Leesville, LA

Posted July 29, 2014
We consider ourselves moderately conservative parents but this school is awful! Mrs Green is a terrible teacher and abuses kids and the school does nothing! It has a massive fighting problem and the academics are lack luster at best! Homeschool is the best option!

Posted April 03, 2014
This was the first year my children went to a public school, because the private school did not have enough extra curricular activities. My children learned a few things, that were not taught at the private school. However, the teachers yelled at the students and when I had concerns and contacted the teachers I never recieved phone calls back, then if I spoke with the principal then the teachers would respond.. I recieved constant calls about F's because the teacher entered the grades incorrectly. For one of the previous comments about students and teachers bullying the other students.. CORRECT!!! If you do not have to send your child here please do not...

Posted December 05, 2013
The amount of bullying at this school is horrible by students and teachers And you can't get anything resolved if you try as all the staff is either family or friends from back when they went to school together. . They place such high value on athletics and not nearly enough on academics. Cancelling school for all grades often so the teachers can all go watch the sports teams play out of town, the school definitely needs to concentrate more on class work so these kids don't fall thru the cracks.

Pickering High School 3

Posted January 08, 2013
This school could be really good. Unfortunately it seems to fall just short in so many ways. There is a significant amount of fighting/bullying in this school. The academics are only so-so. When I spoke to my sons teachers about his academic performance, they told me he was a great kid and not to worry, but then he brings home D's and C's. I really feel like hes just falling through the cracks here...

Posted June 21, 2012
Mr. Jordan if your going to enforce the rules, enforce them all year then. Not just when you feel like it or when the school board gets on your case about it. Also Vernon Parish, what the heck is the point of adding an eighth hour. Exactly, there is no point. You gripe and gripe about losing instructional time whenever we do somthing fun yet here you are saying, "Oh, were not going to keep you any longer then 3:10, but we are going to cut classes down to fourty five minutes. And were cutting your lunch time down to." Yes parents, this is really happening. So basiclly god forbid the kids have any fun when they cut instructional time, now the school is being hypocritical by doing just that. CUTTING INSTRUCTIONAL TIME. What made you feel the need to add an eighth hour. Did the day just feel uneven to you? I'm not just talking about vernon parish, but ever since god knows when. The school system has went from bad to worse. Also one more thing, why more tests? 1 or 2 isn't enough for you people. It just the same thing over and over again. I'm seriously begining to believe that you don't want kids to graduate.

Pickering High School 4

Posted October 10, 2011
Love how my child is doing at this high school. The principal, Mr. Jordan, is doing a fantastic job. My child is challenged daily by caring, wonderful teachers who do an above average job in very crowded classrooms. I believe that the classrooms are overcrowded due to MANY military families driving out-of-district to place their kids here instead of at Vernon Middle/Leesville Jr. High. The best part about this school is the anti-bullying attitude of each employee that I have had the pleasure of meeting. It doesn't matter whether you are a military family here for a few short years or if you are a permanent resident of the area - ALL students are treated fairly, given a chance to succeed, and are awarded for their success. I would recommend this school to any military families coming in to Polk. GO! Meet with the principals and the student counselors. They WILL create an atmosphere that your child can succeed in.

Pickering High School 5

Posted April 12, 2010
First of all. Everyone complains about the LEAP test. All schools in Louisiana teach for the LEAP test. So you cant complain and say that it is just Pickering. Second, The Dress Code issue is parish wide. I have had kids in Rosepine, Leesville and Pickering and these issues are the same at all three. As far as I know Anacoco is the only high school without uniforms I agree with wearing uniforms because if you didnt it would be out of hand. As far as education goes, a couple years ago Pickering was the only school in Vernon Parish that was voted by colleges as having kids ready for college. The sports are above average in the parish. . As far as football goes I would send my kids to Pickering if you want them to get any playing time. At Leesville if you arent a superstar or a politicians kid, you won't play.

Posted February 15, 2010
In the four years in which my children attended this school, all they were worried about was catching what the kids did wrong. All of my children were in and out of ISS because of their shirts not being tucked in or for wearing the wrong pants. One of my daughters even dropped out because of the stress this school was putting on her. How is anyone supposed to learn anything if they are spending more time in ISS than in the classrooms? So what if a student has their shirt untucked, It's no reason to be putting children in ISS. Sending my children to this school was the worst choice of my life!

Pickering High School 0

Posted February 14, 2010
Like what Mr. Jordan, the new principal, is doing for the school. Morale is up and Pride is being restored. Yes, rules are still being enforced. If kids don't want to be in ISS for 'stupid reasons,' follow the rules.

Posted November 19, 2009
Through out the 3 1/2 years in which my children were at this school, all they were worried about was trying to catch everything wrong that a student was doing and not worrying about their studies. my son and daughter was always being stuck in ISS for having shirts untucked or not having the right clothing. How are students supposed to learn if they're always being pulled from class for the stupid reasons.

Pickering High School
180 Lebleu Road, Leesville, LA  71446
Last modified Pickering High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Pickering High School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top