No rating

Cedarwood School

Private | PK-7 | 320 students

Our school is best known for its advanced curriculum and diverse enrollment.

Living in Mandeville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $225,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,070.

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted April 29, 2014

I have taught at many schools in the U.S. and internationally and have never taught with a more professional and caring group of teachers who truly love what they do!!! Cedarwood is definitely one of a kind!!!

Posted March 7, 2014

Cedarwood school was a clear choice for my elder son when we moved from Canada due to work to Louisiana. He felt the student's diversity and warm with small class rooms in grade 3. The caring teachers and staff make you feel that your kid is in safe hands. My little one is in preschool and I feel happy picking up a cheerful child at end of my workday. I believe that if some more focus is given to sports this school would be a real foundation for my kids lives. I am extremly happy to recommend this school for prek and elementary students.

Posted November 20, 2013

Our family loves Cedarwood!! Our children began in the preschool and are now in elementary classes. It is an amazing place filled with an enthusiasm for learning and an intense passion for educating leaders of tomorrow. The administration is very forward thinking and creative in their approach to teaching the students. The faculty and parents are supportive of each other and work together to foster a sense of community and cooperation. It is a small school where really big things are happening everyday. I think if your children are excited to go to school when they wake up in the morning then you have made the right decision.

Posted November 19, 2013

Cedarwood Staff have provided a warm and loving learning environment for my daughter who is in Pre-K. The school encourages and promotes family involvement in the classroom and through events that bring the members of the Cedarwood community together. The staff is accessible and approachable and keep me updated on my daughters needs and progress daily. I know I made the right choice for my daughter as she loves her teachers and loves to go to school.

Posted November 9, 2013

We are so lucky to be a part iof the Cedarwood family. It truly is a foundations for life. Great administration, great teachers, great students equals leaders of tomorrow!

Posted November 4, 2013

Cedarwood is a wonderful school with a family feel. The caring teachers work with each childs' educational needs. My children have been there since preschool and we have been extremely happy!

Posted October 29, 2013

Excellent school, diverse student body, small class size. wonderful caring teachers and staff. My children have blossomed since transferring from a larger private school in the area.The teachers are able to give focused attention to each child, and don't seem stressed out or overwhelmed by trying to manage a huge class. Class size is limited to 14 students- you won't find this anywhere else in the area.

Posted October 27, 2013

My daughter has been attending Cedarwood School, and is now in her second year there. We have found the school to be very open to individualized teaching, and have had a fantastic experience with both teachers and administration. The school encourages children to be the best they can be individually and as a group, teaches the subject matter (instead of just teaching to the test requirements, as many schools do), and adjusts the curriculum when it is too difficult or too easy for the child. I am so happy that we moved our daughter to this school and look forward to many more years in this environment.

Posted October 25, 2013

Cedarwood school is excellent. It has an international focus and is outstanding. Although the local public schools are well regarded, this school definitely is a better learning environment and a great place for your child to develop

Posted October 23, 2013

As a teacher at Cedarwood School I am proud to say that this school exceeds my expectations above and beyond other schools in more ways than one. Cedarwood offers an environment which is accepting and welcoming of any child. Teachers not only know the names of their own students, but of all the students in the school. This environment provides students with a sense of unity, security, and most importantly a family-like atmosphere for learning and growing. Aside from being a teacher at Cedarwood, I also have one child in the nursery class of the preschool. The staff at the preschool is phenomenal and I wouldn't dream of having my daughter anywhere else. The staff is more like an extension of our family and her face lights up each morning when we walk in the door. Cedarwood, together as a preschool and an elementary school, is a unique journey that every child should experience.

Posted October 23, 2013

I can honestly say that being a teacher at Cedarwood School is a true blessing. It is my home away from home and I would not have it any other way. The friendships I have formed with the faculty will last a lifetime. Here at Cedarwood School, we are able to teach with freedom and creativity...and because of that, we have the most confident and happy students around!

Posted October 22, 2013

I am a middle school science teacher, but I am also a parent because my children attend Cedarwood. It is an amazing school, very different than any other school I have ever had the opportunity to work at, observe, evaluate or attend. One of the best parts of Cedarwood is the philosophy that class sizes should remain small in order to allow all students to feel successful. As a teacher, the small class sizes allow me to teach with a hands-on approach where every student can be engaged in lessons. I am also able to give students better one-on-one attention if and when they need it. Our school may be small, but it is not small on opportunities for children to excel. Not only in academics, but also in athletics and other groups. We have the following athletic groups: girls volleyball, boys flag football, cross country, girls and boys basketball teams, an a track team. Students are able to become members various clubs, such as drama club, cheerleading and many more. In short Cedarwood is a place where students feel successful and where students love school.

Posted October 22, 2013

Cedarwood is a school built on the principle that EVERY child deserves an education that promotes life-long learning. We call it a "Foundation for Life". This foundation is built on the consistant parent/teacher communication, the cooperation between adminstration and faculty members to constantly improve teaching strategies, and the individualized approach that small class sizes lends to classroom teachers. Because of this belief and the belief of our parents in our school, we are currently in the process of expanding the current facilities on which our building foundations were laid 30 years ago . Cedarwood is a Mandeville treasure and should be your first stop of schools to tour for next year.

Posted October 22, 2013

Cedarwood School became my family's home away from home when we moved here 9 years ago. I have seen them nurture and educate my child so that she is an independent learner with a great self esteem. I feel privileged to not only be a parent but a teacher at this school. Thank you for so many great years. We are looking forward to watching our child grow and learn where she is valued and loved each day!

Posted October 22, 2013

I am excited to share my experiences at Cedarwood School with you. I have three children who have experienced all facets of the curriculum areas--from preschool to lower school to middle school. I have been tremendously pleased with the quality of the teachers, of the education and the amazing school environment. Each of my children is unique and each of them have received an education that challenges and motivates them at every grade level. They are comfortable and happy at Cedarwood School. Many of their friends attend other schools--both public and private--and their joy at being at Cedarwood School and no other is often a source of conversation in our home. The sense of community simply cannot be beat!! Visit. I know you will see the spirit of the school shortly after entering the doors.

Posted October 22, 2013

I am one the Faculty members at Cedarwood Preschool. I have been around for 13 yrs. I LOVE my job, and all the staff. I couldn't work in a more pleasant Atmosphere. The Teachers come to work ready for anything and everything that will happen in the day and life of all the children. Parents are always remarking to me how safe and loved they feel their children are here. I am proud to be a member of the Cedarwood Family.

Posted October 22, 2013

My children have both attended Cedarwood School in Mandeville, LA. It is a wonderful preschool/elementary/middle school. They take pride in a challenging and fun curriculum and a wide variety of students and families from various backgrounds, which only adds to the learning experiences of all of the children at Cedarwood. The families are encouraged to bring and share their cultures with the Cedarwood family. Both of my children have had their own unique gifts and learning abilities. Cedarwood has embraced their abilities, as well as shortcomings, and helped my children to grow not only academically but socially. You see, they look at a child in a complete perspective: social, academic, athletic, creative. They can pull all of a child's strengths out through their diverse curriculum and build help build their confidence hence, helping them achieve academically. When I walk into the school, every person on staff seems to know my child personally and can always help when she has a need. This is such a comfort to my child which brings comfort to me as a parent. They encourage the support of all parents daily which is also a very unique quality of this school.

Posted October 10, 2013

This school seems to be going through some changes. Many of the teachers and management are new. We had a great experience with our 5 year old, but a great deal of problems with our 2 year old. I was shocked at the one size fits all approach to children so young. We had to justify to the new 2 year old teacher and principle that our child was normal by hiring a child psychologist who said there was nothing wrong with our child. They have a very limiting program. To be honest, I really don't think this school is worth the money either. I think they had a great early reputation, and have been growing. With all the new staff and management, they are not the school they used to be.

Posted October 5, 2013

Cedarwood School is such a welcoming, friendly atmosphere and is known for its nurturing environment and stimulating curriculum. I can't say enough good things about this school. I have a child in preschool at Cedarwood and would not have him anywhere else! Cedarwood has something for everyone.

Posted September 20, 2013

My son is currently enrolled at Cedarwood School and is in the seventh grade. I am very impressed with the high standards that Cedarwood teachers and administration impose on their students. The staff is very energetic and know each child by their first name. The community feeling in the school is amazing. The extra-curricular activities offer a little bit of everything for each and every student. The small class sizes make it possible for each student to get individual guidance. My only complaint about Cedarwood would be that there is no 8th grade and my son will have to go to another school next year. My family loves Cedarwood School!

Asian 6% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 1%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • 5th Grade Student of the Year Finalist (2012)
  • Regional Social Studies Fair (2013)
  • State Social Studies Fair (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Technology

Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Swimming pool

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Kathryn LeBlanc, M.Ed.
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

Media arts
  • Computer animation
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Girl scouts
  • Student council/government
  • Television/Radio News

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What does it cost?

Tuition range for the 2013-2014 school year
$5000 - $8000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
St. Paul's High School