Fontainebleau High School

Public | 8-12 | 2017 students

Posted March 26, 2008

I am a former student and I couldn't have asked to go to a better school. The school is clean & safe. The teachers are wonderful and very helpful. It prepared me very well for college. There are also a wide array of activities offered for students there. You'd be doing for kids a favor by sending them to this school.

Posted January 11, 2008

I have been extremely impressed with the superb leadership and high level of involvement in this school. It's a great learning community.

Posted July 12, 2007

Excellent school. Top-notch honors and advanced classes program. Great teachers!

Posted February 3, 2007

After reading that previous review from another recent Fontainebleau graduate, I feel obligated to share my feelings about the school as well. I graduated last year, and I am currently a freshman at Louisiana State University. I feel completely grateful I got to attend FHS. The teachers were amazing and the number one priority was to prepare the students for life after high school (for most of us, that is college). I was more than prepared for my college studies. Not only was I prepared academically, but prepared in other ways as well. My experiences at FHS helped me to develop exceptional time management skills and work ethic that has been invaluable for me for my college life. The opportunities I had through all the extracurricular activities truly topped off a great experience at FHS. Challenging, caring, exciting, spirited...just a few of the words to describe the wonderful school FHS is.

Posted January 31, 2007

I graduated from FHS 2 years ago and I believe that the offered me the best education I could receive on the Northshore. The teachers are excellent and really push the students to excel. My younger brother and sister still attend FHS and although they say that the principle has made things a little more strict around campus, they still enjoy going to the school. FHS offers a well rounded education with extra-curricular activities ranging from the yearbook, chess club, National Honor Society, Golf team, Football, etc.... Attending FHS was one of the greatest chapters of my life, and I will always hold the school near to my heart!

Posted October 25, 2006

I agree with every other review that has stated that this school is great because of the pta involvement and the hard working staff. This school is a prime example of how everyone working together can bring about a fine education for our children...Go Dawgs!

Posted September 3, 2006

The administration is definitely one of the driving forces behind the school's success. Dr. Sanford is an amazing administrator and rare gem in the world of education. The top priority definitely seems to be what is best for the kids.

Posted April 10, 2006

I've been pretty pleased with this school and my son has been happy with it as well. He has grown into a very mature and intelligent young adult. It is a large school but at least no one will be shocked when they end up going to a large college. Most of my son's teachers seem very nice and I have not had any problems with any of them.

Posted March 26, 2006

great staff with awesome teachers and administrators that keep the school running smoothly.

Posted March 21, 2006

Great school...a lot of parental and community support and a great atmosphere for learning. I have substituted at this school before and I have seen the quality of what is being taught. The kids also seem to get a long better than you would expect for teenagers. I think this is the best high school around.

Posted March 12, 2006

This is an excellent school with great teachers and hard working administrators. It is obvious that the staff's number one priority is student success. Discipline is enforced and the school is kept up well. Despite the school being so large, it has a small school feel with many classes kept small. The curriculum is challenging, especially the honors and AP curriculum, and is known to surpass many private/catholic schools. The school also has many successful extracurricular programs and my children all love Fontainebleau. I also try to get involved with the school as much as I can, something that seems to be always encouraged and many parents do volunteer (which makes a difference in our children's education). The community support is also unbelievable. GO BULLDOGS!

Posted January 15, 2006

As a parent, I have to say I have had no regrets sending my children to this school. When I moved to Louisiana, I was concerned about the education of my children, mainly because Louisiana is definitely not known for its educational opportunities. However, I did my research and Fontainebleau was one of the few schools I found that seemed to perform very high, besided it being located in an area I wanted to move to. Well I asked around about fhs (realtors, parents, etc.) and found nothing but positive comments. After almost 2 years of my children attending the school, I have had no complaints. My children love it as well. The teachers are caring, the curriculum is challenging, and the staff does a stupendous job of running a great school. The school spirit is also tremedous! Not just a five star school to me, but a perfect 10!

Posted January 10, 2006

Absolutely worthless school, teachers enjoy acting in extremely stubborn attitudes and the foreign language department is beyond any measurable method to show its failure. Maybe if the teachers actually decided to use their brains more people would pass those classes and possibly maybe even learn the language. Oh well, not a perfect world eh? The school is haunted by a god awful layout, I mean it sure is really smart to just make one gigantic hallway so that you have one huge chokepoint and blockage to the max. Restroom facilities should have biohazard signs painted on the door, and it seems the only place that is physically cared for is the teacher's lounge. Most books in horrid condition, and surprisingly stupid and absurdly broken classes, like Career Orientation (which I might add is very useful for a freshman to take -_-)... And more, can't fit the rest.

Posted January 5, 2006

After hurricane Katrina, my family had to relocate in Mandeville in St. Tammany Parish. My daughter began at Fountainbleau and has had a great experience making many new friends. It seems to be popular opinion amongst people who have relocated here due to the storm that the Mandeville kids are snobby and rude, but I can tell you that really isn't true. When my daughter heard that she actually laughed and found that comment quite ridiculous. She told me there are a few 'snobs' but most people have been sincerely welcoming of her at fhs. She loves her teachers. She has told me that they are enthusiastic about teaching and truly want to see the kids learn, something not as common at the school my daughter was previously attending on the southshore. She has had a great experience and seems to be learning a lot.

Posted December 13, 2005

I have had two children graduate from Fountainbleau in recent years and both have told me they feel the school did a great job to prepare them for college. One of them had a 3.8 in honors and AP classes and now maintains a 4.0 in college. The other was in on level classes and had 3.0 now is making around a 3.5 at LSU. My children made a 32(AP student) and a 27 (on level student) on the ACT. I have another child going to FHS next year and I am excited to be a bulldog mom again. This school is a superb school!

Posted December 6, 2005

This school has been a very good school for my children. However, if your child is just an average performer and cannot handle the honors or AP classes the education is not as good. The on level classes have such a range of kids that it makes it difficult for the teacher to cover as much as the high level course.

Posted November 13, 2005

Great school...excels in all areas. Great academics with much parental support. A very positive environment to send your kids to learn. Plus, it seems the staff is constantly finding new ways to improve upon its success. Definitely a 5 star school!

Posted September 24, 2005

What a great school. Parent involvement is trememdous and is one of the main reason the school is as great as it is. I have had such great experiences with my first child going here and won't hesitate to send my second to fhs as well!

Posted September 16, 2005

I went to FHS and graduated two years ago, and loved it! I hear that it is even better now with the new principal. The school offers students so much: great academics, great sports teams, great fine arts education...and so much more. I wouldn't have been happier going to any other school. I was also more than prepared for college.

Posted June 9, 2005

I began at FHS the first year it opened in 1994. There were no seniors at that time, so no one was making fun of the lower classmen. The attitude that each and every student is special remained throughout my final year there, and upon speaking w/ current students, it is still the same way. I was also very well prepared for my college studies. The staff at fhs was always there to help you learn and understand, and i count my blessings that i was able to attend and graduate from fontainebleau high school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

375 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

375 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 25%N/A67%

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school Fontainebleau Junior High School
Monteleone Junior High School
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Positive Behavior System score of 100% (2008)
  • Golden Achievement Award (6 years in a row) (2008)
  • School of Recognized Academic Growth (2008)

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Visual impairments
Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)

Media arts
  • Video / Film production

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • We have many parent volunteers who do everything from work in the front office to campus beautification. donations from businesses and individuals help fund scholarships, sports, and clubs. volunteers also serve on committees both academic and extra-curricular.

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
Fontainebleau Junior High School
Monteleone Junior High School

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Louisiana State University