Avoyelles Public Charter School

Charter | K-12 | 554 students

Living in Mansura

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $89,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $497.

Sweep tile

Posted October 6, 2013

We were happy our Granddaughter got into APCS, she is learning so much, more homework but that's a good thing Awaiting our twin grandsons which are now 3 going to St Mary. As want them learning as soon as possible. So Happy that they had a pre-K3. Thanks APCS for helping our granddaughter get into such a postive attitude school...

Posted November 9, 2011

I am a sophomore at APCS and I just would like to say this is the school to be. I was transferred my freshman year, I have to admit it was quite an adjustment for the first year. Now is just my second year here and it is absolutely amazing there are tons of wonderful teachers and other staff members that love you and be there by your side every step of the way making sure you are doing what you are supposed ti be doing. Besides adults caring for you there are so many wonderful loving friends. I AM SO GLAD TO BE A VIKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted April 26, 2010

I am a teacher in a local Avoyelles Parish School. I transferred my daughter to APCS to allow her to be a part of the rich learning culture that takes place there. I am quite pleased with the school and I would not put her anywhere else in this parish. I love the fact that there is more to the school than the LEAP test. There are a lot of activities and field trips that makes the learning experience exciting. My daughter had quite an adjustment period during her first year there because of the style of teaching, but she loves it now. Part of the reason why I continue to live in this parish is her education at APCS... I LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted June 8, 2009

This is going to be my third year at APCS, now to be a freshmen. Mrs.Julie has done everything she can to improve our education. This past year, both 8th grade classes(for the first year in the school's history) passed the Leap, with no failures. Let's just say, Mrs. Julie was literally crying as she read the reviews for our scores. I love it here, and I just can't seem to see me anywhere else!

Posted January 27, 2009

I am so happy with APCS!! My children love going there. I am amazed at what my children come home and tell me they did at school. No wonder there's a waiting list!

Posted October 1, 2008

APCHS is the most awesome school I've ever been to! They were so open minded when I came here. I was a foreign exchange student at APCHS and they helped me so much... The teachers and Mrs. Lori & Judy are awesome and I couldn't imagine attending another school during my exchange year!

Posted February 17, 2008

This is the most awsome school i have ever been to I attend middle schhol there and I am planning to stay in school there.

Posted February 11, 2008

My children have attended A.P.C.S. sense it opened. It's a challanging school that inspires greatness from it's students, parents and educators striving for each student's personal best. I wouldn't know how to rate a school, but I do know that you couldn't pay me to send the loves of my lives anywhere else in Avoyelles Parish. I appreciate all that is done everyday for the education and safe well being of my children while in school. As a parent, I love A.P.C.S.!

Posted September 26, 2007

i am very pleased we decided to send our child to apcs the teachers principal and staff have not only passion for their school but a passion for the students. their hard work is helping shape our children and their fture.

Posted June 4, 2007

I love this school and can't imagine my education being given to me any other way!

Posted April 26, 2007

APCS has an outstanding academic program, a variety of electives, and a beautiful new campus. However, the teacher turnover rate in the last couple of years has me very concerned. APCS has lost a number of quality teachers and seems to be having a hard time replacing them. A beautiful school and a great curriculum alone do not make a successful school. I very much want this school to continue to excel, therefore I hope this issue is being addressed extensively and expediently.

Posted September 18, 2006

Avoyelles Public Charter School is the gold of this state. Their curriculum is advanced and for the good of the children. It is a role model for the state and the state would do good to follow in this schools footsteps. A.P.C.S. is in the process of building an $11 million dollar building project including a high school building, gymnasium, and a performing arts center. They are striving to allow kids to attain college credits before reaching college and to allow the children to be advanced in every way. Louisiana and the rest of our country would do good by following the footsteps of this great school in Louisiana.

Posted November 5, 2005

My children started at APCS the first day it opened and now we are being transferred through my husbands job. It has been hard looking for a school in another state to match the standards that I have been accustomed to at APCS. I grew up in Avoyelles Parish and I wish that the public school system would close its doors and all children could reap the benefits of the charter system.It is run like no other school I have known. New students and parents can't go in there with anything but an open mind. And don't be a lazy parent at this school. It will only hurt your children. I will desperately miss APCS.

Posted June 1, 2005

I am a proud supporter of the APCS and my daughter, who has been attending this institution for the past four years. Without a doubt, APCS is one of, if not THE, crown jewels of Avoyelles parish. Thanks to Julie and her incredible staff for affording us this wonderful alternative to traditional public education in Avoyelles parish.

Posted May 30, 2005

I am a student at APCS and I love it there! I have been a part of APCS since year one. My teachers are so nice and they make learning fun. I don't think I have ever been at a better school in my entire life. The high school is being built and I plan to stay there until College. They have big plans for the future, they give me better oppertunities for a better education. I thank God every day to be blessed with such dedicated teachers and a devoted principal to educate me. Some students (including my classmates) want to go to different high schools for sports or for the popularity of the school. But I can always say that I got a great education at APCS. That is one thing that NOBODY can take from me. I love my school and nothing can change that.

Posted January 21, 2004

My children started at APCS in its first year. We are now in our fourth year and it has been the best thing for my children and my family. Yes, it is different than the other schools in the state, but I don't have to worry about my child being labeled anymore. They worked with my oldest for three years and Julie Durand told her she would never give up on her. It took alot of hard work between all of us and it was well worth it. She was recently inducted into the Jr. Beta Club. My previous years in the Public and private schools were not pleasant relationships. I learned quickly at APCS that parents, students and teachers can work as a team. Thanks APCS and Julie Durand.

Posted January 18, 2004

The Avoyelles Public Charter School is a great school. My son is an 8th grader there and is doing well. The learning environment is rich and varied. I like the direct instruction but I'm not as crazy about the Saxon Math program. They have an interesting curriculum and take a lot of field trips. It's a wonderful school if parents plan to be involved with their child's education.

Posted September 4, 2003

My 2 oldest children started at APCS when it opened. At first it was a big adjustment for them and myself because so much more is required of the children and parents. They have now adjusted very well to this type of school. My youngest has started kindergarten this year and he has learned so much in the past 3 weeks! Julie Durand is a great Director and the teachers are wonderful! They are not there to just collect a paycheck like the last school my children attended. Keep up the good work!

Posted August 14, 2003

Both of my children go to school at APCS. This school has done wonders in teaching my children. My 6 year old actually knows who Beethoven is!! My 13 yr old is learning so much too. She is more confident now than she has ever been. Both of my children are proud of their school and don't mind doing their projects and homework. The teachers are wonderful and seem to want to help the children grow. I am glad that this school is here for this parish. I only wish APCS would have been here when I was in school!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 70% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 68% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

55 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

55 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

n/a

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Source: NCES, 2010-2011

• Julie C. Durand
Fax number
  • (318) 253-8453

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Vocational education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

201 Longfellow Road