Archbishop Shaw High School

Private | 8-12

Living in Marrero

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $102,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $860.

Sweep tile

Posted November 3, 2013

Attending Shaw was an awesome experience for me. I graduated over 6 years ago but I find that I think about it almost every day and how much of a great place it was/is. Contrary to what some believe, it is not a jock school. I wasn't involved in athletics, but I was respected as much as any other student. I have friendships to this day which began at Archbishop Shaw. I am in law school now and proudly wear my Shaw necktie on a regular basis. I have a daughter, but if I ever have sons, I'm going to highly encourage them to consider Shaw.

Posted March 25, 2013

I am going here on sports scholarships, how is the school, and i want to hear from students. I see many mixed feelings here. Gotta be better than Jeff or Cox..............

Posted June 19, 2011

As a student at shaw for the 2010-2011 school year it was the worst school that I had ever been to most teachers have favorites and the students are ignorant and disrespectful towards each other. This school needs more rules and more respect for their fellow class mates and teachers.

Posted May 22, 2011

Are you still teaching at Archbishop Shaw??? I'm appalled at this type of remark. What are you doing about it, if you are a teacher?

Posted November 15, 2010

The students and faculty take pride in everything that they do. Students are encouraged to do their best! A valuable lesson that is taught at the school is respect for all. I encourage you to look into the educational benefits of this school for your son.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 17, 2010

As an alumni and teacher, I am appalled at what this school has become. Teachers are forced to change grades to pass students, and student drug abuse gets ignored on a daily basis. In addition, the disciplinary attitudes of the administration are outrageous. Please save your son, and keep him far away.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 14, 2009

This school is amazing. I want everyone to send their child here.

Posted September 26, 2009

I am somewhat disappointed in Shaw because it is geared towards sports and alumni only. The teachers are inconsistent and never on thesame page. The school does have drugs, because there was just an incident that the parents were not informed of. My son is asking to be transfered and I think I am going to do just that.

Posted September 17, 2009

I am a parent of a student at Shaw. We are very pleased with the school. This is my son second year there and he loves it. I can not agree with the reviews that were previously written because I have never had a problem here.The teachers are great . If you email them with any problen they quickly respond and handle the problem. The comments about hte school being full of drugs and tash, that is defintinly NOT true. The principal at Shaw does not tolerate anything like that at the school. Shaw Is a very competivie school when it comes to sports, but what school isn't, they're no different from any other high school. My son and I love the school and it's wonderful with the academic componet. If you want a nice, respectful son, Archbishiop Shaw is the place to send them.

Posted September 16, 2009

Archbishop is one of the top all male catholic high schools in the New Orleans metro area. Many local and state leaders have graduated from Shaw. It has a caring staff and dedicated educators.

Posted October 31, 2008

This is my son's second year. He is doing well and the faculty is caring towards the students. The class size is ideal. Shaw used to be a sports focused school. While they still have an excellenct sports program, the academics is wonderful. Their average ACT score is the second highest in the city. The administration wants students to succeed. They also students accountable for their actions. I am so happy my son decided to fly with the eagles!

Posted November 5, 2007

I am a student at Shaw. Shaw has always had a bad rap everywhere besides the westbank. The only thing Shaw is good for is sports and when they are not winning the whole school is not winning. The English and Math departments are terrible, I find that I teach myself the things that I feel are important. The laptops we received were a terrible idea, teachers never used them, they do not work, and the internet is inconsistent. Also, I feel that the administration and teachers are on a different page. This school is full of drugs and trash, please do not send your kids to Shaw and do them a favor in sending them across the river.
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 1, 2007

January 2007 Shaw is an excellent school with a caring administration. The use of edline keeps parents posted weekly on their sons progress and contains e-mail addresses for all teachers. Shaw is a family environment that wants all students to succeed. The religious presence keeps a true catholic presence in the school. Teachers care about your son and offer tutoring before and after school and during lunch. They rank second in the city with ACT scores. Class sizes are smaller than most schools. Sports do not run this school as some think. Coaches will bench students if they are not cutting the grades. I cannot imagine my son at any other school!

Posted May 21, 2005

Shaw is an excellent school. It is a great Catholic institution run by the Salesians of Don Bosco. It is the only Catholic high school in the area, with the exception of Jesuit, that is still run by a religious order and I believe that it means a lot. The faculty and administration are the most caring individuals I have ever met in my entire life. Shaw ranks 2nd in ACT scores. Shaw has excellent extracurriculars with caring, competent moderators. Shaw has a very family-oriented environment and everyone knows your name. I could not imagine sending my child to any other school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 16, 2005

This school is unspeakably bad. The academics are poor and clique-driven. Sports are the single important entity at the school, but the coaches will not support the academics. The administration is boorish and inefficient. The school is a nightmare. We are going to pull our boy out of the school and send him to a public institution. Give up on getting solid help from the support staff and plan on your child being ignored by the counseling staff unless you are somehow connected to the school on a social or professional basis. Parents are not encouraged to participate or are shut out altogether. Shaw is possibly the worst school with any real reputation in the state.

Asian 9% N/A
Two or more races 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All boys
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New Orleans

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1000 Barataria Blvd