L.W. Higgins High School

Public | 9-12 | 1453 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 10, 2014

My school is a very safe school. The teachers are ready to teach, They are always looking out for the students. when I go to school i am ready to learn.

Posted November 9, 2011

I recently relocated to the state and Higgins is my resident home school. So far I am not impressed with much there. I did met the pricipal and he seems to care about the school and the students but that's it. The office staff are not very friendly or too helpful for that matter. I have offered to become a volunteer and no one has contacted me yet. I went on the campus today and walked around uninterepted. No one on the campus stopped me to ask me what I was doing there. Thank God I wasn't there to hurt anyone. My daughter had something taken from her and then someone tried to get her to pay them to get it back. What is really going on there. I am going to spend all my time and limited resources trying to find another school or do what ever possible to help improve this one. Unfortunately my daughter doesn't want to change schools but she doesn't know what's best for her, I do.

Posted April 14, 2010

LW Higgins is an excellent school and is just getting better now that we have a new principal.

Posted April 26, 2009

this school has then and now tauht my child everything

Posted February 2, 2009

This school is terrible. I have a fear evrey time i go there. Everyone is so rude and i htink ima get jumped, teachers dont say tight on there rules and idontknoww. Just please dont put your kid through something like this school.. The only reason im going here is because its free, and its right by my house. Could you believe that?

Posted October 6, 2008

L.W. Higgins is an outstanding high school thats gets no support from the school board.If more parents were to get involved and confront the school board this school would be the best in the city.They do good in athletics every year but just no fan support.In my opinion Higgins should be supported more because their really a good school with great students.im happy that my child is currently attending

Posted January 29, 2008

This school is the worst on the westbank. I was very unhappy with my child at this school. I have never seen a school as bad as this school. I would nt recommend this school for any child either. Do yourself and your child a favor and send them somewhere else. Academics are not great as there are not even enough teachers to cover all of the classes.

Posted January 12, 2008

I would not recommend this school for any child. I know first hand and let me tell you this is one of the worse schools i have been to so far. Don't make the mistake of putting your child here.

Posted October 25, 2007

Academics are Great! All extracurricular activities imaginable are available.Parents are constantly involved in their children's academic careers. As a matter of fact L.W. Higgins has the highest scores in Math and Reading than any other high school in Jefferson Parish! An abundance of parents come to Parent Teacher Conference all the time. I will defiantly recommend this school for parents.

Posted April 16, 2007

Congratulations to the teacher who turned away students at the prom who chose to break the dress code agreement they had previously agreed to. We need more teachers and principals with this kind of courage! Bravo on maintaining standards.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

362 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

364 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

• David Lewis
Fax number
  • (504) 341-8110

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7201 Lapalco Boulevard