Bad
Good

Posted November 17, 2014
Joseph J. Davies Elementary has been awarded the 2014 National Blue Ribbon Award for High Performance. It is very exciting since we are only one of four public schools in the state to recieve this honor!

Posted October 27, 2013
I love Davies Elementary! I am a second year teacher and I have had the opportunity to spend a lot of time at many schools and I am truly blessed to be working for such a great school like Davies. I have a great team of teachers that I can call on no matter what. I have an administrative team that I can go to with any comments or concerns and they listen and respond in a timely manner. I have a great relationship with the office staff, janitors, and paraprofessionals that I work with as well. Not only is Davies a great place to work, but it is a top school that I send two of my three children to. The teachers keep up with the daily changes in the implementation of the common core. I know from experience that the teachers truly love their students. My kids are treated with respect and they feel like they are welcomed and loved every day. I love Davies Elementary and I wouldn't want to teach or send my children anywhere else. The family atmosphere that we have at Davies is like no other. Great school to work at and send my kids. It truly is an A+ school!

Posted October 25, 2005
My daughter attened Davies from pre-school to 1st grade. I fell that is is a wonderful and no other can stand up. The teachers and principal are one of a kind. She will no longer attend Davis because of Hurricane Katrina. Joseph Davies will be missed.

Joseph J. Davies Elementary School 2

Posted August 12, 2005
Joseph Davies School can be great or horrible depending who you are! Both of my children attend Davies and are excellent students. The problem is that there are MANY children who are disciplinary problems (generally students with ADD,ADHD or other DISRUPTING problems) and I do NOT understand how these children are being PASSED! In grade levels which tests are not given these children are just being passing onto the next grade! I think these children should be in special classes and away from children who are able to learn without extra attention. Finally, Many of these children are receiving special counseling within the Parish School system so it's not an excuse that the Principal, Ms.Harlton is not aware of who these children are. Finally, Ms. Harlton makes sure to know every child and I know she is aware of this issue.

Posted October 10, 2004
Both of my children attended davies. My daughter is still there 5th grade. The learning and attention given when special help is needed is great. The counselor is a very caring loving person with the children. My son absolutely adored her as she worked endlessly with him on his socialization skills. Their principal mrs. Harlton is a gem.. She knows every child in her school, i don't just mean know who they are, she really knows her kids. The teachers are always available to discuss concerns about the children and work with the parents to resolve those concerns. Really a great school. The best in st. Bernard parish.

Posted August 05, 2004
Davies School has provided my daughther with a caring enviroment. The principal and teachers do evertything that they can to motivate the students. The students have so many fun events to look forward to throughout the year. Every child has a chance to shine at Davies.

Posted July 14, 2004
My son has attended Davies since they opened. I find all of the main curriculum teachers to be wonderful, but the Physical Education classes are disappointing. I always believed P.E. was a time for kids to move around and get exercise. My son has been reprimanded for not 'sitting on his square' for a period of time. I was also told that he did not do exercises 'properly'. I feel there should be more activity and a less perfection required for the students to be 'physically' educated. The extra preparation given during 4th grade for LEAP was superb. The Hand in Hand program was a good way for the parents to understand what the students were being tested on. It gave me a chance to work more closely with my son to ensure that he was well prepared for the test. Our years with Davies have been most pleasant.

Joseph J. Davies Elementary School 4

Posted June 19, 2004
My daughter came to Davies as a 3rd grader. In fourth grade the preparation for Leap was unbelievable. My daughter did very well. However, her ITBS scores did not reflect this. She is reading almost 2 grade levels lower. Now fifth grade was the worst. I continued to ask for tips, help with her reading,etc. to no avail. After her graduation, I fould out there is a reading lab she could attend 3 times a week. We were never told of this. I even asked for an evaluation, but was dismissed. My child was well behaved so they would not consider her to have a learning disability. She passed reading with a B, however on ITBS she is in the 30%. Her reading grade level is still at the 3.5 -4.7 mark and she is entering 6th grade. Very unhappy with her teachers, I asked and asked for help only to be blown off.

Joseph J. Davies Elementary School 1

Posted June 19, 2004
The three years my child spent at Davies were horrible. I pleaded and pleaded for help to improve his reading test scores. I asked for evaluations but was dismissed as unnecessary. Why? No one could tell me. My husband and I worked with him on our own. He graduated with a B for a final reading grade. However, his ITBS scores reflect he is only in the 30th percentile. He has a reading grade equivalent of 4.5 and He is entering the 6th grade.I find this disgraceful. After graduation I found out there was a reading lab 3 times a week. Why was my child not able to take advantage of this program?

Posted October 09, 2003
Davies Teachers and staff go above and beyond in all areas. My husband and I feel truly blessed to have our children in such a top notch school with such loving people.

Joseph J. Davies Elementary School
4101 Mistrot Drive, Meraux, LA  70075
Last modified Joseph J. Davies Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.