Ridgewood Preparatory School

Private | PK-12 | 246 students

Living in Metairie

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $165,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Sweep tile

Posted December 6, 2011

great school u wouldnt get better than this people brag about metairie academy or gretna acdemy common u cannot beat ridgewood .love it i would say best investment.

Posted March 15, 2011

Academically, this school is wonderful. As a parent, I am greatly disappointed in the administration/budgeting of this school. Simple things like the gym scoreboard lights being out or replaced w/ different color lights, the gym needs repainting and needs air conditioning! How are the children supposed to play when it's 90 degrees in there? Also, there is no working school bus - so when the teams have sporting events elsewhere, it is up to the children to get there and back on their own (most kids ride with their parents or carpool, but it's irresponsible of the school to expect kids to get their own rides when they are playing in places as far away as Slidell! It's little things like this that tell me that the school is WASTING money. I have heard from other parents that parents have volunteered FREE OF CHARGE to paint the gym, even offered up a almost-new school bus for FREE to the school, but Headmaster Montgomery turned them down. Why when it's free? Would he rather the school look bad??? A lot of parents feel the same way as we do and there are grumblings that many are looking elsewhere for their child's education next year due to the administration/budgeting issues.

Posted April 27, 2010

This is an amazing school where children are taught responsibility, respect, and accountability. Students enjoy a strong education plus ample opportunities for involvement in campus government, sports, music and other fine arts. There is a great emphasis on reading, math, language and science which prepares students well for college. Ridgewood features a diverse population of students from many backgrounds and inclusion is the hallmark of the student body. I speak as a graduate and parent. You simply cannot do better for your child.

Posted September 16, 2009

good education....goos faculty and administration

Posted September 15, 2009

The classes are small and highly educated staff with many years of experience with children. The headmaster has been there over 50 years and is dedicated to bringing out the best in each child.

Posted July 8, 2009

I go to Ridgewood. This will be my second year there ,and i will be a Freshman. Ridgewood has taught me so many things. I had alot of catching up to do in 8th grade b/c i was coming from just a school that let anybody past. With the help of Mr.Montgomery and my teachers I was able to take all 9th grade classes last year. Students are very diversed. Ridgewood doesn't have the best sport teams because the motto is to always put school first. It's insanely diffucult at first. I love it there. So what if the buildings are old ; there all very clean. It doesn't matter if the place is very old because it teaches alot to all children regardless of race or age. That's why i love Ridgewood and will continue to go there until i graduate.
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 25, 2009

I attended Ridgewood for 8 years and I was always happy there. It's not a school where you can slip on by. I certainly had to work hard for my grades. The teachers were tough, but we gave them a tough time, too. The headmaster, Mr. Montgomery, has been there for a really long time. He's definitely a big part of the Golden Eagle experience. I hope he's still there when my son is old enough to attend.

Posted October 7, 2007

My child attended Ridgewood from 7th grade through her senior year and she absolutely loved it. It's a very safe school and the teachers are great.

Posted August 5, 2007

I highly recommend Ridgewood. My 2 sons and niece graduated from Ridgewood over the last 5 years and had nothing but wonderful experiences with the school, teachers and the headmaster (who is truly an unsung hero). Academics are second to none - all 3 are soaring through college, especially in the first 2 years. They tell me it's like a review because they were so well prepared by Ridgewood. If you're looking for the right school, remember, colleges won't and don't just accept anyone; they're competitive. That's where school choice matters and Ridgewood's students go to the best, top colleges across the nation. Ridgewood really has the whole environment - as they always told me, their motto (so true) - students get the 'total education' at Ridgewood. I miss it but see the results in my kids every day!

Posted May 30, 2007

Great school for a student who wants to be challenged. This school is not for everyone. Send your child there if you want to get a great education compared to any public school in Jefferson Parish. I don't know how it compares to Newman or Country Day but Ridgewood is not a big money Yuppy school. I am amazed when I hear a parent raving about a certain school. Usually they are only raving because they are comparing their school to schools in Louisiana. My children have attended public schools on the North Shore and Jefferson Parish. I know not everyone can afford it but look into a good private school.

Posted April 19, 2007

Ridgewood is a great school with a few flaws. The main building is not sanitary. (overall uncleanliness) If this school would spend some money on upgrades, it would truly be the perfect school.

Posted January 9, 2007

We have two children at Ridgewood. One is a senior. Both of our children have been at Ridgewood for 10 years. We have nothing but wonderful experiences with the school. The teachers are first class and are highly credentialed. The administration has always responded to any concern or request we have had -- and they have done so with great speed and concern. The academics have been second to none. Our children are known by most of the teachers because of the size of the student body. We looked at many schools before choosing Ridgewood and have no regrets. I am a professor and deal with education matters on a regular basis. Even my overly critical eye gives Ridgewood a superior rating. Also, the fact that the school is accredited by SACS is a real plus.

Posted April 19, 2005

My son had a terrible experience at Ridgewood, and I wish we had never set foot in the door. My son was harrased all year by one child and the teachers and administration did nothing to stop it, but if someone accused my son of doing something, even if he had witnesses to prove otherwise, he was automatically suspended. My son also had his wallet stolen twice in the short time he was there. The principal just said, 'too bad', and did nothing to find the thief. I would not recommend this school to anyone, even if it were the last private school on earth.

Posted March 4, 2005

This school is great. I personnally know the pricipal. He has a great sense of humor. The teachers are very friendly. my sisters and I went to Ridgewood for four years before we moved. This is the best you can get.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 8, 2005

Both of my daughters have attended this school. One has graduated after being there for 11 years, and the other is graduating this year after attending the school for 13 years beginning in kindergarten. I have found that the school is a great place to enroll your child. The teachers are very friendly and are there to help your child everystep of their way through lower, middle, and upper school. I can not say enough good things about this school. If you are looking for an affordable private school to enroll your child in please consider Ridgewood Prep. It will be the best decision you can make.

Posted December 7, 2004

Our son is attending Ridgewood for his 8th year, beginning with PreK. He is now in the 6th grade, and we have been extremely pleased with his overall experience there. The teachers, as well as the administration,are always available and willing to help in any situation. The teachers seem to be qualified in their respective fields, and we have been very pleased with his achievements. We also have been pleased with the way they handle children who have discipline problems. They do not tolerate disruptions in or out of the classroom. We feel very fortunate to have a safe environment for our son.

Posted February 23, 2004

I have two children at Ridgewood and have found it to be a very good school. The teachers are very accessible and the administration is always available. This is a private school for middle-class families that want quality education for their children. Because it is a small school, the teachers seem to know all of the children--even those not in their classes. I have found most of the teachers to be extremely qualified and dedicated to the success of the children. They are available after school every day--some even provide the students with their home phone numbers for homework assistance! Our family is very pleased with Ridegewood Prep.

Posted January 27, 2004

My child had an awful experience at this school. The teachers are inexperienced and the principal will do nothing to help you. If they encounter any problems with your child, they will make your child sit out of school until thay can schedule a conference with the parents. That doesn't sound too bad, except that it took them a week to do this. And, it was the first week of school. Being a teacher myself, I am appalled. I quickly took my child out and enrolled him in another school where he is doing great. Not one problem or complaint.

Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:25am
School end time
  • 3:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Milton J. Montgomery Jr.
  • Coed