Metairie, LA

Alice M.Birney Elementary School 1

Posted March 12, 2013
Let's start off by saying that I DO NOT want to rate ths school w/1 star. The school has some serious problems that need to be addressed. Just bringing in a new principal is not going to help. The entire staff needs to be revamped. The school is definitely overcrowded to the point that students are sharing desk in class. I sent my son here due to his special needs. He barely goes due to the fact that so many students are in there that he cannot get the instruction that he is requiring. So, what do they do to compensate? They send an aide in his classroom. This is not what I signed for at the end of last year. They changed all of this w/o my consent or knowledge. Lack of communication is a major problem. Teachers are not responded to letters and/or e-mails either in a timely fashion or at all. I have one teacher who refuses to speak w/me at all. Now, how is this helping my child? It's not! I would highly discourage anyone from placing their child here. I'm counting down the days 'til school is over.

Posted December 13, 2012
To the parent saying this school deserves no stars - that is absolutely ridiculous!!! My son went to this school for 5 years and I have twin daughters, one is special education receiving lots of therapy and assistance, are just finishing their 6th year there. I have nothing but RAVE comments on this school. I recommend everyone moves into this school district. I've never seen more loving and caring teachers that go above and beyond to see each and EVERY student succeed!! As for bullying - my daughter was bullied and they have ZERO tolerance there!!! The office staff was appaulled and it was handled immediately!! The teachers are the absolute best, the office staff are top notch, the extra curriculars are unbelievable!! My children are in band, and the band teacher dedicates 15+hrs a week UNPAID personal time to rehearse with her students. I can not say enough good things about this school. The ONLY bad thing about Alice Birney Elementary is that after this year, none of my children will be there anymore because they're moving on to middle school. Losing AB teachers and staff is like losing a loved one, they'll be missed!!!

Alice M.Birney Elementary School 1

Posted December 06, 2012
If I could give this school no stars I absolutely would! Never enroll your child here if you can help it. The teacher's do not care about their students and definitely do not try to solve problems between other students. They support bullying and they are just as big of a bully as many of their students are.. They give behavior reports for just about anything!! My nephew received one recently just because he asked to use the restroom. How sad and ridiculous is that? That's not the first one he received for something dumb and I'm sure not the last. My other nephew has gotten in trouble for minor issues as well. If it was up to me this school would be closed down! So if you're looking for your children to be bullied and not helped, this is the place to be. I rate this school a negative x's 10.

Alice M.Birney Elementary School 2

Posted January 20, 2012
my son in special education and he is realy behaind in this school they always forgot to send his homework and they dont work with him

Alice M.Birney Elementary School 3

Posted October 19, 2010
My son is in the Pre-k Program at Alice Birney. I also agree that bullying is a "HUGE" problem at this school. My son come home everyday and tells me that the other kids have pushed him down, hit him in the head or bit him on the arm. One of the kids actually picked up a bug and put it on his head. My son told me that the kids are mean and that he is scared of them. I told my son to inform the teacher every time someone is bullying him, assuming she would resolve the problem. Nothing happened my son told me that all the teacher say is "OH...so and so is just having a bad day today. Just because a kid is having a bad day doesn't give them the right to go around bullying the other kids. My son will not be returning next school year.

Alice M.Birney Elementary School 0

Posted April 29, 2010
My daughter is going in kindergarten of Ms. Carrone class. She is doing very good. She is capable of solving first grade problems. They are doing really good. A good combination of discipline and education is in this school.

Alice M.Birney Elementary School 0

Posted November 30, 2009
The school has a very low professionalism staff and front office staff are very unethical and rude. The staff need to practice and update their anti-discrimatory policy. The communication toward the parent and children was very offensive....The OCR needs to evaluate the school for racial harrassment......Horrible Experience..........

Posted January 26, 2009

Posted May 14, 2008

Posted February 24, 2008

Alice M.Birney Elementary School
4829 Hastings Street, Metairie, LA  70006
Last modified Alice M.Birney Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alice M.Birney Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top