Metairie, LA

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted July 28, 2015
No... Even the staff are bullies at times...definitely not. Children only act as they are taught and some Birney staff are rude and are definitely not there cause they love their jobs

Alice M.Birney Elementary School 2

Posted July 28, 2015
My child has gone to this school for the last 2 years and I must say there ARE FEW really awesome teachers and the coaches are amazing...with that being said they need a huge staff change in the office with administration. Some of these are rude to parents and children...they don't show compassion or gentleness of any kind. I have seen teachers bully babies by ganging up on them for simple things children do, I've seen children be bullied with staff sitting within feet of them with no intervention, I have seen a child go into the office not feeling well and be denied to call their parents. This school is not based off of values... Parents aren't a loud to attend field trips,awards,parties,or school hour plays, the reason was said to be due to "too many kids from separate homes" if u throw your child a party for their birthday every child has to be invited instead of teachers quietly placing invitation in folders "due to its not fair". In my opinion this school teaches kids to not be able to deal with normal life and these kinds of things can set or future generation up for failure. The classes are way too crowded,going to the library isn't a normal routine, there are teachers who refuse to communicate,they have children of 12 languages in a normal class for most of the day slowing down the class from learning and the pressure gets applied hard to the children at the end of the year so much so my child who LOVED school suddenly hated school and didn't wanna go! Congratulations to the few wonderful staff members who hang in there just to make the little difference...they make the school!

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted May 31, 2015
No not all children are treated equal. Dependinh on the mental state of mind some children receive the treatment of let it slide because he or she has a certain condition. In my eyes wrong is wrong no matter who you are!!

Posted May 31, 2015
Horrible experience! I refused to send my child back to this school after 2years! The school is full of misbehaved children. My child was put in harms way being in a class with a child who wad considered "special needs".. Daily the child would hit others, throw pencils, desk, books and other items. I believe this school is funded through a special needs program. As in the more children considered special needs the more funding the school recieves.. This school is an absolute nightmare. So ready to try our new school this year.

Alice M.Birney Elementary School 5

Posted April 20, 2015
This is my daughter's first year at Alice Birney and I absolutely love the school, the friendly teachers, and the welcoming atmosphere! My daughter barely knew how to read when entering kindergarten and now she reads like a pro :). The before and after care program is awesome as well! My daughter will definitely attend first grade at Alice Birney next year.

Alice M.Birney Elementary School 3

Posted April 01, 2015
I love it and think its great ! The teachers are wonderful and really care about there students

Posted March 12, 2013
Let's start off by saying that I DO NOT want to rate ths school w/1 star. The school has some serious problems that need to be addressed. Just bringing in a new principal is not going to help. The entire staff needs to be revamped. The school is definitely overcrowded to the point that students are sharing desk in class. I sent my son here due to his special needs. He barely goes due to the fact that so many students are in there that he cannot get the instruction that he is requiring. So, what do they do to compensate? They send an aide in his classroom. This is not what I signed for at the end of last year. They changed all of this w/o my consent or knowledge. Lack of communication is a major problem. Teachers are not responded to letters and/or e-mails either in a timely fashion or at all. I have one teacher who refuses to speak w/me at all. Now, how is this helping my child? It's not! I would highly discourage anyone from placing their child here. I'm counting down the days 'til school is over.

Alice M.Birney Elementary School 5

Posted December 13, 2012
To the parent saying this school deserves no stars - that is absolutely ridiculous!!! My son went to this school for 5 years and I have twin daughters, one is special education receiving lots of therapy and assistance, are just finishing their 6th year there. I have nothing but RAVE comments on this school. I recommend everyone moves into this school district. I've never seen more loving and caring teachers that go above and beyond to see each and EVERY student succeed!! As for bullying - my daughter was bullied and they have ZERO tolerance there!!! The office staff was appaulled and it was handled immediately!! The teachers are the absolute best, the office staff are top notch, the extra curriculars are unbelievable!! My children are in band, and the band teacher dedicates 15+hrs a week UNPAID personal time to rehearse with her students. I can not say enough good things about this school. The ONLY bad thing about Alice Birney Elementary is that after this year, none of my children will be there anymore because they're moving on to middle school. Losing AB teachers and staff is like losing a loved one, they'll be missed!!!

Posted December 06, 2012
If I could give this school no stars I absolutely would! Never enroll your child here if you can help it. The teacher's do not care about their students and definitely do not try to solve problems between other students. They support bullying and they are just as big of a bully as many of their students are.. They give behavior reports for just about anything!! My nephew received one recently just because he asked to use the restroom. How sad and ridiculous is that? That's not the first one he received for something dumb and I'm sure not the last. My other nephew has gotten in trouble for minor issues as well. If it was up to me this school would be closed down! So if you're looking for your children to be bullied and not helped, this is the place to be. I rate this school a negative x's 10.

Alice M.Birney Elementary School 2

Posted January 20, 2012
my son in special education and he is realy behaind in this school they always forgot to send his homework and they dont work with him

4829 Hastings Street, Metairie, LA  70006
Last modified Alice M.Birney Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Alice M.Birney Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top