Marie B. Riviere Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 439 students

Posted October 9, 2014

Riviere Elementary is a excellent school! I am so happy with the choice I made to send my child there since Pre-K. He is now in the fourth grade and LOVES going to school everyday. We have a wonderful principal, He truly cares about all of his students and knows everyone by name. If you make the time to become a involved parent and work as a team with your child's teachers you will be very pleased. Riviere has some of the best, hardworking and caring teachers you can find. I have seen my child and others learn and grow so much, it's a wonderful thing to witness. We will miss the Rivi re family when he graduates next year.

Posted January 22, 2014

My child has been at this school for 5 years. I loved this school up until this year, 4th grade. I'm sorry, but I feel the teaches are not teaching these kids very well. My child has always been on honor roll, but this year it seems impossible. On alot of the test she is given 1 wrong is a C. Over Thanksgiving she had 3 packets (15 to 30 questions each), 2 Science tests to do online, read a book, Math workbook pages, and writing math facts. I mean I'm all for giving them some work, but this poor kid didn't even get a break. Even I need a break! I didn't have that much homework in college!! I'm having to pay and put her in private tutoring b/c they do no offer tutoring until the child is failing. I'm not going to wait until that happens. I send her teachers emails and get no response. Also, some teachers this year don't tell them prior to testing. Maybe some kids don't need to study the night before but mine does. She needs the extra review even though we do homework every night. Like I said, I used to be this schools #1 fan but after this year I'm seriously thinking about sending her somewhere else. It's really disappointing :(

Posted September 28, 2013

My daughter has been a student here since pre-k. I am happy with what this school has taught her. The only complaint would be the "mean teachers" in 4th grade. My child would tell me that her 4th grade teacher yelled at the kids and herself, and homework was a nightmare! The only suggestion I would give is to fire all 4th grade teachers from last year. This year everything so far so good as this will be her final year here. Thanks.

Posted May 11, 2013

This was a Great Elementary School. I have been there since 4th grade (more exactly: half of 4th grade). In only 1.5 years, I found this school to be great. I highly Recommend this school. *Riviere Student*

Posted March 12, 2013

All I can is that the principal screamed at my child and me! She asked him a question, he did not respond, I responded for him and she rudely said, "I'm not asking you, I'm asking him." I said he is only 5yrs. old and your tone scares him. She just screamed, "Well get out of here!" I hope one day, someone will report he to the School Board. She's supposed to be a role model, not a scare crow!

Posted October 30, 2012

My daughter is a 5th grader now. She strated Pre-K here and been here all these years. Great teachers and principal. Always very helpful. We love Riviere.

Posted October 20, 2012

I am not impressed. My daughter is a third grader, she ha been a student at Marie B Rivi re we are so tired of the rudeness, horrible food and teachers who do not do there jobs.

Posted May 16, 2012

been there since 3rd grade it never gets boring its like u dont want a summer and want more fun at schooool!!! i love u mrs.bonnnnettteee!!!<3 teachers are sooo nice awesome schoooooooooooooooool!! you should try it get adapted to i \t quick just went to it today and picked up my couisin!!

Posted August 14, 2011

My son attended this school last year for kindergarten and he did really well. He had homework ever night. He was learning new things everyday and was very excited to come home to tell me what he was learning. We are excited to start the new school year and with all the enthusiasm a child and parent can have. Riviere is a really wonderful school.

Posted June 1, 2011

My son LOVES Riviere!!! He will be in the second grade in the fall and has attended the school since kndergarten. They have a before/aftercare program (thats affordable), which is important. The staff has always been courteous and caring. I am amazed at how much he has learned in the past year. He was given a steady dose of homework weekly, but I don't think it was ever too much. I like that the school offers several field trips througout the year. Both on and away from campus. The PTO hosts different nights, science night, international night, family game night. It give you the chance to meet the children your child talks about everyday. I cannot foresee my son changing schools until the sixth grade. Like I said, he loves Riviere!

Posted September 28, 2010

In response to the "unhappy parent" with first grade @ Riviere...obviously, you haven't been at Riviere long, have you? I have two children in Riviere, one of which was in first grade last year and did fantastic. I'm very surprised and disappointed to hear your comment, but we're all entitled to our opinion. However, let me educate you! Parents that have attended Riviere are now sending their children to Riviere. The first grade teachers have been there for a long time and have proven to be GREAT teachers. The school is known for their outstanding scores, as well as parent and teacher involvement. Maybe you're missing something. In closing, any decent parent would be proud to send their child to Riviere. Is your child still there??????

Posted September 24, 2010

I am not at all happy with my son's first grade teacher. The main problem is she does not give any grades from what I can see. I have a pile of classwork, none of it appears to have even been looked at. We make it a priority to do homework right after school, it often comes back the next day and has not even been looked at. Today my 6 year old told me the teacher was frustrated with the class and said they are "Insane." He has also told me the assistant teacher has said she's worked with schools for years and "this is the worst class I ever had." Who says things like that in front of children? There are several behavior issues in the class, mostly from one child who punches and hits other children. I would not recommend this school to any decent parent.

Posted May 3, 2010

My son is in kindergarten at Marie Riviere. My son has struggled through pre-k at another school and was beginning to struggle in kindergarten. His teacher, Mrs. Martin, and the school Couselor, Mr. Luckett, worked with my son and me. Through tests and evaluations, I found out that my son has ADHD-combined. This school has done WONDERS for my son! He has made a complete 180 in school, and is now able to be proud of himself, along with MANY other people in his life. I don't know what I would have done without the help and support from the school counselor and my son's teacher. I would be forever greatful to Marie Riviere!!

Posted April 23, 2010

My daughter is in Kindergarten at Marie Riviere and I have been so impressed with the level of education that she received this year. She has Ms Schmidt for Kindergarten and I would highly recommend her to any parent whose student is going into Kindergarten. The students come first at Marie Riviere. I was new to Louisiana this year as was nervous because I had not heard positive things about public education in Louisiana, but the faculty at Marie Riviere has shown me that there are good public schools out there. I can not believe that Jefferson Parish Public Schools would consider closing this high performing school. If they follow through on this decision, then Jefferson Parish Public schools will show that they are more concerned about money then they are about our childrens education.

Posted August 21, 2008

My daughter is in the school from 4th grade to now, she has a good time there. The teachers assign the homework everyday and collect it next day. I like it. I want to send my second daughter in the same school, ...

Posted June 30, 2007

I have been to Marie B. Rivere since pre.k. While I was growing up over the years, I realized how great this school is. The teachers are very friendly and they have high teaching skills.Parents love seeing there children coming home with a big smile on their face. The sports at Marie B. Riviere are mostly in P.E. For example,they have this incredible sport named 'kick ball'. I guarantee your child will have fun with that sport! Also,Marie B. Riviere has an academic program called 'Gt'.GT means gifted.If your child has excellent grades your child will be tested for GT. The Principals at this school, when I was growing up are very kind.I would also like to say is that the office's staff are very kind and helping people.So as a student in Marie Riviere I recomend your child to participate in this brilliant,high academic school!
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 23, 2007

my daughter has been at Riviere since 2nd grade this is a really excellent school the teachers, staff, and especially the parents make the education and learning experiences that the children get very exceptional I would advise any parent to enroll their child/children in Marie Riviere L.Robinson

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 75%N/A67%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • School of Recognized Academic Growth (2003)

Special education / special needs

School start time
  • 8:15
School end time
  • 3:15
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Significant developmental delay
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

School culture