No rating

St. Benilde School

Private | PK-7

Living in Metairie

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $165,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted June 20, 2013

St. Benilde School is a wonderful school for children 6 weeks through 7th grade. One of St. Benilde's teachers, Mrs. Karen Virga, was just was just named one of 6 Distinguished Educators by Cabrini High School. The teachers are caring and concerned for the educational, spiritual, physical, and social well being of the students. The principal, Matt Downy, is a new addition to St. Benilde. He is a wonderful asset to the school, showing true leadership and great example. The parents and school workers are very involved, many of the workers are also parents. The school is a small size and nonetheless, the school and parish host an annual festival that is every bit as entertaining and large as schools twice its size. The parents and those involved in the get an "A". If you would like to send your kids to a school that they will want to send their kids to, if you want to send you kids to a school without clicks, if you want to send your kids to a school that children of all ages play together, then St. Benilde is the school for your children!

Posted February 26, 2013

Some posts were removed from this site that would indicate this is not a good school at all. Academically, okay, but too much bullying has gone on at the school in the form of exclusion, isolation, etc. of those children who do not attend the school from kindergarten.

Posted February 11, 2013

As a former student, I loved the school. Being one of the smarter kids in my grade, me and two others had "advanced elective" time (usually during french) so we didn't feel too underchallenged. We got cool privelages too like giving school presentations and competitions. All the teachers were great and would go to great lengths to make us feel welcome. The priest and principal were awesome. The school had a great building, blacktop, feild, and atmosphere. I had so much fun and got involved with the traditions and clubs. At mardi gras we made floats and attached them to wagons that our prayer partners pulled. We threw beads and other toys. I knew almost everyone in my grade and there were no real "cliques". I got a great education, good times, and good memories.

Posted December 1, 2012

I have had bad experiences with this school. I am glad to be gone. My children are in a much better place now.

Posted September 29, 2012

What a great school! I had 2 students graduate from here and two more children who still attend. St. Benilde is truly like a second home for my children. No matter what their educational needs have been (honor student, average student, special needs student) we have been soooo pleased with how the faculty and staff have addressed each child individually. Even though we recently aquired a new principal I have yet to be disappointed in the level of education we are receiving for are hard earned money. If anything it just keeps getting better! The small family environment is my favorite aspect of this very Catholic school. It also impresses me how many teachers, as well as the principal, have their own children enrolled at this school.

Posted August 21, 2012

This school has been a blessing for our family! Two sons there, and they've always felt loved, protected, and encouraged to flourish. Can't say enough good things about S.B.S.

Posted August 14, 2012

I give St. Benilde Five Stars! It is an excellent school. My child has been there for five years. The teachers really know my child and hold him accountable. I think the principal was great. She always listened to my concerns and solved any problem quickly. I will miss her leadership! I hope the new guy can fill her shoes. The only negative at SBS is the gossipy parents. We need to remember that we are at a Catholic school. Go Irish!

Posted August 7, 2012

ALL I CAN SAY MAKE SURE YOUR CHILD RECEIVES CREDITS FOR THE CLASS WORK, PARTICIPATION AND HOME WORK FOR THE SUBJECTS EVERY NINE WEEKS. CAUSE IT'S TOTALLY CHAOS GETTING THE SCHOOL TO EVEN LOOK AT THE DOCUMENTS YOU HAVE PROVING THAT THE ERRORS OCCURS. I PRINTED OUT ALL THE SUBJECTS IN DETAIL SHOWING WHAT WAS CREDIT AND NOT FOR READING, MATH, ENGLISH, SPELLING AND RELIGION. JUST STAY ON TOP OF IT! ALSO EDLINE IS THE GRADE BOOK AS WELL!

Posted July 20, 2012

I love St. Benilde! I can't say enough about the excellent pre-k program. The teachers have been wonderful and supportive. Father Pat is very involved with the school and I often see him on campus visiting the students. My oldest child has ADHD and has been well accommodated by the teachers and as a result, has done extremely well so far. The curriculum is appropriate for the grade level, yet challenging enough to stimulate academic growth. I'm excited about the new principal and what is is going to be able to add to our school.

Posted July 10, 2012

I love this school! It is small and has a very friendly, helpful atmosphere. I have been so pleased with the teachers my children have had thus far. I'm really looking forward to the new principal's leadership.

Posted March 22, 2012

I am currently graduating from St.Benilde and believe that I have had the experience of a life time. This school has prepared me so well for highschool and I believe that I am ready to go. St.Benilde thinks out of the box and goes up and beyond to make sure you get the education you need. Slot of times they teach you grades ahead of you. When my classmates and I did the highschool spend a days we all came back saying we know mostbof the stuff their teaching because of our education at St.Benilde I would highly recommend this school to everyone out there.

Posted July 9, 2011

This school is great. I've gone their since kindergarten and love it. Now going into seventh grade, i feel ready for high school. They push you to do your very best. The teachers are loving and caring. I'll definitely miss this school and it's teachers.

Posted May 31, 2011

This was probably the worst school you can send a kid to with ADHD or any type of learning disability. After reading much of the reviews, I never felt the warm fuzzy feeling of a family nor did the teachers or principle ever try to make us happy or involved. I felt the staff could have cared less if we were happy as the parents. The only thing they were ever concerned about was getting money and being in control. Control is a big thing with the principal. She thinks she is the Queen and maybe she is but she is running families away. The teachers single the kids out with problems such as ADD or ADHD and follow them around. They will question your child to the point of making them cry even if they did not do anything wrong. Then they will tell you as the parent when your upset if you don't like it, don't enroll you child next year. So we finished out the year with a horrible taste in our mouths. What I took away from the staff is they do not understand what accountability is and they will not take any for there misdoings.

Posted November 12, 2010

It is very diconcerting when I live out of state and call the school to speak to my child and am told it is against school policy. I have not seen my child in three months and haven't spoken to him in two weeks. I will look into filing a formal complaint against this school.

Posted March 10, 2010

It's more than a school - you feel like you are part of a family, God's family. I can't say enough about this school.

Posted January 11, 2010

My son just went there a year. Overall it was a good school. My son said the teachers were really caring. The only thing I didn't like is that when I enrolled my son the principal said they do special accomadations for kids with disorders (Ex. bipolar, ADHD) and there was nothing done. For example, I wanted my son to have a buddy to remind him of what books to bring home for HW and one teacher said noone would help.

Posted April 21, 2008

I am a parent of a St. Benilde student and I see a lot of great things about this school, however, there are some things that are very distressing. The lack of organization and communication is getting worse. My child has attended school since January of 2006 and I think they have a wonderful Preschool program; however, they lack the necessary skills to deal with other than average children. They are losing seven more teachers next year, and that is scary. I only hope that they can continue to give our children the education they deserve.

Posted March 11, 2008

I must say st. Benilde is honestly a great school. I am a parent of a pre-k child and considering this was my child's first year in any school it's been such a great experience for both of us. The st. Benilde teachers really went above and beyond and that makes me so proud to say my child attends this school. I have a line of family that attended st. Benilde a few years ago and i was pleased with the results then and more pleased now that my child is a student. I highly recommend this school. I love the fact that it's a small school because it does give me a sense of peace knowing my child is considered a student and not just a number. The teachers are great and no complaints about the principal. I highly recommend st. Benilde

Posted January 31, 2008

St. Benilde is an excellent school in a great community. St. Benilde is a small school which has allowed my family to truly know and feel part of the school and the parish. I believe and have seen first hand how the administration with the teachers go above and beyond what is expected of them in order to educate the children. St. Benilde has provided my children with a wonderful academic program, including accelerated programs within the curriculum and an enormous extra-curricular program to choose from. St. Benidle is a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence with SACS accreditation. I know that this recognization is very important, but just as important is that I know my children feel safe everyday receiving the very best education. Their successes and the successes of their peers is credited to the hard work of the teachers. The students of St. Benilde are continually recognized for their academic and extra-curricular accomplishments by the community. Alumni of St. Benilde return frequently to visit and/or volunteer. In my experience, the school and parish work extremely well together to provide the very best for the students and the families.

Posted May 4, 2006

St. benilde is a great school and no, you should not 'stay clear of it'. The low enrollment is due to the fact that the parish has grown older and also because the school chose to downsize. My children have learned very well here, and rank very well on their SATs. Yes, I agree that the principal worries about pleasing the parents - but, tell me, what is wrong with that? They have many accelerated programs and there is not a single week that goes by without some sort of special educational event.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• John V. Downey
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Fax number
  • (504) 834-4380

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New Orleans

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1801 Division Street