No rating

Stuart Hall School For Boys

Private | PK-7 | 332 students

Living in New Orleans

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $247,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $940.

Posted December 3, 2012

Stuart Hall strikes me as very much a one-size fits all approach to education that works for many boys, and the parents are generally amiable and enthusiastic (which I scored 4 stars in the review). If, however, your boy does not "fit the profile," Stuart Hall is likely not the place for you or your child. Unfortunately although I suppose understandably, this is not something that is emphasized in the sales pitch. Be prepared to hear what you or your boy could do better or that Stuart Hall just is not for you, but don't expect much from the school if any trace of difficulty is encountered. This seems to be true even with very young children. We regrettably did not do sufficient homework on this school and now find ourselves wishing.

Posted May 6, 2011

Stuart Hall provides a phenomenal all around education for boys. We left Holy Name and are thankful we did. We regret not getting him to Stuart Hall sooner. He has received an excellent education and has been challenged and nurtured to grow intellectually and spiritually. Stuart Hall has helped our son grow into a responsible and caring gentleman. My son is currently in the 7th grade and we are so sad to be leaving this wonderful school. We have not experienced or seen ANY of the gossip or judgment some people have expressed on this site. Stuart Hall is a wonderful community and we are proud to be part of it.

Posted February 18, 2011

As a black family living in a very racial world, entering Stuart Hall (a predominately white school) was a concern of ours. We knew that the academics standards were high. Our only concern was social acceptance. To our delight after 7 years, our child has been accepted, included & he has flourished in his surroundings. I have read the other blogs and cannot say we have ever experienced the same or discovered racism. The Principal, Headmaster, teachers & Staff have treated us equally, fairly and on several occasions have gone way beyond the call of duty. I feel my child has & still is experiencing educational and social growth, due to the nurturing environment of Stuart Hall. Certainly we all have our differences, political, race, religion and we have often argued about the same because intelligent people can differ and agree to dis-agree.

Posted December 16, 2010

Racist is one thing Stuart Hall is NOT. My sons attended there for a very long time, and the teachers were very warm and impressive. The education was one of th best my sons could have gotten the city. However, there was a ton of controversy in my 7 years at S/H. Of course moms love to gossip, but I noticed it going overboard sometimes. My best advice to be people would to be sure to make the right actions if you don't want to become the laughing stock of the school society.

Posted November 21, 2010

Stuart Hall does an amazing job in all areas of education. They challenge every child in a nurturing way and care about the success and well-being of all the students there. The principal is an innovator and has a data-driven view of education that is back up by the headmaster. The principal presents the teachers with opportunities to improve themselves on a regular basis by bringing experts to the school campus as well as allowing teachers to travel to meaningful conferences. No matter what grade my son is in, I know that he will be engaged in a meaningful curriculum that focuses on the way boys learn and allows them to take risks in an inclusive and loving environment, which is important to me as a parent and educator. Because of inclusivity, my son has friends in his own class as well as the other in his grades and boys in different grades. This speaks volumes for a school where most of the boys start at age three; my son did not but was accepted and made friends quickly and easily. I will never regret my decision to send my son to Stuart Hall School for Boys where the principal and teachers go the extra mile by doing things--big and small--every day.

Posted November 12, 2010

As a parent of an African-American son who has attended SH for several years, I have been able to raise a well-rounded individual who accepts and appreciates his differences without feeling singled out or unappreciated. We've always felt a sense of family at SH and the school has always been open to all communications about any concerns, including racial ones (although we've had none) in an effort to be all inclusive. Our values at home are reinforced by the SH community.

Posted October 14, 2010

My son was a student there for two years. The first year of nursery was great with great inclusion. He was the only afro/american in his class and was ok. The K year was horrible, to the point my son felt that he was different, he's a great kid and makes great grades. We were told that his social skills were declining, WOW. Good principle and Headmaster but they dont stand up against the foolishness that looms in the school. Money is not an issue and I've learned that it can be appreciated other places. This blog doesnt give enough space to go into detail the foolishness we encountered and there are several other afro/american parents that pulled there kids recently based on the foolishness of some of the racial staff. I wouldnt say all of the staff is that way but some are unfortunately.

Posted September 19, 2010

Our family was a part of the Stuart Hall community and we loved it. We wish we could have stayed. It was a loving environment and the teachers were all committed and incredible! The comment from the parent stating that the lower school is nice, but in first grade and up the rooms are dilapidated tells me that they did not attend Stuart Hall very long because the first grade is in the lower school complex. It was incredible to be a part of such an incredible environment and I would return if I could. I miss it there. The curriculum is second to none and my children were happy every single day to go to school.

Posted August 20, 2010

Our son has attended Stuart hall since he was in Nursery and he is now in 5th grade. All divisions of the school (pre-school, lower school and middle school) benefit from the strong leadership of the principals and headmaster. The teachers are second to none and strike the right balance between providing an excellent education and a nurturing environment. Since the school is all boys they focus on the best methods of teaching boys. Stuart Hall offers a wide variety of extra curricular activities appealing to all interests, including Cub Scouts, sports teams, a chess club and school plays. The parents are invited and encouraged to become actively involved in the school. We can not say enough good things about Stuart Hall and have been very happy with our school selection .

Posted July 19, 2010

My son started at Stuart Hall as an older elementary student. He has had a terrific experience--both educational and social. I searched for the right school for him, and am completely convinced that I found the perfect place. I think complainers mostly post on sights like these. The cult references are silly at best. I guess those are parents who were looking for friends for themselves rather than an excellent education for their child.

Posted June 20, 2010

We were not happy at all here. Depressing place to be, zero green space except for a few gardens. Preschool is new, but 1st grade on are old dilapidated classrooms spruced up with new paint. We are loving Holy Name.

Posted May 23, 2010

I agree with the recent posts. The mention of a cult is funny but not untrue! When you sign on here, you are effectively signing on through 12th grade, because all but a couple of boys move on to one high school. I have found the leadership (headmaster, principal) to be extremely dissatisfactory across the board, and there needs to be an overhaul of these seemingly tenured staff.

Posted May 18, 2010

My son Also attends Stuart Hall, like the post below, at first, we were very happy at SH. We also bought into their story of inclusion. There's no give and take and plenty of favoritism. We feel stuck here with no way out. Trying to leave is like leaving a cult. BTW our child is an excellent student and has no social issues.

Posted March 15, 2010

My son attends Stuart Hall. At first we were thrilled with the school. We were sold on the 'hands on' and 'boys actively learning' philosophy told to us by the admissions personnel. Needless to say, that theory is not shared by all. If your son does not fit into a set mold, look elsewhere. This school does not meet the needs of many and only caters to the few.

Posted August 21, 2008

My two boys go to Stuart Hall School for Boys which, as the name implies, is an all boy school. My wife and I are thrilled about Stuart Hall. It has everything we want in a school: sound and consistent leadership from the headmaster and principal, quality teachers, strong parent involvement, and a school based upon moral principles.

Posted September 25, 2007

My son began attending Stuart Hall in Pre-K. He is currently in 6th grade. I am thrilled with the education he is receiving. The teachers at Stuart Hall have found the amazing balance between setting the academic bar very high, yet motivating the boys to meet or exceed the expectations with a positive attitude. My son enjoys school. He does not shy away from a challenge. The school also focuses on values and character building. This was a crucial component that we were looking for in a school for our son. The teachers model and expect the same behavior we encourage and expect at home. The kindness and love of learning they exhibit each day is truly amazing! I highly recommend Stuart Hall.

Posted August 29, 2007

I cannot say enough good things about Stuart Hall! We have three sons and all attend the Stuart Hall School for Boys. We have one in each division Pre-School, Lower School and Middle School and I have been impressed at each level with the academic programs, specializations and extra curricular activities. The school has a counselor who is not only available to meet with the boys individually when needed, but who also holds special lunch time group sessions that the boys can attend to learn social skills, coping skills and general life skills. The boys are taught organization and study skills along with academics and values. The Qualities of the Month program, First Fridays, May Crowning, Round Table and Knight program all contribute to make school life at Stuart Hall special and meaningful. My boys love going to school every day and are making lifelong friends.

Posted August 28, 2007

I am the parent of two boys who have attended Stuart Hall since they were 3 and 4 years old. These 9 years have been the most wonderful learning and rewarding experiences that a child can have. They love their school must of all their teachers and friends. The teachers are loving and nurturing. Stuart Hall parents come from a wide range of professions. Everyone is accepted into our loving community. There are not many schools that have such a low student to teacher ratio. This low ratio allows the boys to receive the attention they deserve. Stuart Hall knows how boys think and learn. There is no better all boys elementary school in the South.

Posted March 6, 2007

I am a very pleased and proud parent of Stuart Hall School. The educators are exceptional and endearing. The school's environment is extremely comfortable and welcoming. I feel that my son is receiving the greatest gift, an unbelievable education!!

Posted March 24, 2005

My son just started Nursery school and we love the school. It is a nurturing environment and all of the parents are very involved. My son actually looks forward to going to school and has done very well.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • N.C.L.B.-Blue Ribbon School (2005)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

School start time
  • 8:00
School end time
  • 3:10
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Transportation options
  • None
  • Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New Orleans

• Video / Film production

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2032 South Carrollton Avenue