PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

We LOVE our CBS family. Its a great school all around. Small class sizes are a plus. My only regret was not to put my daughter in this school sooner.

Amount of homework: Agree

There is no written homework assigned on Wednesdays. Why? Because they encourage all of their families to attend mid-week church events (either at Calvary Baptist Church or wherever a family attends church).

This school is a well-kept secret on the westbank of New Orleans. It's small atmosphere makes the school very warm and friendly. There is no question about whether or not the teachers at this school care; everyone welcomes you with a hug and a smile! They start in Preschool and go all the way through to the 8th grade. It's a GREAT elementary school that focuses on the most important thing: Jesus Christ. The teachers and staff willingly pray with you, because they CARE. My son had the privilege of attending Calvary Baptist School for two years. I wish I would have known about the school many years ago. Excellent education and intentional teaching about Christ... A parent could not ask for more.

This is an average school for the area.Extremely small crowded classrooms and lacking in some very basic things like foreign language.Some good teachers,some not so good.Not sure if all have college degrees. If they do have a degree, it is usually in religion, not education. Overbearing principal .Micromanager.Probably would receive better treatment if you were a church member. You could do worse but that is the best that I can say about the place.Keep looking.

Over the past 2 years, Calvary has become very intentional about becoming more excellent across the board. The new leadership at the school has placed a greater emphasis on academic growth and achievement as well as increasing the professional standards and growth of the teachers. Change does take time, and the school is definitely not where it needs to be yet. But they are definitely moving in the right direction, and the results from these changes are positive.

I would say I am not overly pleased with Calvary but not overly digsuted either. I have a good relationship with my child's teacher but feel like the teacher is over stepped by the principal and is not allowed to run the classroom, which can make a student never really take his or her teacher seriously. There is a lack of patience with some of the teachers and principal. The lunch prices are ridiculous for the amount of food the children received. They did offer something new for next yr, but it was higher b/c it came with a personal staff. The $500-$700 pre-reg./building fee is very expensive. Not to mention there are service hours the school is asking for parents to put in, if you cannot find time to put in service hours, like myself b/c I work during school hours, you are requiered to pay $50 quarterly .i would say my child has learned a lot but I am just not moved by the school. The school doesn't hold special events the church does. i am looking to place my child somewhere else b/c I feel like I could get better for the the money I am putting out.

The school can be looked at as blasphemous. Some of the staff members don't behave like christians at all. The school leaders are mostly the problem. They give the impression that the school is perfect and holy to make parents believe they are the unreasonable & unsaved ones. This is far from the truth. How can christians allow a student to eat pudding and juice for lunch when there is enough food to allow the child a lunch? They will still bill you $3.00 for the poor snack/meal. The readers are inappropriate even though you pay for books. They do not care about my child or the education.

taking a 'wait and see' attitude. i was not aware until orientation that my son would be learning cursive immediately but wouldn't begin learning to read until mid-year. although i disagreed with this prioritization, i left the curriculum to the professionals. it is now after the break and i have not yet seen specific reading emphasis. i do not know what goes into teaching a child to read, but so far i am not seeing it. communication & responsiveness: somewhat disappointing; he brings home many papers regarding book clubs, promotions & projects & his homework but there is little opportunity for daily communication about our son. email has not been answered in a timely manner. the online program they have is not properly utilized to make it a sole source. i would prefer more emphasis placed on the education. my son can recite bible versus and sing songs about the Lord and thats great, but i also want him to be able to read and be kept up to speed so he can excel in his future academic career. we are nowhere near the point of removing our son from this school, but we are actively seeking an alternative. the school is 'good enough' for now, but we don't want to settle for that.

My family has been blessed by Calvary Baptist School. The teachers seem to really care about my child. Two thumbs up!

I am happy with the quality and care of CBS! This will be my daughter's second year attending this school. She loves her teacher and enjoys learning at CBS. I like the small (family-like) atmosphere. They also offer P.E. and art...which my child looks forward to every week. I have a second child in Pre-K also. She is thriving there and loves her teacher. It is well worth the money to send my kids to school here.

Last modified Calvary Baptist School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8