PK-8|Private
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

As a staff member at Ecole Bilingue, I love the diverse community that I work in. Throughout the past five years, I have been surrounded by students, parents, and co-workers that hail from places all over the world: France, Belgium, Cameroon, Spain, Mexico, Argentina, Colombia, England, Ireland, Switzerland, Croatia, Jordan, Lebanon, Russia, Australia, Japan, Reunion, etc. This creates a global perspective that encourages a thirst for knowledge and culture in our students. The children get to go on field trips to the Ogden, T.R.E.E., Love Swimming, NOMA, Audubon Zoo, etc. I love seeing how much our students grow every year. Our kids develop into well-rounded individuals who do great things for the New Orleans community, thrive academically, and are self-reliant. I wish I had the opportunity to go to Ecole Bilingue as a child. EB is truly a family. I love our amazing school!
October 21, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (9 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (8 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (10 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

Given every school parent body has so many opinions, I have been very impressed with the principle's responsiveness and dedication (She is even out in the rain helping with the carpool line!) The Vice P is adding some really great tech options. The after school programming is fantastic for the parents who cannot shuttle their kids all over town but still want them to do fun enrichment things.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers stay because they love the kids. The kids adore the teachers and respect them.

Amount of homework: Agree

I appreciate the French homework. It is fun and uses apps my kid loves. The English homework not so much as it seems a bunch of rote memorization ripped from a textbook.

There are a few things that make me believe this is a great school, not perfect (no school is) but great. One, our child is surrounded by an internationally diverse community which has expanded her worldview beyond the local. Second, while Ecole's program does follow some testing protocols, it is not a major part of the school year as in the public schools. These were priorities for us in wanting a holistic and cosmopolitan education for our kid.

I cannot say enough good things about Ecole Bilingue. I have children in first grade and also in preschool there. The first grader has been at EB for 3 years now. The teachers are phenomenal - the most caring and dedicated I have seen. There is very strong parental involvement and the school really feels like a family. Communication is excellent. When I email teachers with questions about homework or something in the classroom, I always get a quick and helpful response. One of my children has special needs. Each time I have emailed the principal requesting a new accommodation, she has always replied within hours. They have been very willing to work with us. Great art and music programs. My first grader can already read well in both French and English. They have English class every day so they do learn spelling, grammar, etc. My child has an average of about 20 minutes of homework four nights per week. I do not speak French at all, but this is not an issue. My preschooler loves school - lots of art, music, and games. The preschooler has only been there for seven months, but throws around French words all the time at home.

Amount of homework: Agree

First grade: For French homework, a program called voice thread is used. Every day the French teacher uploads his/her own voice reading the assignments. This enables parents who do not speak French to still help the kids with their homework. English homework is very straight forward. American math usually is as well. Sometimes the math is very lacking in directions but we eventually figure it out.

Teacher to student ratio along with attention given to each student is why we send our child to this school. We also believe that bilingualism gives our child a different view of this world we live in.

My child is really thriving this year. Everything has seemingly clicked into place and his love of reading and school grows stronger every day.

This is our son's second year in the pre-K program, and we have found the school to be very friendly and welcoming. We love meeting the other parents, who tend to be quite interesting, professional, and warm. The principal, Pauline Dides, is an incredible person who can easily converse with any parent about their child's successes and challenges. She appears to genuinely care about each student. She and the other administrators seem fully devoted to developing and improving the school. We are delighted to be part of this small, caring school community.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted October 21, 2016

Last modified Ecole Bilingue De La Nouvelle-Orleans is a Private school that serves grades PK-8