Public charter
New Orleans, LA
Before care: Yes

Posted October 01, 2014
Great School!!! Very Happy with my choice when it comes to the curriculum and core values instilled in students.

Posted May 07, 2014
MJCS is fantastic! The IB curriculum provides an enriched learning environment for our children (5th grade, K). We sought a school that was diverse - racially, economically, philosophically --- and, MJCS is ideal. Our children are thriving. The school has a strong principal with an eye for talent in teaching, a board that has a grasp of financial management, and a commitment to being an excellent open access school. It has inspired our 5th grader to write her first novel --- I am well pleased.

Posted April 28, 2014
If you are seeking an art-based Orleans parish diversified school, look no further. This school has an amazing staff and my child loves attending MJCS!

Posted March 30, 2014
Morris Jeff is a Great school in the New Orleans area. Both of my children have attended since 2010 and have learned so much more than what they were learning at their previous school. There is a news letter sent home weekly with the kids and also emailed along with a work plan of what they will be learning throughout the week and what their homework consist of. Not only are their taught ELA, vocabulary and Mathematics, but other subjects include science, social studies(history and Louisiana history), writing(yes they do reports) Spanish, art, music and their IB unit. I'm very impressed how elementary school has changed in the 20 years that I attended.

Morris Jeff Community School 4

Posted February 10, 2014
My daughter is in her second year at Morris Jeff and while I've been happy with the school so far, I haven't been completely ecstatic about it. The teachers are fantastic, but leadership is definitely lacking. I like the IB curriculum aspect, the immersion program, and the diversity. Also, my daughter is very happy at this school, which is what has kept me from looking elsewhere. Communication is a problem. There are report card/progress conferences (as previously noted by another poster)...............twice a year. The website is terrible. It's full of old pictures and old information and is not exactly up to 2014 standards, in my opinion. The Facebook page is random. Other posters complained about discipline and rowdy kids. I have never found this to be a problem. They are children after all, and surely they can't possibly believe that the discipline problems compare at all to other public schools in Orleans Parish. The school is pretty much run by a group of parents, who are unqualified and not open to suggestions. (If you need proof of this, attend the spring fair.) Morris Jeff overall is a good school. The teachers are excellent. The administrative staff needs an overhaul.

Morris Jeff Community School 4

Posted December 21, 2013
I think that the truth is that both of the last posts are correct. I seldom have any communication from the school and there is nothing online to quickly check my child's grades. I like my child's teacher but the kids are kind of wild and undisciplined. The parents run the school and seem to be the ones that get anything done. Simple things like getting a lunch menu is way too difficult!!! It has many good points,too. They are very friendly and they will address problems if you make the request. It is no where close to perfect but it is a decent place.

Posted November 05, 2013
I am very confused by the previous post. Every assertion is contrary to what we have experienced with Morris Jeff (my son is in his third year). Especially strange is the assertion that [r]egular parent/administration communication efforts are little to none regarding the progress of each child and what they are actually learning (or not learning) in class. It is a fact that there are regular parent-teacher conferences (we parents cook for the teachers and host an appreciation luncheon for them on conference days), along with regular report cards and daily updates that go home in folders. We also receive a weekly newsletter describing what the children are learning in each area of study and a homework packet for the week. When I email questions about an assignment, my son s teacher gets right back to me. As for the principal s responsiveness, I have contacted Ms. Perkins twice with concerns and received prompt, engaged, and appropriate responses. And really, the vibrant IB curriculum is stagnant ? The discrepancies between the previous post and reality lead me to conclude that the poster is a troll. What s the point in bad-mouthing a school you have no connection with?

Morris Jeff Community School 2

Posted October 16, 2013
My children attended this school for two years and I was more than disappointed. The teachers are not given the support that they need to handle the disciplinary problems in the classroom and support the special needs children that they are not qualified to care for. The principal turns a blind eye toward issues that need to be addressed and advanced children are not challenged and I watched my own children regress in this stagnant environment. Regular parent/administration communication efforts are little to none regarding the progress of each child and what they are actually learning (or not learning) in class. Now my children are attending better schools and I see a night and day difference in their achievements, levels of self esteem, etc. I would not recommend this school to someone who is active and interested in their child's educational advancement.

Posted January 29, 2013
I am so impressed by this school. My son has mild autism, with speech and language impairment, and I was searching for a free, public school that would cater to his academic and social needs, have some diversity in race and socioeconomic class, and encourage family support. He has done so well here, and loves going to school everyday. His teachers, the special education director, and the principal are all so personable and willing to answer whatever questions and concerns you may have. This school was literally an answer to my prayers.

Posted January 13, 2013
I love this school. This is my dream school for my children. I wanted them in a public school that was diverse in all aspects of race, socioeconomic status and abilities/disabilities. I wanted them in a school that reflected real life. This school is like a family and is a true community school. The teachers and administration are incredible. Parent's have a voice and the school community is very warm and inviting. My kids are very happy here. The afterschool Explorers program is a bonus for me since they need to stay in aftercare. There they get even more art, spanish, music, dance and enrichments. They never want to go home! The curriculum is rich in critical thinking and is challanging, yet fun for the kids. This school is a gem for New Orleans.

Morris Jeff Community School
P. O. Box 19227, New Orleans, LA  70119
Last modified Morris Jeff Community School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Morris Jeff Community School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top