Bad
Good

Posted May 20, 2015
We moved to New Orleans in June of 2014 and by the time we understood the system in which you are to find your child's school, it was too late to pick anything other than KIPP NOLA. We figured, as it is a national charter, that he would be alright for a year until we could find a more suitable school for him. From the first moment the whole experience was extremely dissatisfying. He was one of only three white children in the school, which is no problem for him or us but when he was bullied for this simple fact, not much was done. He had to work it out himself with the kid that was giving him grief for simply being different. They eventually became friends but it put a bad taste in all of our mouths that we weren't supported (much less believed) with our problem. He did not participate in any field trips or even today's graduation because he hated every moment of this year. The lack of attention to class disruption was alarming and the inability to keep teacher continuity disturbing. Had we known any of this, we would have simply found a way (begged, borrowed, stole) to pay the over inflated prices of private school in this city.

Posted October 17, 2014
My child(ren) has been a student at KIPP "Nola" Leadership Academy Primary. My child(ren) have finally told me about some shocking things that were seen and heard by several teachers that work there. I understand that some of the students that attend this school are sometimes disrespectful and very active. Every child is different in many ways and it can be difficult and stressful to get through to them in the best way. The staff doesn't communicate well with the parents. The staff often makes decisions without notifying the parents. Many of the teachers are not honest with the parents. Often they[some teachers/ some staff] put on a smile, and seem to pretend to be nice. But I've noticed and heard both parents and students express the experience of these same people I have just mentioned demonstrating negative, hostile, and frightening behavior to students when they know certain people are not nearby. Sometimes they wont notify you of incidents concerning your child. I am very concerned, these are current issues and events that I'm reviewing. I do not recommend this school at all.

Posted October 08, 2014
The Principal and Counselors make decisions on their own without involving some parents. When being asked about their decisions making they tell lies without any hesitation. The school would probably to a great place if it gets professional teachers not just teachers straight out of college that went to a seminar during the summer to teach our children. The children are our future! The teachers should be trained in a classroom setting with a more experience teacher for a year or two before being place in a class on their own. The upper level should have had some years of teachings before being in control of the school. Every teacher can't and won't get through to every child I don't care have much of education and experience that they may have. This saying goes for the principal and counselors too! Nor does every child learn the same. So when any suppose to be upper level authority figure is in control of your children it alright to question their motives on how and why they came up with their decision. Get the facts by taking notes so you can have them as your files on a later date. Most of time when they did the unexpected they tend to get caught in their lies.

Kipp New Orleans Leadership Academy 2

Posted May 01, 2014
KIPP NOLA My child graduates this year. I have found the KIPP experience to be dissatisfying and frustrating. A great deal of Lip service is paid to parent involvement and engagement but that is all it is. Parental Involvement is for the most part unwelcome. While there are many great teachers and interventionists, the The school is unresponsive and uncommunicative with family's and in dealing with parents concerns. No such thing as timely notification of events. One days notice at best for important events like rewards dinners for the scholars or Mandatory meetings. I am a highly involved and engaged parent, but I am relieved and glad that my son is leaving KIPP NOLA behind this year. KIPP NOLA turned this involved and highly supportive parent into an angry disengaged observer.

Kipp New Orleans Leadership Academy
3820 Saint Claude Avenue, New Orleans, LA  70117
Last modified Kipp New Orleans Leadership Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K, 4-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.