Posted May 02, 2014
I had a great experience at this school. Yes, it was hard, but I appreciated the challenge because it made college seem like a snap and now attending law school is not overwhelming like other students find and again I'm willinglly taking this challenge as well. I think if students are having difficulty learning at the school, they either aren't ready to do the work... Or if they are, they should get a tutor. If the student made it to the school, they deserve to be able to get extra help to succeed. It's all about study methods and taking the time to learn the material. All of my teachers cared about my well being. Most of the teachers when I went there graduated with a doctorate degree and are extremely intelligent and qualified. That's why this school is ranked 16th in the US. Like I stated before, I'm in law school and I don't ask for my professors for help until I have a specific question. They don't have time, nor do I expect them to have that time, to spend explaining a concept that I should know of I just do my work. Franklin prepared me for teaching myself and with that, I gained the self confidence to not limit myself in my expectations for the future. Go Falcons!

Benjamin Franklin High School 1

Posted March 31, 2014
Benjamin Franklin is over rated. The students must come to Ben Franklin fully educated because the school teachers will not teach your child. If your child does not know the subjects, the school will put them out instead of teaching the child what they are lacking or failing in. The school only wants students that will help keep the schools GPA at a high level to be rated as a great school. Now is that really a great school? If you cannot contribute to the over all GPA (SCHOOL STATUS), then you are out of Ben Franklin!! You can be one point away and the school will not help you. Benjamin Franklin suppose to be a charter school that receives public funds from The Orleans Parish School Board provide public funding to Ben Franklin and allows the school to put out Orleans Parish students with out giving them a probation year. Even colleges give probation time. To put it simple, Ben Franklin does not want you if the student needs to be educated, actually taught something by the teachers or time spent with the student by the teachers. I have seen a teacher ignore a student asking a question about Physics that was being discussed at that very moment. The teacher just ignored my son. WOW

Posted January 22, 2014
I graduated from BFHS and I can honestly say that after successfully completing my four years there, college was nothing new. BFHS is nothing less than an excellent college prep school. The classes are comparable to if not more challenging than typical college classes. BFHS offers a very challenging program and just being able to complete it offers many rewards after graduation. Colleges and employers hold high respect for BFHS graduates. Although I graduated from LSU, the fact that I graduated from BFHS impressed my current employer and was one of the reasons he hired me. The curriculum is tough and stressful, but if you can muddle through it, many will be impressed by the fact that you are a BFHS graduate.

Benjamin Franklin High School 4

Posted August 20, 2013
I graduated from Benjamin Franklin in 2012. I can truly say that I was prepared for college. College feels like a piece of cake and is very similar to the atmosphere I had in high school. While Franklin is very challenging it is well worth the outcome in the end.

Posted August 01, 2013
Benjamin Franklin HS is the most incredible HS that I have ever experienced to include the ones I was in during my lifetime (in Minnesota and Korea). BFHS is truely a college prep school in every sense of the word. The teachers are educated beyond any standards you would find in any Highschool and are constantly researching and learning new techniques to keep up with the education spectrum in the USA and abroad. I would like BFHS to dip into more Engineer based classes so the students have deeper knowledge in the field of science/math. Latin also needs to be a full two year credit as it does not just add to basic understanding of most roots of languages but touches on all the core subjects that our students study over the reach of their lifetime.

Benjamin Franklin High School 2

Posted May 28, 2013
We moved from out of state when dd was accepted BF. Once your child starts having any kind of struggle with his/her grades it is EXTREMELY difficult to to get back to where they need to be to keep their spot. It was extremely emotionally exhausting to watch a teenager try to not only adjust to high school, but to this academic system that seems like its set up just so they can keep up their numbers. BF requires 9th grade physics. This is their first year offering it. DDs struggle with physics during her first marking period eventually cost her retention in the school, despite the fact that she brought the grade up mid year. It felt like the teachers were not interested in my child. It was about making the numbers. Their grading system is set up where if you struggle with one class at ANY time, even the beginning of the year, it can kill you. If you are ONE point off you are cut. They do NOT care what happens to you after that point. This can easily dismantle a teenagers self esteem. For MANY kids its the end of the year because that final test is 25% of their grade. We were left scrambleing end of the year. Thanks but no thanks. My daughter is a human. Not a number.

Posted May 15, 2013
Ben Franklin is an excellent high school for students who desire rigorous preparation for college.

Posted February 20, 2013
To the comment "Ugh. I extremely dislike this school." This school is not for everyone. When it was public school when I attended, entrance was based on IQ scores, >120 or no acceptance... but some parent sued because it was discriminatory ... so now it is "charter school"... regardless, > 50% my class mates I see on FB these days are all professionals, doctors, lawyers, professors, teachers, scientists ... but we all had to work hard to get there... there were no excuses given to the non-motivated ... I now have 2 children of my own and hope to find a school in the future for them that could match up good as BF! Shout out to Mr. Gonzo ! Let me know you need a ride!

Benjamin Franklin High School 2

Posted January 23, 2013
I love this school but I wish that the counselor are more friendly and more caring to the students. That why students fail and drop out of this school. The student are very fun and the student counsel host various events. Most teachers are nice and are very informative but some teachers do not care about the students.

Posted September 08, 2011
As a former graduate of Ben Franklin High, I am very pleased with the education I received, the quality of the teachers & curriculum and the preparation for college. The school atmosphere was fun and supportive - it wasn't too small of a school nor was it too large where you could get lost in the crowd. My years at BFHS were memorable and I am proud to have attended one of the best schools in the country.

Benjamin Franklin High School
2001 Leon C Simon Drive, New Orleans, LA  70122
Last modified Benjamin Franklin High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Benjamin Franklin High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews. Top