Public charter
Students enrolled: 1,709
Before care: Yes

Lusher Charter School 3

Posted October 20, 2014
Lusher has many good things going for it but as with many schools its all about testing. The administration has become very strict with how deal with minor infractions of its students especially boys. There are some very inspired teachers here that are dedicated and a handful that should reconsider teaching as a profession.

Posted September 19, 2014
I am a UNO student working on my Master of Arts in Teaching. I would recommend this school to everyone, regardless of age or ability. A struggling student might excel here because the culture nurtures hard work. Today I met a teacher in the hallway. "What do you teach?" "Engineering." To which I replied, "This is a high school, right?" He explained a K - 12 program that mirrors university work. Sounds like these guys believe that if you expect the best, and your kids will surprise the heck out of you.

Posted April 29, 2014
I've been hearing about this schools outstanding achievements and can't wait til my daughter is old enough to attend!

Lusher Charter School 4

Posted August 22, 2013
This school is definitely an above average school. The students are well behaved, and there is a lot of dialogue between the administration and teachers.

Posted February 17, 2013
Wow! This is, without a doubt, not just one of the best schools in New Orleans- it has to be one of the best schools in the United States. We have done it all: private school, parochial, and "blue ribbon" public in the northeast. Lusher leaves them all in the dust. Th arts-based education is what most parents only dream of: the perfect combination of academics and the music and art that make New Orleans special. Every morning the children have an outdoor concert with dancing, the pride rules emphasize kindness, and the parental involvement is second-to-none. We received a very generous job offer in another state, but refused it to keep the children at Lusher. I'm just jealous I didn't get to attend myself.

Lusher Charter School 4

Posted March 24, 2012
(continued from prev review) of the class, at the expense of going through more curriculum. While this is certainly appreciable, there are some kids who just don't have a very great appreciation for learning. There should be programs to encourage those who fall behind, as well as reward those who are a cut above their class. That being said, I realize the financial constraints these programs may impose on the school, and the "gifted program" does attempt to address this. However, the very nature of the gifted program at NOPS is a faulty one. The school receives greater funding for reporting more gifted students, so naturally it does. Consequently, what we get is a system where a large majority of the kids are gifted when they shouldn't be. This means the teaching process is not ideal. It goes too fast for some kids and not fast enough for others. Some kids fall behind in a vicious cycle, and the best and brightest don't reach their full potential. Lusher isn't ideal for everyone, but I have known plenty of people who went through Lusher, Ben Franklin, and then on to great colleges (myself included). In retrospect, there are many superior schools throughout the country - private

Posted June 21, 2011
Lusher is an amazing school. It's student body is diverse. The arts focus is strong and strengthens the academics. The leadership is focused and consistent. The students are challenged. Overall the experience is far stronger and more rounded because of the addition of the arts, something that places Lusher heads and tails above its academics-only rivals. Two of my three children graduated from Lusher; the third (who attended the "other" academically superior high school) wishes she had stayed.

Lusher Charter School 2

Posted May 23, 2011
Lusher is a great school, academically. There are many things, though, that it can change. Even as a charter school, I feel that each year I am asked more and more for money that I don't see benefiting my child whatsoever. Lusher staff holds grudges on students that have messed up in the past a little and they don't treat all of their students fairly.

Posted October 13, 2010
dedicated teachers that make students think for themselves

Lusher Charter School 0

Posted September 22, 2010
My graduated in 2009 and had a fabulous experience being a "Lusher" kid! I love the programs, teachers, staff and the unique students who attend.

Lusher Charter School
5624 Freret Street, New Orleans, LA  70115
Last modified Lusher Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lusher Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 67 reviews. Top