Public charter
New Orleans, LA
Students enrolled: 1,709

Posted April 22, 2015
We love everything about this school. The teachers and administrators are all wonderful and very caring. I call it an infectious school. Its four principles have captivated our family and you truly feel it radiating from the campus. Be Kind, Be responsible, be respectful to people and property and always do you best work. Literally walking in the gate in the morning and you feel the kindness. AND Morning meeting is WONDERFUL!!!! i look forward to it everyday! It's entertaining and informative and seeing the kids sing and dance EVERY day is inspiring!! Also i would guess that typically 200 other parents are there every morning watching and enjoying morning meeting just like me. Great time to socialize and get involved or just give that last hug and kiss to your child as they head off to class. I think all the quantitative data shows the academic superiority of the school and that alone makes it great, but all the intangibles, the creativity and love oozing from it, is what makes it WAY WAY WAY beyond EXCELLENT!!! From 1-5 its an 11

Lusher Charter School 1

Posted February 23, 2015
I hate every high school aspect of Lusher. The dress code is too strict to say we are an "arts school". How are the students supposed to show ff their creativity with being told how to dress? Some of the administration holds grudges against students who have messed up in the past and that's unprofessional. My high school experience at Lusher is at a 1 on a scale from one to ten; one being the lowest. I regret staying at Lusher for high school and i hate it.

Lusher Charter School 3

Posted October 20, 2014
Lusher has many good things going for it but as with many schools its all about testing. The administration has become very strict with how deal with minor infractions of its students especially boys. There are some very inspired teachers here that are dedicated and a handful that should reconsider teaching as a profession.

Posted September 19, 2014
I am a UNO student working on my Master of Arts in Teaching. I would recommend this school to everyone, regardless of age or ability. A struggling student might excel here because the culture nurtures hard work. Today I met a teacher in the hallway. "What do you teach?" "Engineering." To which I replied, "This is a high school, right?" He explained a K - 12 program that mirrors university work. Sounds like these guys believe that if you expect the best, and your kids will surprise the heck out of you.

Posted April 29, 2014
I've been hearing about this schools outstanding achievements and can't wait til my daughter is old enough to attend!

Lusher Charter School 4

Posted August 22, 2013
This school is definitely an above average school. The students are well behaved, and there is a lot of dialogue between the administration and teachers.

Posted February 17, 2013
Wow! This is, without a doubt, not just one of the best schools in New Orleans- it has to be one of the best schools in the United States. We have done it all: private school, parochial, and "blue ribbon" public in the northeast. Lusher leaves them all in the dust. Th arts-based education is what most parents only dream of: the perfect combination of academics and the music and art that make New Orleans special. Every morning the children have an outdoor concert with dancing, the pride rules emphasize kindness, and the parental involvement is second-to-none. We received a very generous job offer in another state, but refused it to keep the children at Lusher. I'm just jealous I didn't get to attend myself.

Lusher Charter School 4

Posted March 24, 2012
(continued from prev review) of the class, at the expense of going through more curriculum. While this is certainly appreciable, there are some kids who just don't have a very great appreciation for learning. There should be programs to encourage those who fall behind, as well as reward those who are a cut above their class. That being said, I realize the financial constraints these programs may impose on the school, and the "gifted program" does attempt to address this. However, the very nature of the gifted program at NOPS is a faulty one. The school receives greater funding for reporting more gifted students, so naturally it does. Consequently, what we get is a system where a large majority of the kids are gifted when they shouldn't be. This means the teaching process is not ideal. It goes too fast for some kids and not fast enough for others. Some kids fall behind in a vicious cycle, and the best and brightest don't reach their full potential. Lusher isn't ideal for everyone, but I have known plenty of people who went through Lusher, Ben Franklin, and then on to great colleges (myself included). In retrospect, there are many superior schools throughout the country - private

Posted June 21, 2011
Lusher is an amazing school. It's student body is diverse. The arts focus is strong and strengthens the academics. The leadership is focused and consistent. The students are challenged. Overall the experience is far stronger and more rounded because of the addition of the arts, something that places Lusher heads and tails above its academics-only rivals. Two of my three children graduated from Lusher; the third (who attended the "other" academically superior high school) wishes she had stayed.

Lusher Charter School 2

Posted May 23, 2011
Lusher is a great school, academically. There are many things, though, that it can change. Even as a charter school, I feel that each year I am asked more and more for money that I don't see benefiting my child whatsoever. Lusher staff holds grudges on students that have messed up in the past a little and they don't treat all of their students fairly.

Lusher Charter School
5624 Freret Street, New Orleans, LA  70115
Last modified Lusher Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lusher Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 60 reviews. Top