Mcdonogh #35 Senior High School

Public | 7-12 | 869 students

Posted August 22, 2009

I have been attending 35 ever since I was in the seventh grade, I am a current sophmore and to me there's no greater place! I love this school, it's my home away from home! -mj

Posted February 20, 2009

35 is a great school. Unlike what most people may think recently about it beins about nothing but sports, allcoaches at 35 shallenge you academicaly

Posted December 25, 2008

I am an 8th grader that attends McDonogh 35 and I have been going there since 7th grade. I think 35 is a really great school, and I plan on graduating from the school. I love the principal and how he conduct things through out the entire school!

Posted December 6, 2008

I attend McDonogh #35 and I love the school. Im a 9th grader, but I been there since 8th, and it is the best! Im a Roneagle 4 ever!!!

Posted November 2, 2008

My grandson attends Mcdonogh #35 and there are some positive things going on at the school. However, the school needs a serious make over. The neighborhhood leaves a lot to be desired. I wished I lived in the city, I would start a clean up and lets look better effort It is a depresssing environment.

Posted October 17, 2008

I think McDonogh 35 Sr. High School is the best of the best!!!! My two son's went there. The faculty is wonderful... It's like a big Family... My son's are both doing excellent... brenda brossett, Jared & Elery

Posted October 9, 2008

Mcd 35 is an excellent school! My child attends this school! She is learning about new things everyday, good job 3-5!

Posted July 9, 2008

mcdonogh #35 is still an excellent school that demands excellence out of its studends

Posted May 18, 2008

This is the best school in Orleans Parish!

Posted January 28, 2008

I loved McDonogh #35. It was perhaps the greatest experience of my educational career!

Posted September 17, 2007

It was great before Katrina, now its bad. A lack of books and desks and the lack of good teachers.

Posted September 18, 2006

Other than my spiritual background, I can honestly say that McDonogh #35 has had the single most influence in my life! The school stood out amongst all others in not only the city of New Orleans, but in Louisiana and in the United States. It is known as the 'A Choice, Not an Echo'. The school had many extracurricular activies, band(my favorite), choir, basketball,.. the list goes on and on. Many of the teachers were themselves alumni of McDonogh #35. They returned and gave back to the school over and over again. My favorites and long standing teachers? Sophia Conway, Mr. Lloyd L. Harris, Ms Harris(Science), Mr. Harris(Science). We started out our days in the bandroom, had band as a class, and ended our days in band.We were encouraged to excel in education. The school held its own against the private schools in N.O. I love Mcd # #35.

Posted May 7, 2006

Founded in 1917, Mcdonogh No. 35 College Prepatory High School has proven to be not only a key factor in the future of black educated new orleanians, but an important role in the culture and history of the city of New Orleans. Located in the nations first all black community, students at '35' are prepared to take on all challenges of life. This is a school that I am a proud alumnus of. My two sisters are Roneagles. My dad was a Roneagle. And I would be honored if my children make the choice to keep our 'Roneagle family' a prestigious heritage. A nationally recognized blue ribbon school, and the city of New Orleans' best kept academic secret, its time for the world to know that 'everywhere you go, there is a Roneagle.' -Graduate, Class of 1998. -A Choice...Not an Echo.

Posted January 27, 2006

As a 1983 graduate of McDonogh 35 and the parent of 2002 (Grambling St.)and 2005 (Jackson St.) graduates, I cannot begin to express the gratitude that I have for this 'Historical Black' institution. McD 35, not only prepared me for the academic world, but to become a servant of my community. While it may not have the best of facilities it consistently turns out the best students. It taught us self pride and with that we can sit at the table with others who are different but be self assured that we also bring something to that table. The city of New Orleans, State of Louisiana and the OPSB should be proud that such a school exist in their backyard. Which proves that with high expectations, our children rise to the occasion. It's has been said to 'unto whom much is given, shall much be required.' Ever High 35 Thank you, Class of

Posted January 22, 2006

I love mcd 35. It is truly one of the best school in New Orleans. The history of the school runs so deep. Nothing can stop this school from educating. HIGH 35!

Posted January 18, 2006

I am a former student at McD35. My daughter is a junior this year. We were displaced by Hurricane Katrina and she never stopped longing for 'Fair 35'. I thought I knew of the 'die-hard' 35 student body and alumni; but, she has really been ridiculous in her appeal to get back to New Orleans and go to 'her' school. 35 has always been an influence in our city, and I hope and pray that it will continue to thrive as such. May God continue to shine his countenance upon 35 and all of the survivors of Hurricane Katrina. Loving Parent/Alumni
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 11, 2005

McDonogh 35 was the best thing that has happened to me. The parents,students and teachers know what kind of school we have and they want to keep it that way. This school prepared me for life after high school and college. Thank you!

Posted September 9, 2004

This school ranks as one of the highest public schools in the City of New Orleans. The Teaching Staff is very knowledgeable and caring, they promote self pride, respect and confidence in a diminishing school system. The Principal takes a personal interest in each and every student. The students are challenged under unfavorable circumstances and still excelle as some of the brightest. The marching band is one of the best in the country. The parents appear to be involved. The school I would rate as a 5 because the are still competing with unlikely odds. Schools like this one inspires hope. My son is a sophmore student at this school, it is his first year attending. I am very optomistic.

Posted January 18, 2004

McDonogh 35 is an excellent institution, leading in Academic Achievement, and Extracurricular involvement in both students teachers. McDonogh 35 is not just an ordinary school, it is a school that cares about the student as a whole. Focusing on its academic achievement as well as social growth and the growth of the muturaity level in teenagers. McDonogh 35 is an excellent, safe, enviorment for learning. My children love attending there, and I am very comfortable sending them there, it is truly a wounderful school I just can't say enough. I am forever grateful for McDonogh 35. Thank you so much, from my children as well as myself.

Posted August 26, 2003

This is my son's second (sophomore) year at McDonogh 35. Teens are over-stressed enough at home and in the community. To me school should be not only a place of academia, but also where students can develop social skills and be made to feel 'a part'. That is what 35 did for my son. McDonogh 35 provided an environment of learning and condusive familiarity that my son was able to maintain his GPA (4.01), make friends and simply enjoy his first year of high school. He loves the Roneagles. To a parent, this speaks highly of the institution overall. My son is a great teen, and 35 is a great school--they have bonded to my good pleasure and peace of mind. I prayed that he would matriculate in a school during his secondary school years, out of which he could get a fulfillment of experiencing a wholesome teenage academic and social setting. Thanks 35.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

184 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

184 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Special staff resources available to students ELL/ESL Coordinator
Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Nurse(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Phillip J White
Fax number
  • (504) 942-0276

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

• ELL/ESL Coordinator
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options