Eleanor Mcmain Secondary School

Public | 7-12

Posted July 20, 2008

I love McMain this will be my 4th year at mcmain. My only problem is the principal's lack of language skills. I feel that she dosen't represent the school in a professional way. The teachers are great and so is some of the security. I can't wait for school to start!

Posted July 18, 2008

I love this school, everyone is very well mannered, and accepting. The teachers are very patient and caring.

Posted June 14, 2008

this school excellent im proud of my kids & myself for attending them there

Posted May 23, 2008

I currently attend Eleanor Mcmain High School. I have a 4.3 GPA and top of my class. I have only been in America for 5 years, and I was able to get into gifted classes by annoying the counselors constantly. I ask teachers for help during tets, and they are glad to help me. I work hard for me GPA. America is cool. The cavfeteria food is very good.. Sometime they serve orange cihicken.

Posted April 6, 2008

McMain is unique in that its faculty teaches to the whole child. We provide quality educational curricula to children of all academic levels and walks of life. We offer a wide range of extra-curricular activities to our students so they may have a rich, normal high school experience. The students are generally self-motivated, well-mannered and make working at McMain a pleasure.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 3, 2008

I came to McMain after Hurricane Katrina. In the beginning, I simply felt lucky to have a job after the worst disaster in U.S. history. Now I feel lucky to be teaching at McMain because it is an excellent school. There are many extracurricular activities for the students to participate in. The teachers truly teach. They care about the students. I find the administration to be supportive and positive. As far as the physical facility....well, the interior was repainted and cleaned after the storm, but the exterior, the grounds, and the absolutely gorgeous auditorium need a lot of work. I'm proud to be a teacher at McMain.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 17, 2007

I love this school, i would say overall best in New Orleans, La.

Posted May 16, 2007

Both my girls attend Eleanor McMain Secondary. Although, I'm not impress with the physical look of the building - I must say academically - it challenges it students. My oldest will be a graduating Senior in the class of 2007. She has flourish academic and athletically. The teachers are more involved and step in to help the kids. It is a facility where the faculty is family. They have learned to acculumated themselves and the staff into growing together to achieve their goals. My youngest will remain there until gradation in the Class of 2010. She has also, academically challenge herself and the staff as well. She also participate in extra curriculum activities as well as the graduating senior of 2007. I must say I have been please with the way Ms. Fricke, Mr. Lewis, and Ms. Hicks have grown into helping their students. Jodi

Posted October 17, 2006

I attended Mcmain and graduated in 2001. I received an excellent education; when I arrived at college most of the New Orleans graduates from other schools were taking remedial courses. I started a regular curriculum and was able to test well for the math and composition courses. While attending McMain I participated in four sports, soccer, track, football, and baseball; the emphasis is more on academics than sports, but the programs are available. I have friends who went on from McMain to work and graduate with graphic design and other fine arts degrees. There was a support system including clubs and courses for a wide range of artistic academics.

Posted July 24, 2006

Hello, my son Joseph M. Bland attended Eleanor Mcmain High School for his freshman and sophomore years from august 2003 thru may/june 2005. It is unfortunate that he had to relocate to Texas to continue with his college prep. education requirements. My son enjoyed his first two years of high school very much and was a dedicated member of Mcmain's football program. It is our hope that Eleanor Mcmain as well as all of the other Orleans parish schools have a successful future of recovery.

Posted January 15, 2006

I went to Eleanor Laura McMain Secondary Magnet High School for ninth and the first two weeks of tenth grade. Due to Hurricane Katrina I had to go to the New Orleans Center for Math & Science Charter High School, because the school down the street, Alcee Fortier High, took it over, and by took it over I mean most of its students go to McMain now. I remember after the 2004-2005 school year a lot of stuff changed, they fired a lot of teachers and two librarians. The Diciplinarian always wanted the students to wear their ID's on the outside of their shirts. McMain was one of the best high schools in the state of Louisiana and if they open another high school in the uptown area of the city, and those Fortier students go there it will once again be one of the best in state.

Posted January 1, 2006

I attended McMain from 2001 until 2005. Due to Hurricane Katrina I no longer attend. McMain was a great school for my first few years. Once uniforms were made mandatory many things changed. Uniform violations became more important than the learning. Our school rank dropped from 2 to 4. Our school also changed a lot because of the new principal and assistant principal. McMain was a unique school before they came. They treated us as if we were like the kids in the other schools when were not. They made our school feel like a prison. They took away many of our freedoms without warning. I still love my school but only because it is my home. It is still a good school but it was once a great school.

Posted October 24, 2005

I attended McMain Magnet school from 7th through 12th grades and it was the best experience of my life. The teachers and the atmosphere were amazing. I participated in the choir, cheerleading, and track and field and they were all rewarding. The students and faculty are a lot like family, you would think that you were attending a small private school because of the close knit community. The teachers, principal, counselers, and even the security guards cared about us. And the school really prepared me for college. I never needed tutoring in any of my subjects once I entered college, I was fully prepared. I would never trade my experience at McMain for anything else in a million years. Although the school could use tons of work,I am glad I dealt with it. Because my time there left a priceless impression on my life. Class of 2004.

Posted August 11, 2005

Academically McMain is one of the best schools in the orleans school district. The students are an assortment of different cultures, which teaches students to get along with all different types of personailites. My youngest sister has been there since her 8th grade year and I have watched her grow into an independent student, and a knowledgable young woman. While the extracurricular activities are not voted 'well organized' in my book I would still recomend all future high school attenders to look into attending this school.

Posted July 5, 2005

There is nothing better than a McMain education. McMain supplied me with the educational and social skills that I needed in order to be the successful, productive member of society that I am now. While the physical attributes of McMain are not very appealing, the thing that matters most--the quality of the education--is greater than anything that anyone could ever imagine. I have never seen a school whose faculty and staff are more caring, attentive, and greatly concerned about the welfare of the students. I often go back to McMain and volunteer because I know that I am the person that I am today because I attended this wonderful institution of higher education. Whenever someone asks what school did I attend, my heart beams as I proudly say, 'I went to McMain'.

Posted December 18, 2004

Thank god for eleanor mcmain secondary magnet truly the new orleans public school system does not know the sheer potential and worth of this establishment. Out of the dilapidated walls and floors of this school come excellent members of society functioning proficiently on a social and academic level. This school has academia, social cultivation, extracurricular activities and teachers who are worth far more than thier weight in platinum. If mcmain had better facilities it would be able to surpass it's 'glass cieling'. I am greatful for every minute spent in this hallowed learning establishment, and i hail it's reputation constantly.

Posted September 11, 2004

My dauther is presently attending McMain. I would not trade if for any other school. Physically the school needs work. Educationally it is all that. The faculty and staff display genuine concern toward the young adults future and prepare the accordingly.

Posted July 16, 2004

My daughter has been a student at McMain for one-full calendar year. Although I have been generally please with her instructors for her core subjects (english, math, and, I have been less impressed with her social studies and keyboarding instructors. I am also floored by the physical condition of McMain. My daughter doesn't use the restrooms there and I don't blame her. They are often filthy. It is not the aethesically pleasing environment to encourage learning. Easy access to classrooms or other parts of the school is an issue as well. I can often roam the school without being stopped or questioned.

Posted May 25, 2004

I am a graduate of McMain Magnet. I found that the school prepared me for rigorous college coursework in the areas of English and Social Studies. I would rate both departments as superior. The science department is above average, and the math department is only average. The athletic department is not the best, but there are so many different activities offered at McMain that it is hard to say that the school is lacking extra-curricular activities. I have returned to McMain several times in the past few years. I am thoroughly disappointed at the downward spiral that the school appears to be taking. The school is currently the 7th best school in the state. This is down from the 5th best school a year ago. Hopefully, the new principal can salvage what is left of the schools reputation.

Posted April 20, 2004

My son graduated from McMain after three years at Ben Franklin. In making the switch, I realized that McMain is a much stronger school. I think Ben Franklin is skating on its reputation and has a 'you're smart, so teach yourself attitude.' The teachers at McMain encouraged students to ask questions and seemed to work with them until they grasped the concepts. Had I known the caliber of the teachers at McMain, I would have sent my son there for all of his middle and high school years instead of only his senior year. It is a great educational opportunity for bright students and it really challenges 'gifted' non-achievers (those who have been bored so long that making good grades isn't an incentive to apply themselves at school).

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

113 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

113 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 13% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 82%N/A67%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

• Nurse(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Bridgette Frick
Fax number
  • (504) 862-5123

Foreign languages taught
  • French
  • Spanish

• Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Dance

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5712 South Claiborne Avenue