No rating

Mount Carmel Academy (Girls)

Private | 8-12 | 1184 students

Living in New Orleans

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $189,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,220.

Posted March 12, 2014

When I first heard about Mount Carmel, I thought I am definitely going there. Then I had my spend a day. My tour guide kept leaving me behind and I couldn't catch up to her. The hallways were not really filled with laughter and joy but either way I still went here. Honestly I think it was the worst mistake of my life. People bully others and girls do things that they shouldn't. My cousin even suffered terribly there. I honestly don't think it's the school for me anymore.

Posted January 13, 2014

I attend Mt. Carmel and I absolutely love it! I met so many new friends here. At first, I was really scared to go to an all girl school because I thought that there would be so much drama, but there actually isn't really any drama here at MCA. Also at MCA there's so many fun events such as spirit day, but at the same time we learn a lot. The school can definetly be challenging at times, but it's manageable. If I could pick another high school to attend, I would still pick MCA!

Posted September 6, 2013

I am a graduate of MCA, and I really can't say one truly negative thing about my school. I'm from an average, middle class household, and i never experienced any of of snobbery or bullying that is being suggested in the comments. The school has so much to offer, and the faculty and staff are truly dedicated to helping each girl be the best she can be in every aspect of her life. Of course, things aren't perfect. There may be an occasional bad teacher or mean girl, but I don't know of a school without these things. The curriculum can be difficult at times, but that is a part of high school, and I've found that working this hard in high school has prepared me for college, as well. MCA is also very focused on spirituality. I wouldn't be the Catholic woman I am today had i not gone there. I am incredibly proud to tell people where I graduated from, and I hope that if/when I have girls, they will choose to go to MCA as well.

Posted April 1, 2013

This academy is the best private school in Louisiana for girls. Taught in the Catholic tradition with academic excellence as the aspiration while still providing multiple opportunities for all. The school values and protects its rich tradition and diverse opportunities for all. The leadership at Mount Carmel is stellar. Mount Carmel, is led by Sr. Camille Anne Campbell, whose guidance has made MCA the academically superior choice. I highly recommend it if values and education are both important characteristics sought in the education of your child.

Posted January 11, 2013

The girls are fake and there is a lot of superficial and materialistic people in that school. To belong, you have to have what it takes to be like the rest of the girls there. If you don't, you're not going to feel welcomed.

Posted April 15, 2012

I attended Mt. Carmel from 2001-2005 and I loved every minute of it. Was it challenging? Yes. Was I stressed out sometimes? Yes. Did I always get along with every girl there? No. However, those are all normal parts of high school. Students are suppose to be challenged! It helps them learn how to work hard and achieve goals. When I attended MCA there were approximately 1200 girls in school there. You aren't going to get along with every. That is just a part of life. I think that is an important lesson to learn early on. That being said, I made some of the best friends I'll ever have during my time at MCA. I found the teachers to be extremely interested in our progress and in our well-being. However, they do not baby you. If you are struggling they expect you to seek them out for help. There is ample time throughout the school day and after school to do this. I never had any problems with getting help from a teacher when I needed it. I am now a teacher can appreciate how much work goes into creating an environment like the one at Mt. Carmel. Sr. Camile Ann is an amazing woman and role model and I wish I could work for a principal like her! She believes in her students and staff!

Posted January 5, 2012

I'm a student here, and it's amazing. People who complain about it being too stressful are just not working hard enough!

Posted May 19, 2011

I went to Mount Carmel for 2 years during high school. I had never been exposed to such catty, snobby, and bullying behavior by fellow students. Several of the teachers saw this behavior and did nothing. Those two years were the most stressful times in my early years. I will never recommend anyone send their child to a school that handles bullying by sweeping it under the rug. It is sad to say that I had been looking forward to my years at Mount Carmel but quickly changed my opinion of this school.

Posted June 22, 2010

I have been a parent and a teacher at this school and I have never seen a school that cares so much about the success of its students. My two girls were as different as night and day, one an honor society, student council officer, involved in every club; the other a B student who was only involved in service. Both fit in and found their niche. The principal knows every student, cares about the girl, her circumstances and her family. The faculty is well trained and dedicated to making each a girl a successful person. Being a teacher here is hard, a lot is expected of you - additional training, classes, less off time than any other school. In the end it is all for the betterment of the student. You have to love teaching to work here and it shows. I am proud of what this school does!

Posted October 15, 2009

Wonderful group of girls at this school and makes you part of a sisterhood for the rest of your life.

Posted October 13, 2009

The staff, administration, and the students are all compassionate, spiritual, and caring followers of Christ and the Catholic Churtch.

Posted October 12, 2009

great academics and sports although i would still give it a four.

Posted August 26, 2009

I go to mca this year. reading these comments made me want to say that i am in all honors and i am not stressed. I feel very welcomed at the school, and as you walk down the hall tons of people say hi. This morning me and my friend passed a new 8th grader in the hall with birthday balloons on her school bag. We said HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and i think it made her feel good to have an older girl wish her happy birthday. I'm in the play also and i feel that it is only too much to handle if your in too many clubs at once. I would recommend to find 1 or 2 clubs that really interest you, and stick with them. Don't get in too many clubs because you won't really be a member you'll just be there. I LOVE MCA!! GO CLASS OF 2013!

Posted February 17, 2009

My daughter is a freshman this year who attended MCA for the 8th grade as well. MCA strives to prepare your daughter for her college years. The curriculum is extremely challenging;but is worth all of the hard work! My daughter seems to be learing on a higher level then some of her friends that attend private or public schools. To me that is all it should take to understand what a fantastic job MCA does in showing the girls what college life will be like as well as the real world! Sister Camille Anne teaches the girls how to become leaders. The teachers are wonderful they try to help each student with any difficulties they may have and where to go to get the extra help they may need in any subject. MCA is a very safe and well disciplined school. I have another daughter coming in 2009-2010! GO CUBS!

Posted January 26, 2009

I am a parent of an 8th grader who will most likely look for another school next year. The workload and projects especially in the honor's program are extremely stressful. Many girls are often overwhelmed, exhausted, and stressed. It's not a very healthy environment. The school puts on a very nice show at open house, but once there they only seem to care about the top students. The administration is also extremely closed and unavailable to parents. I believe the school is too large .Even the extacurriculars are highly competitive. Some extremely talented girls can be happy there, but it's not the best school for everyone.

Posted December 9, 2008

I attend mca, and i am not pleased. the academics are stressful. i feel like i am being pushed to the limit. the girls there seem to be very fake. they seem happy and sweet at open house, but now that i go there, i am realizing that no one cares about anyone that isnt in there clique

Posted September 18, 2008

I just graduated recently and now in college. Mount Carmel prepared me so well. Almost every teacher and student is willing to do anything and everything to help you succeed in school and in life. Everyone is so loving and caring. There is so much spirit in Mount Carmel, teachers included. For those complaining about the work load, I just have one thing to say: it doesn't get any easier in college! If students took advantage of all the services offered at MCA, including I.S., NHS and MAO tutoring, teachers, and counselors, the work load is doable. No, you won't get 8-10 hours of sleep every night, but if less sleep allows you to get good grades and participate in even a few of the awesome extracurriculars, it is worth it. It is not for everyone, but it definitely worth a closer look, time, and consideration. GO CUBS!

Posted December 17, 2007

I am currently a student at Mount Carmel, and am not very pleased with the school. As others have said, there is a lot of homework. Teachers are unenthusiastic and unwilling to help. I feel like individuality and creativity are not encouraged, nor is creating your own opinion. I am planning on swithching schools next year.

Posted December 9, 2007

I am a graduate of Mount Carmel Academy and I am currently attending Louisiana State University. I feel like I could not be more prepared for college and I give all the credit to Mount Carmel. I know current students are complaining about a lot of homework or studying late into the night, but its school and get use to it because it is exactly the same in college. If Mount Carmel did not give homework and push me to work hard, I would not have the grades and the persistence to do well in college. I know, just like any school, when you are there you find things to complain about because it is school, but after no longer being there you realize how incredible of a school it is. I will always love and cherish MCA.

Posted September 3, 2007

I came across this website and read the reviews about MCA. As a former student of MCA, I can truly say how blessed I was to have the opportunity to attend MCA for my high school years. I think that MCA is a great school that helped prepare me for college and then for life. MCA offered not only an academic foundation but a spiritual one. I read one review from a former student who was some what not satisfied with her experience at MCA. My comment to her and everyone else who is considering MCA as a possible school, it is school and you are going to get from it what you put into it. If you put your heart and head into the school, you will be extremely satisfied with the outcome. If you are give the chance to be apart of MCA make the most of it.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• 'Camille A. Campbell,O.Carm.'
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Fax number
  • (504) 288-7629

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New Orleans

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7027 Milne Boulevard