No rating

Mount Carmel Academy

Private | 8-12

Living in New Orleans

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $189,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,220.

Posted August 2, 2007

My daughter graduated from Mt. Carmel four years ago and will be graduating from college next year. She loves and cherishes MCA. Her first 2 years at MCA were very difficult, despite the good grades in a grammar school well known for its accelerated program. She had to study a lot which left no time to participate in the extracurriculars that she loved. In her sophomore and junior year my daughter took advantage of the free NHS peer tutoring service. It was a great decision! Her grades rose to A's and B's and she joined in many after school & volunteer activities. The biggest testimony to MCA is that my daughter was so well prepared for college. Sending her off to college worried me because of the difficult start she had in high school. However, she has been on the Dean's list and President's Honor roll throughout her college years.

Posted July 19, 2007

High Quality Academic Programs. Fabulous Extra-Curriculars Activities. There is an abundance to choose from. High level of parent involvement.

Posted April 15, 2007

I am not a parent, but I thought it would be nice to have the perspective of a current Mount Carmel Academy student. I have attended Mount Carmel since eighth grade. I believe Sister Camille Anne does a wonderful job of running the school. I love the extra-curricular activities and clubs. My only complaint is the homework. Every day I hear someone saying how they only got 3 or 4 hours of sleep. I think this problem needs to be addressed because I don't think that is very healthy. Besides this, Mount Carmel is a terrific school that I believe has helped me become a more intelligent and confident individual.

Posted September 12, 2006

My daughter is a freshman this year who attended 8th grade there as well. Sister Camille Anne is a wonderful leader and truly loves 'her girls'. The facilities, despite hurricane damage, are incredible. The curriculum is challenging; my daughter seems to be learning more than her friends attending other area schools. NEGATIVES: The amount of homework is excessive. Several of the teachers seem bored and impatient, not eager to teach and interact. My biggest disappointment has been the students. I'm not sure what else sister Camille Anne can do to influence the negative aspects of the personalities of the general population of the school, but it is a problem that must be resolved.

Posted May 4, 2006

First of all, I just have to say that I am in love with Mount Carmel. To be honest, I am new there this year. They have treated me with so much love and were so welcoming to me its unreal. I feel like this is my home, and that I've been going to school there for longer than reality. Its truly an amazing school with an amazing academics program. The teachers are better than ever. I can count on them, along with the administration, to teach me academics, along with many important values in life. You build so many relationships each and every day, with some of the greatest people in this world. Mount Carmel may not be the school for everyone, but I definetely know that its the right one for me. I love MCA and you will too! -asketch

Posted January 21, 2006

Mount carmel is an excellent school. My child adores MCA. She loves all of her teachers and the relationships they share. She also loves the school spirit. Sister Camille Anne is by far one of the greatest school leaders out there.

Posted January 7, 2006

Mt. Carmel is by far one of the greatest schools ever. I love it.

Posted January 6, 2006

I graduated from Mount Carmel some years ago, and having had a few years to reflect, I certainly have mixed feelings about the experience. Teachers are somewhat of a mixed bag- some are absolutely incredible and eager to truly challenge their students while an at least equal number are completely lacking inspiration and clearly somewhat bored to death. After graduation, I attended a prestigious university and found myself, in most cases, significantly less prepared than my peers. Mount Carmel is certainly not the school for the creative, introspective, questioning young woman. Questions of religion, and specifically women's role within it, are not so much explored and discussed as they are dictated. However, as I said, my feelings are quite mixed. I had a few truly incredible teachers who I still keep in touch with now and my experience with extracurriculars was, for the most part, very positive.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 17, 2004

I'm currently a sophomore at mca, there's a lot of homework given but the teachers are there to help you reduce the stress of the homework. The counselors are great, they are there for you anytime you need them. They aren't just there to help with act and sat or your classes they are there for you whenever and for whatever. The students and teachers alike have amazing school spirit.

Posted December 2, 2004

I am a freshman at MCA this year and its ok. I think there is a bit too much homework, but with IS it is easier. One thing I absolutely have to comment on is the SPIRIT at school. There is so much spirit even from the teachers.

Posted September 16, 2004

My daughter is a Junior this year and she loves MCA. I think that there ia too much home work given even in non honor classes. They want the girls to be involved but with all the home work it makes it very difficult. I understand that homework is an important tool in helping the girls understand what was done in class, but when you have 25 or more questions/problems for one subject for home work it gets to be a bit much. Other than the home work I think my daughter is getting a wonderful education. The prinicpal is great. She tells the girls the way it is with a sence of humor and is very funny at times.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• All girls
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New Orleans

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7027 Milne Boulevard