St. Anthony Of Padua School

Private | PK-7 | 160 students

Living in New Orleans

Situated in an inner city neighborhood. The median home value is $103,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,010.

Sweep tile

Posted August 2, 2013

Excellent teacher to student ratio. A very nurturing Catholic environment. We feel that our child is being developed both academically and spiritually.

Posted July 9, 2012

This school needs a complete overhaul. Every aspect of the school is outdated: the faculty, the facility, the curriculum and the approach to learning. There is no PTA, no play area for the kids, very few extracurricular activities and a lack of hands on learning. There is outright favoritism and unfair assessments for students. I was embarrassed when my child was tested to go to another school at how far behind the was. The website contains no current information about what is going on at the school. The tuition is pricey compared to other catholic schools. The teacher had no control of the students.Thank God I taught her at home.

Posted March 3, 2012

St. Anthony of Padua is an excellent school for my three children. Strong traditional leadership and excellent caring teachers who instill morals and values as well as educational excellenc.. The students are treated with dignity and respect and the same is expected of them in return. The children who attend St. Anthony are polite and respectful and the staff is always on top of their game. Not only have my children excelled academicly but they have also learned how to play the piano, recorder and also sign language. The children take Spanish from kindergarten through 7th grade. I come from a family of educators and can say with confidence this school knows how to form moral leaders.

Posted May 31, 2011

I agree with several of the previous writers. I truly have a problem with any school that is not culturally diverse. Over 90% of the student body is African American and Black history month is not acknowledged. For the Martin Luther King Holiday a notice was sent home stating school was closed for a student holiday versus school was closed to observe and Celebrate the contributions of Dr. Martin Luther King. My child was in 2nd grade this year and it was truly a struggle. The curriculum needs to be redeveloped to adopt a more creative approach to learning which includes interactive learning activities for children. The current curriculum is dated and to be frankly honest is lacking especially in math.

Posted May 28, 2011

St.Antony of Padua is a great diappointment...We couldn't ask for a better principal, but there are other staff who do not work well with such a diverse group of people. There is an obvious lack of concern and attention given to all children. This year my child was in 2nd grade and I must say this has been the worst school experience of any of my children through the years. This school lack essential programs, extra curricular activities, field trips, and a decent playground for kids to play. What are we paying for? There are schools out there with better academics and other programs that cater to the whole child.

Posted December 11, 2010

I absolutely love this school. I have a four year old and a two year old each in their first year at St. Anthony's. My oldest son enjoys school so much that he often begs me to stay! That said, it is not as if they are playing around all day, they are learning and the teachers are strict but loving. My two year old is quite the handful and the teachers and principal have gone above and beyond to work with me on his behavior issues. Aside from the excellent staff, the school is extremely diverse and I have not found a school of this caliber for a better price anywhere in the city!

Posted March 22, 2010

I believe that the principle is the head of any good school. St. Anthony has a strong principal, but the school doesn't cater to students of diverse races. Their are no programs to inform students of their history and they dare not speak of President Obama. And if you do not have any alphabets behind ur name, your child is not treated the same. Let'sface it alot of us are average Joe parents. Money talks at St. Anthony. Most of the students have trouble in the classes and teachers offer little assistance to them. There are hardly any extra curricular activities and foreign language is a joke. I agree the 2nd grade teacher is great, but the rest of the faculty need to update their teaching style to accomadate the students that they teach. Students are graded so hard and are given little chance at success. This is our last year

Posted September 20, 2009

After researching and visiting schools in our area, we discovered St. Anthony of Padua! Our son, who had been unhappy in school his first two years in New Orleans, became engaged and happy, made friends and immediately began participating in many of the multitude of activities available. If only he had been at St. Anthony when he started school! The curriculum is constantly evolving with the times. When he graduated, he was extremely well prepared for high school academically, but even more important, he had been in an environment where he was safe, happy and had learned to value and respect others. His years at St. Anthony were wonderful for him and for us as parents. Sister Ruth and all of his teachers have been- and still are - warm and caring individuals who strive to meet the needs of each individual child. I highly recommend St. Anthony of Padua.

Posted August 24, 2009

After attending a highly-rated and nationally-ranked public school, my son transferred to St. Anthony of Padua for the 7th grade. I wish he had attended St. Anthony from kindergarten on. The school provides individual attention to all, not just the special needs or over-acchieving students. The school is diverse; the curriculum is strong; and the teachers and administration responsive and respectful when dealing with students and their families. We strongly recommend it.

Posted April 9, 2009

I've been a parent at SAS for 16 years. My oldest was there for 10 years and my youngest still attends. This is his 7th year. My oldest always scored above avergae on a national scale. When he left, he was well prepared for the challenges that an all boys' Catholic HS presented. My youngest being ADHD, I BELIEVE, has learned behaviors without the use of medications due to the discipline, teaching style of most of the teachers he has had. Students are released early once a week allowing faculty to meet and discuss... I've not always been happy about the outcome of certain issues in 16 years but I cannot deny the school does provide a good education and the foundation for good values. It's up to us to embrace and encourage it.

Posted February 4, 2009

St. Anthony is the pits. Anything past second grade isn't worth the money. The preschool 3 teachers Ms. Terri and Ms. Joy are great as well as Ms. Bajon the second grade teacher. The principal has been there for 41 years and still run the school like time has not changed. Issues are not addressed when bought before administration. The archdiocesan really needs to take a good look at why the school is rapidly loosing students. Administration needs updating and the faculty needs restructuring and should match the student body. The teachers past second grade does not seem to have the best interest of the students in mind. If there isn't a change soon, it will be another catholic parish in New Orleans closing it's doors.

Posted November 11, 2008

The school need 21st century accomadations. The principal is very involved in every way with the school and is terrific. The staff are older and of the same race, which is difficult for the students and parents who are multi-raced. The school has gotten funding for new computers and smart boards, but enrollment is steady decreasing each school year because the school is not as good as it use to be. The 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Bajon is the best!

Posted July 11, 2008

One of the best in New Orleans, with a dedicated and fantastic principal.

Posted June 6, 2007

i love the school its mixed of different races and gives you more time to develop a social life and a learning life to!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 20, 2005

I am a current student at St. Anthony of Padua School. I love this school. Ive been here for 10 years and still have a year to go since I have decided to stay at St. Anthony for 8th grade. The teachers are very nice, and the classroom participation is great. Every student is willing to help another student with problems they may have in school. St. Anthony has alot of extra curricular activities that you can participate in such as band, choir, sports, art, cheerleading, chess club, quiz bowl, and much more. I am blessed to be going to this school. And I hope you consider bringing your child to St. Anthony.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 7, 2004

I am a native New Orlenian who now lives in Houston. My daughter attended St. Anthony of Padua before we moved. If we hadn't moved, she would still be there. The school is a hidden gem in New Orleans. Very few schools have been able to maintain diversity and at the same time, maintain academic intergrity and still be reasonable. I absolutely recommend the school. Many people asked how I was able to get my child in the first time we applied. My daughter loved it too and it was worth every penny. Very organized, caring staff, small personal classes, nice families and mandatory reading time each morning. I was blessed that we found it.

Posted August 20, 2004

Currently, I have two children attending St. Anthony of Padua. My children love the school. The academic program is great and the principle is well respected throughtout the community and amongst high schools. It is a loving and caring school, which have diversity, academics, and an around good program. Everytime I say my children attend St. Anthony, parents stop and want to here more about the school. I have spoken to principles at high schools who have told me that 95% of the students that come from St. Anthony are well prepared for high school and beyond. My only wish is that St. Anthony of Padua could extend their program to 12th grade. When I tell you I love this school, I realy love this school. the teachers, principal, and staff are great. The best decision I every made!

Posted August 22, 2003

This is an excellent school for ethnic diversity. The computer program is exceptional and the extracurricular program is remarkable. One of the cities' best by far.

Two or more races 2% N/A
Asian 1% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (504) 488-5373

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New Orleans

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

4601 Cleveland Avenue