PK-7|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

If you do not belong to the "clique", you are a nobody...just another face in the crowd.

My son left St. Dominic after being accepted to a Catholic middle school in the city. I was astounded to see how far behind he was in comparison to other boys from other schools. There were three boys who made the move and all of them suffered in Math and English. Keep looking...

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

There is such high turnover of teachers because of the principal and upper administration. The students are a year behind most other Catholic schools in the area.

I agree with most of the previous reviews however I look at it from a different angle. YES , THIS SCHOOL DOES REQUIRE PARENT ENVOLMENT AND THAT IS A GOOD THING! There are many opportunities for working and non working parents to get involved. Life is about choices and I believe many of the previous reviews are posted by parents who do not value the time spent at their children's school. Education is a group effort, teachers, administrators, children and parents. If you are looking for a school to RAISE YOUR CHILDREN you are right, this is not the school for you. These children love their school! For those of you who feel like you were never " accepted " maybe that is due more to your actions then theirs. If you don't want to fit it, you won't. Long live Lakeview!

Sub par at best. If you are in the Lakeview clique but not concerned about education this is where you go. The classes are huge and at least a grade level below other schools- something we did not realize until we saw what other kids in private schools were doing- like St. Martin's, Kehoe-France, Newman, St. Paul's. My child always received high marks and it s because the content was easy. Really he was behind other kids his age. Maybe years ago it was a good school but not today.

I attended this school from 2nd to 8th grade and, at 23, I still cringe at the thought of it. If you're not in the click with the other parents, your child will suffer. My parents were divorced and I certainly suffered for it. You won't feel a supportive, compassionate, Christian atmosphere - just Jonathan Edwards-esque tyranny. If you have any concerns, don't bother bringing it up to the principal...unless you enjoy a foul temper. Her screaming is thoroughly ingrained in my memory. The environment is exceedingly stressful and enough to keep even the brightest child from thriving.

This used to be a great school but I am taking my children out for this coming school year. It has lost its edge and has fallen into the "its always been this way" trap. The standardized test scores do not reflect an advanced curriculum. Very few of its students are recognized by the Duke Talent Identification Program. The clickiness is there but I taught my kids to not let those type of things get to them. The problem with the principal not listening to parents' concerns is sooo real. It's basically her way or the highway.As long as you follow along like sheep and don't speak your mind, everything is fine and good. If you try to make any suggestions and she thinks that you may be criticizing her, watch out! Once you're on her list you might as well leave!!

I attended this school over 20 years ago (from 2nd grade until graduation) and am currently looking for schools to send my young son. I will definitely not be sending him to St. Dominic. I agree with some of the other reviews that state the school as being very "clickish". The school community consists of families who are rooted in Lakeview and this is where they send their kids. If you are not in that community, your child will not fit in properly and be accepted either by students or staff. I experienced this first-hand. I lived outside of Lakeview and my parents were definitely outsiders in the community because of it. There were many instances where I was shunned, by both faculty and students because no one knew me or my family. I can recall at least a couple of occasions where other kids were favored because their parents were close friends with faculty. I witnessed it with other kids, as well, who did not live in the area. The bottom line is that if you are looking for a place to send your child, and you are not involved in the Lakeview community, your child is more likely to have problems at this school.

My daughter has been a student at this school for the past 3 years. St. Dominic school has well surpassed my expectations in all areas, including academics, leadership, teacher quality and parent involvement. There has never been a moment in time when I have questioned my decision to send my child to this school. I do beleive that St. Dominic is the best of all catholic schools in the New Orleans area.

This is a great school! Teachers work well with their students. There is always something going on where parents can be involved. I think this is one reason why some parents don't like the school, they don't have the time to be involved. Between family nights and the annual fair, the school offers many oppurtunities to meet and talk with the faculty and the principal. Through her hard work , St Dominic was one of the first schools to reopen after the hurricane. Her loyalty to St Dominic is greatly appreciated.

Last modified St. Dominic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-7