New Orleans, LA

St. Dominic School 2

Posted August 17, 2013
Sub par at best. If you are in the Lakeview clique but not concerned about education this is where you go. The classes are huge and at least a grade level below other schools- something we did not realize until we saw what other kids in private schools were doing- like St. Martin's, Kehoe-France, Newman, St. Paul's. My child always received high marks and it s because the content was easy. Really he was behind other kids his age. Maybe years ago it was a good school but not today.

Posted February 07, 2013
I attended this school from 2nd to 8th grade and, at 23, I still cringe at the thought of it. If you're not in the click with the other parents, your child will suffer. My parents were divorced and I certainly suffered for it. You won't feel a supportive, compassionate, Christian atmosphere - just Jonathan Edwards-esque tyranny. If you have any concerns, don't bother bringing it up to the principal...unless you enjoy a foul temper. Her screaming is thoroughly ingrained in my memory. The environment is exceedingly stressful and enough to keep even the brightest child from thriving.

St. Dominic School 2

Posted November 30, 2011
This used to be a great school but I am taking my children out for this coming school year. It has lost its edge and has fallen into the "its always been this way" trap. The standardized test scores do not reflect an advanced curriculum. Very few of its students are recognized by the Duke Talent Identification Program. The clickiness is there but I taught my kids to not let those type of things get to them. The problem with the principal not listening to parents' concerns is sooo real. It's basically her way or the highway.As long as you follow along like sheep and don't speak your mind, everything is fine and good. If you try to make any suggestions and she thinks that you may be criticizing her, watch out! Once you're on her list you might as well leave!!

Posted March 22, 2011
I attended this school over 20 years ago (from 2nd grade until graduation) and am currently looking for schools to send my young son. I will definitely not be sending him to St. Dominic. I agree with some of the other reviews that state the school as being very "clickish". The school community consists of families who are rooted in Lakeview and this is where they send their kids. If you are not in that community, your child will not fit in properly and be accepted either by students or staff. I experienced this first-hand. I lived outside of Lakeview and my parents were definitely outsiders in the community because of it. There were many instances where I was shunned, by both faculty and students because no one knew me or my family. I can recall at least a couple of occasions where other kids were favored because their parents were close friends with faculty. I witnessed it with other kids, as well, who did not live in the area. The bottom line is that if you are looking for a place to send your child, and you are not involved in the Lakeview community, your child is more likely to have problems at this school.

St. Dominic School 5

Posted October 11, 2010
My daughter has been a student at this school for the past 3 years. St. Dominic school has well surpassed my expectations in all areas, including academics, leadership, teacher quality and parent involvement. There has never been a moment in time when I have questioned my decision to send my child to this school. I do beleive that St. Dominic is the best of all catholic schools in the New Orleans area.

St. Dominic School 0

Posted March 30, 2010
This is a great school! Teachers work well with their students. There is always something going on where parents can be involved. I think this is one reason why some parents don't like the school, they don't have the time to be involved. Between family nights and the annual fair, the school offers many oppurtunities to meet and talk with the faculty and the principal. Through her hard work , St Dominic was one of the first schools to reopen after the hurricane. Her loyalty to St Dominic is greatly appreciated.

Posted March 17, 2010
Very difficult to keep up with. If you are a stay at home mom and have time to be involved this may be a good school for you however, I am a working mom, it s VERY difficult to keep up with the schedule especially every other Thursday early dismissal. Also the principal doesn t follow up with concerns.

Posted March 09, 2010
I was extremely unhappy with St. Dominic and in paricular the principal. I did not agree with all of her policies and related to her that I was unhappy with certain things. She asked me not to come back the next year.

St. Dominic School 5

Posted March 09, 2010
Our son is in his second year at St Dominic and our daughter will attened next year. The staff and teachers are very good and get to know the students. I think the parents that are upset or claim that the shcool is too 'clicky' just do not like the fact that the parents must be involved. If you want the school to teach and raise your child keep looking, but if you want to be part of your childs life stop looking.

St. Dominic School 0

Posted January 26, 2010
This was a tough school to come into. If you re not a part of the community for years and years, you will most likely not fit in, nor will your child. It s a very challenging school, academically and socially. Academically is great, the 'clickeshness' however starts with the parents/teachers and is carried forward by the children. Overall, good school just disappointed with the social aspect.

St. Dominic School