No rating

St. Matthew The Apostle School

Private | PK-8 | 533 students

Living in New Orleans

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $168,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,060.

Posted August 23, 2012

My daughter attended St. Matthew from PreK 4 to 5th grade. She was a straight A/B student from PreK - 4th. Once she went into 5th, about 3 months into school, the problems started. Bulling from packs of mean girls, teachers who did not care, a principle who allows a teacher to roll her eyes and talk condescendingly to my husband and I during a meeting with the two of them to figure out why my daughter was struggling. The lower level teachers are great, but the Math and Spanish classes are lacking severely. Consequently, my daughter's spirit was beat down and she struggled the whole year. It is hard to hear your child explain how the teachers give her dirty looks and treat her poorly the day after I had to call the school for yet another issue (she was not aware of the phone call I made to school, either). She is at a new school and is thriving. The parents are welcoming (not cliquey like SMA) and the students are helpful and welcoming and these teachers, specifically the math teacher, truly care about the children and want to help them succeed. A number of parents pulled their kids out of this school for these same reasons. I do not recommend this school at all.

Posted August 14, 2012

I would not send my child to this school. The math and spanish programs are very poor. I had to teach at home what they should have learned at school. If you have a concern they make it your issue and not the schools. When I removed my children so did many others that had issues (not surprising very similar to mine). My kids now excel at their new school.

Posted July 11, 2011

Thank you to St. Matthew the Apostle School for the great experience that my children had. Our kids say that they hope their children will attend St. Matthew one day.

Posted July 6, 2011

The middle school Social Studies teacher is pathetic. I never in my life came across a teacher that can't handle problem students. The whole class suffers when she gets in one of her moods just because a child was acting up. She stops the teaching and tells the students to pull out the books and read because she can't take it anymore. Same for the current choir teacher. She constantly calls the vice principal because the students are acting out. She has gone as far as telling the class to go play out in the cold because I'm not teaching you. My child has had some awesome teachers with the exception of the above two. And before anyone questions me, my child is a well behaved with great grades. She was never the problem, she just suffered in her learning because of the above teacher's actions. Just want to warn the new middle school parents what they have in store for them when they get in the back building.

Posted October 12, 2010

I have 3 grandchildren there and they love it.

Posted March 16, 2010

I went to SMA since kindegarten through 7th grade. it was wonderful, i made life long friends i know! The teachers are wonderful and put in as much effort as they can to help the students grow!

Posted October 1, 2009

Because my child gets a great education and the faculty and students are like a big family.

Posted May 1, 2009

I have only been here two years, and I love it. I easily made friends, and it was easy to fit in. Everyone was welcoming.

Posted September 17, 2008

As a former teacher at St. Matthew for several years, I have another perspective to share. Thank you to all the parents who notice and appreciate the hard work that has been put into educating your children. The teachers and principal do so much more than you know. The current principal has been fantastic in implementing new technology, improving communication between school and parents, and always challenging us to improve our curriculum and teaching methods. There are always dissatified parents, but I've noticed that those tend to be people who find it easier to just blame the school for whatever problem the child is having. It's not always the school's fault. (And by the way, having parent cliques isn't the school's fault.) I know the numerous hours of work those teachers put in and how they continuously go above and beyond for thier students. Some people simply cannot be pleased.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 6, 2008

There may have been many principals but this one is here to stay. She said at the last home and school meeting that she was offered another 2 year contract. While not all schools are perfect - not all students are either - we are willing to put our faith in this principal and work with her to make it a better school. Only if we work together can it get better.

Posted May 6, 2008

Five different principals within 8 years, poor middle school math program.

Posted April 16, 2008

Family oriented but VERY CLIQUE-ISH. Families with two working parents are often snubbed. The middle school program is less than desireable, the math program has been horrible and administration has been SLOW to react, Unfortunatly my child suffered because of it.

Posted March 30, 2008

I am a student at SMA I am a very proud Crusader not just because of our athletics also because of our academic achievment.

Posted November 9, 2007

As a former student of SMA, I think that this school did an excellent job in preparing me for high school. I feel that I was more than prepared to make the tranistion into high school. I was in all honors classes at SMA, which as one reviewer said encompasses the entire student body (which it certiantly does not becuase the classes are very challenging), and I was in all honors classes in high school. I did not struggle with my classes and I did not go to an easy high school. I atteded Mount Carmel Academy. The education that can be recieved at SMA is an excellent one, if only the student puts out the effort needed.

Posted September 18, 2007

Alot of good things going on at St Matthew. Glad to see such a strong administration and faculty. I am proud to say that my three children attend St Matthew.

Posted September 12, 2007

I also have changed my outlook on St. Matthew. I see that the Principal is making many changes for the better. She truly seems to care for the school and students. Most important is there is not as much written homework as last year. This leaves more time to prepare and study properly for test. My child's brain and will doesn't seem to shut down like last year because she is not cramming in so much work. I do like edline better than the homework site. Much more information! I know school has just started but I do see good changes. Let's keep it up!

Posted September 11, 2007

My attitude had changed about the middle school. I have been afraid that it would be just as terrible as 4th and 5th grade were for my child - but it is just the opposite. They truely care for each child and have been more than supportive by sending constant information home. No more wondering - I know it is a solid program. Thank you!!

Posted August 13, 2007

The community atmosphere of this school is great. My children have shown steady increases in standardized test scores since starting this school. They are receiving the highest degree of care and a top-notch education.

Posted August 6, 2007

Not me! My child was not academically prepared for high school. He had many adjustment problems but was an honor student at St. Matthew like everyone else in the student body!

Posted August 4, 2007

I am glad that our children attended St. Matthew the Apostle School. They had a positive experience and did well in high school.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Dennis Panepinto
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Fax number
  • (504) 738-7985

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New Orleans

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

10021 Jefferson Highway