New Orleans, LA

Posted January 28, 2015
All 4 of my children went to St. Matthew from pre-k all the way through. Every single one of them thrived here, and they were all very different. Each one received an excellent education that allowed them to thrive in high school. They all went on to excel in honors programs thanks to the background St. Matthew provides them. The families at this school are welcoming and genuine. Most of my children's friends' families felt like family to us as well. The teachers genuinely cared about all of our children, and they helped each one get through their own personal struggles. One struggled with math, another with reading, and another spent a lot of time in the counselor dealing with anxiety. All 4 of my children have talked about wanting their children to attend this school, and I would recommend St. Matthew to anyone looking for a family-oriented, wholesome, and educationally sound catholic school. The teachers are amazing, and so is the administration. I love this school.

St. Matthew The Apostle School 1

Posted August 23, 2012
My daughter attended St. Matthew from PreK 4 to 5th grade. She was a straight A/B student from PreK - 4th. Once she went into 5th, about 3 months into school, the problems started. Bulling from packs of mean girls, teachers who did not care, a principle who allows a teacher to roll her eyes and talk condescendingly to my husband and I during a meeting with the two of them to figure out why my daughter was struggling. The lower level teachers are great, but the Math and Spanish classes are lacking severely. Consequently, my daughter's spirit was beat down and she struggled the whole year. It is hard to hear your child explain how the teachers give her dirty looks and treat her poorly the day after I had to call the school for yet another issue (she was not aware of the phone call I made to school, either). She is at a new school and is thriving. The parents are welcoming (not cliquey like SMA) and the students are helpful and welcoming and these teachers, specifically the math teacher, truly care about the children and want to help them succeed. A number of parents pulled their kids out of this school for these same reasons. I do not recommend this school at all.

St. Matthew The Apostle School 1

Posted August 14, 2012
I would not send my child to this school. The math and spanish programs are very poor. I had to teach at home what they should have learned at school. If you have a concern they make it your issue and not the schools. When I removed my children so did many others that had issues (not surprising very similar to mine). My kids now excel at their new school.

Posted July 11, 2011
Thank you to St. Matthew the Apostle School for the great experience that my children had. Our kids say that they hope their children will attend St. Matthew one day.

St. Matthew The Apostle School 3

Posted July 06, 2011
The middle school Social Studies teacher is pathetic. I never in my life came across a teacher that can't handle problem students. The whole class suffers when she gets in one of her moods just because a child was acting up. She stops the teaching and tells the students to pull out the books and read because she can't take it anymore. Same for the current choir teacher. She constantly calls the vice principal because the students are acting out. She has gone as far as telling the class to go play out in the cold because I'm not teaching you. My child has had some awesome teachers with the exception of the above two. And before anyone questions me, my child is a well behaved with great grades. She was never the problem, she just suffered in her learning because of the above teacher's actions. Just want to warn the new middle school parents what they have in store for them when they get in the back building.

Posted October 12, 2010
I have 3 grandchildren there and they love it.

Posted March 16, 2010
I went to SMA since kindegarten through 7th grade. it was wonderful, i made life long friends i know! The teachers are wonderful and put in as much effort as they can to help the students grow!

Posted October 01, 2009
Because my child gets a great education and the faculty and students are like a big family.

Posted May 01, 2009
I have only been here two years, and I love it. I easily made friends, and it was easy to fit in. Everyone was welcoming.

St. Matthew The Apostle School 3

Posted March 31, 2009

St. Matthew The Apostle School
10021 Jefferson Highway, New Orleans, LA  70123
Last modified St. Matthew The Apostle School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St. Matthew The Apostle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top