Bad
Good

Oak Grove is a very good school. Having worked at other schools in the parish, we are very blessed to have the faculty, students and administration that we have. Is there an emphasis on sports? Yes! When over half of the student body is involved in sports, whether it is football (which involves well over 100 boys, jrhigh-varsity & the support groups), baseball, basketball, track, tennis, cheerleading, dance team or pep squad, sports is emphasized greatly. It is a wonderful outlet to help keep these kids busy & give them less opportunities to get in trouble. Are there opportunities for those who choose not to be involved in sports? Yes!! FBLA, FFA, FCCLA, 4H, BETA, literary rally, all who have won awards and are recognized on a regular basis. So we don't have all of the extracurricular activities of a 4 or 5-A school, there are only so many of us to go around to lead these things, and many of us are in charge of more than one group. I am very proud to say that I graduated from OGHS, I teach there, & my children go there. For anyone who wants to complain about the lack of support or lack of activities, my advice is to volunteer to help sponsor an activity & create the support!

I was born and raised in Oak Grove. While the teachers were, in my opinion, very good the curriculum in general was poor. I "think" when others refer to the school revolving around football ( and yes football surely gets more support than the other sports) they mean sports as a whole. There is nothing to offer a student who is not inclined to play sports, except to go route for the home team. Things may have changed, I don't know because I left shortly after graduating. Oak Grove is a wonderful small town no doubt, but the elective curriculum really needs to be adjusted to encourage the interests of all students. Yes, the football team is very successful, but not everyone is going to play in the NFL or coach sports for a living. If I'm not mistaken, we do go to high school for an education and to prepare for college. Shouldn't all students have the same access to the tools that will prepare them for the degree they are interested in obtaining? There are no science clubs (no lab when I attended), no debate clubs, and by the time I got to high school there wasn't even a band .......

Oak Grove is a great place to grow up and grow old. That's about all it has to offer the West Carroll Parish School System is, in fact, one of the better school systems in the state. However, that does not mean it is without faults. Like some people before me that said, "The school only revolves around football." That's not true...there is also baseball and basketball. Specifically speaking about the education system, I don't like it. The teachers are great people. No argument there, they do care. However, caring can only get you so far. The average school day in Oak Grove is we go in, crack the book, read the chapter, answer questions and then take a test. It's good for kids who have no ambition but for those of us who do it's crippling.

One of the poorest districts in the state but consistently outperforms most districts in the state academically.

Oak Grove High School has a negative atmosphere. My children have been to several schools around the state, and Oak Grove is completely obsessed with the football team. If you do not play football, you are denied certain rights and privileges. I cannot stand this quality. Yes, I enjoy football, but this is unreal.

I think that Oak Grove High School is a wonderful school. It always has been and is working on becoming even better. I am proud to say that I went to school there and currently teach there.

i think Oak Grove is a great school with some of the best teachers!they are fare and understanding!

Ok now i disagree with alot that has been said. The whole school doesnt 'revolve' around football. Kids just love the joy of bein hiped up on friday night. Heck we've reached the quaterfinals 11 years in a row.... name another program we have thats made it even twice in a row (other than girls basketball. Go Mrs. coach Mote!). Yeah the teachers can be strict at times but all you gotta do is listen to 'em. And the food is awesome!!!!!!!!!! Let me tell you... here, everybody knows everybody. No one goes unnoticed. I wouldnt rather be anywhere else. Go Oak Grove!!!!!

I moved my kids here to OG 2 years ago & don't regret it. The high school is great with wonderful teachers and staff. The elementary school however is run like a military school. Too strict. Parents have no say whatsoever in their child's education. Maybe that will change once the 'general' retires next year. But my child in elementary is looking forward to high school. They have great sports programs but everyone forgets about the softball. They won district last year with no mention whatsoever. Too much emphasis on the football. Love the new principal. Discipline is first and foremost with him. I don't worry about my kids safety as much now.

I think Oak Grove school is the best in the Northeast part of LA. Here at Oak Grove the teachers may be a little strict, but all for very good reasons. The school has had the some of the highest leap scores of the state. The football team is one of the ways to get teens active, and there are some other ways, such as basketball, baseball, and track. Oak Grove is a grade A+ school. Go Tigers!

Last modified Oak Grove High School is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.