Hazel Park/Hilda Knoff School

Public | PK-5 | 403 students

Posted August 27, 2013

This is my child's first year in school. So far I have been greatly disappointed with the pre-k staffs treatment of students and attitude toward the children and parents! Some are quite aggressive with the children. I've witnessed children being grabbed and pulled very aggressively and even yelled at! How extremely inappropriate and UNEXCEPTABLE to treat children in such a manner especially pre-schoolers! Thankfully my child's teacher is reasonable enough. However she is very passive and aloof when ever I asked something as simple as how my child's first day went I received a very short and vague answer. "Everyone had a good day" then turned around with her back towards me to curt me off completely disengaged and uninterested in taking to me. My fianc has mentioned moving I think I will press the issue to try and get my child to a better school.

Posted June 21, 2011

I went to Hazel Park. It was ok they really didnt pay attention to the students that much. A lot of kids got pick on over there. They took the orchestra out of the school (mainly violins) when I was in the 3rd grade. It's a shame about everything.

Posted June 14, 2010

I've taught in numerous schools in the US as well as abroad. I can confidently say that Hazel Park is one of the best learning environments I have ever been privileged to experience. The teachers are constantly on a quest to improve their practice and truly care about the students they serve. The principal has led the school to some of the highest scores of a regular pubic school in JP. I would send my own child here.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 12, 2010

I am extremely disappointed with this school.My child has been an honor roll student since K5 and in 1st and 2nd grade she went to christian school where the trend continued.She attended Hazel Park for the 1st time in 3rd grade and was accused of threatning another student-teacher did not hear this it was told to her by the other child who never liked my child. It was later dismissed. Now she is in 4th grade and it has been a year of hell since school started.That ridiculous tracker imposed by the principal has good kids getting detentions for forgetting books in their cubbies. The response is they need to learn responsibility. My child was also forced into signing a confession to an offense that she didn't even comitt,because she was scared to get a detention. After having a meeting with the principle the teacher changed her story.I

Posted April 25, 2010

Hazel Park Elementary is such a rewarding and enriching school for my two sons, one of whom has a 504 plan due to his ADHD. The principal is hard working and the teachers are very involved and willing to help in my experience.

Posted May 31, 2005

Both my girls have went to HP. since Kindergarten. They each have had quality teachers who teach values as well as lessons. Of course each child is so different from each other where one excels in one area the other excels in another area and the school seems to balance it out so the child is well rounded. If you are moving into this area then I would strongly recommend Hazel Park for your K-5th. grader. The only downside of this school is the lack of parent involvement. I don't know what it would take for more parents to get involved with their child's education. We have PTO meetings with the children performing and that seems to be the only time parents come to the school. I would imagine other schools all over have this same problem. Our principal is truly a leader that has a heart of a mom.

Posted May 1, 2004

My two sons both attended HPHK from Pre-K through 5th grade, with 7 years between. Both boys had excellent experiences there. If exceptional ability exists in a student, it is identified early on, giving the child an opportunity to experience a gifted and/or talented learning environment. HPHK's current principal (Mrs. Karen Bucher) is dedicated, fair, and readily available for communication with parents. There were many teachers still employed there who taught me years ago, and were still there to teach my children. I highly recommend HPHK. It is a safe, secure and enriching school.

Posted November 12, 2003

Hazel Park/Hilda Knoff is a terrific school. The principal as well as the teachers are wonderful. The school has a good structured environment. It is now being renovated with new hallway floors and ceilings. The office is being redone and expanded. The bathrooms were renovated last year. The school has a lot of great qualities. The PTO is strong and there are extra cirricular activities for the children. There is high recgonition for good grades and good conduct every nine weeks. My daughter, now in 5th grade has a folder full of certificates from HP going back to kindergarten. My son is just starting his journey through HP and I'm proud that he will be there through 5th grade.

Posted November 11, 2003

As parents of 2 young daughters I am proud to say this school is a part of their childhood and learning experience. The teachers as well as the principal thrive to excel each student to achieve the best possible education their little minds can handle. We chose this school over our local school due to the educational challenges this school provides. This school gets an A+ in my book.

Posted November 11, 2003

I am satisfied that my grandchildren are getting a quality academic education, and proud of my kids for providing supervised activities away from school after they have done their homework!

Posted November 9, 2003

My older son, age 13 and currently in the eighth grade, attended Hazel Park-Hilda Knoff school from Kindergarten through the fifth grade. My younger son, age 8, is currently in the third grade there, and has also attended Hazel Park since Kindergarten. I think this is a great school, and I am very pleased with the education that my children have received there. We are so fortunate to have such a wonderful faculty and staff, as well as a great group of parents who volunteer their time in and around the school and do so much for the school. My children have both had nothing but positive experiences here. My son looks forward to going to school every day.

Posted May 27, 2003

My daughter attended this school during her second grade year. I was extremely dissappointed. There were no extracurricular activites, the library was poorly stocked and the overall appeareance was uninviting. My daughter made straight 'A's' and there was absolutly no recognition program for her hard work. Because of this schools performance, our family moved back to Dallas.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 75%N/A67%

• Meredith Lagasse
Fax number
  • (504) 738-9153

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now