No rating

St. Mark's Cathedral School

Private | PK-8

Living in Shreveport

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $95,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Sweep tile

Posted November 5, 2013

Terrific character development, as well as superior preparation for high school -- best decision we made as parents

Posted September 27, 2012

I agree with the last poster, get your child out before middle school. Unfortunately the 6th grade math teacher teaches other subjects as well (poorly). As for the math confusion, parents complained but the principal does nothing. The problem here is leadership. It is so hard to move a child who is already in a middle school with friends. This is our last year and I cannot wait to get out.

Posted September 19, 2012

The quality at this school really falls off once the children reach middle school. For the amount ot money it costs the 6th grade math teacher should know the difference between a numerator and a denominator. Some of the middle school teacher can become hostel if you have questions or problems. There are good middle school teachers at St. Marks, but the bad ones can really taint the way you feel about your child's school. Although I was happy with this school when my child was in elementary I am very unhappy with middle school, it is definately NOT WORTH THE MONEY.

Posted February 10, 2011

I have been most impressed with the personal attention the teachers and staff at St. Mark's give my children in order to meet their individual styles of learning. My younger child's teachers make the material come alive in a way that helps him maintain focus and enjoy learning. My older child benefits from teachers who design challenging enrichment activities that help him achieve his academic goals.

Posted January 20, 2011

St. Mark's offers a great loving Christian environment. We are overjoyed that we finally found St. Mark's. It has excellent academics, true Christian values, and an overwhelmingly positive attitude by all staff and children. We only wish we had become part of St. Mark's sooner!

Posted October 7, 2010

My son is in the White House (preschool department) and absolutely loves it! I couldn't be more pleased! We visited every private school in Shreveport that offered Pre-K to 8th grade as we plan to stay there until then and St. Mark's was by far the best overall! In every aspect!

Posted February 18, 2009

What an outstanding place to raise children! The small class size allows the teachers to get to know each student on an individual basis. The strong academics coupled with a Christian environment produce well-rounded students who become upstanding citizens in our community.

Posted February 18, 2009

We have been part of St. mark's for 11 years. Both of my children have thrived in the small but very academic setting. Their teachers know them and their academic needs and have communicated those to us throughout their journey. They have all been highly qualified & experienced. Great teacher/parent communication. Plenty of opportunities to get involved in as a parent. They attend chapel twice a week , have been involved in a religion class each year, and various community volunteer projects throughout their school careers. We really like the idea of teaching the children that they are part of a larger communtity and responsible to that community. All schools experience some change but our academics and sense of community have never waivered. We have always felt very confident in our decision to attend St. Mark's. It is definately worth it!

Posted December 15, 2007

Our children have thrived in the small, Christian atmosphere of St. Mark's School. The class size is very small and my wife and like knowing every single family in our child's class. Our teachers have been very experienced, many of them having taught for decades. I enjoy attending chapel with my child every week, as do many of the parents. Parent involvement is superior and our children are thriving there. If my child has an issue, I can e-mail his teacher and she is all over it the same day. I can call her on her cell phone whenever I need to. There is also a huge emphasis on community service, teaching the children their obligation to give back to the community. We could not be happier at St. Mark's.

Posted November 20, 2007

5 headmasters in 6 years - new teachers in every grade - a family has little continuity to count on - My family had been there for 7 years also and left to find more peaceful and honest schools outside the cathedral gates. Chapel is a tradition, yet Christianity is unevenly lived out. We found that the school is just attached to the church geographically, not spiritually.

Posted June 21, 2005

Our family has been at St. Mark's for the past seven years and I feel so blessed that we have been a part of the 'St. Mark's family'. Every teacher my child has had has been an experienced, highly-qualified teacher. For example, both of my children were fluent readers by kindergarten--not just slowly sounding out words, but fluent, confident readers. I also really like the small size of the school(375 in grades K-8) and the small class sizes (14 children in my daughter's class and 11 in my son's class). They try to keep the class sizes at 18 tops, but most are smaller. The children also receive foreign language training on a daily basis starting in kindergarten. One of my favorite aspects of the school is the Christian education and the twice-weekly chapel services. It's worth the tuition just for that! Plus, we LOVE our new principal! She's the best!

Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 1% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Episcopal
Associations
  • NAES

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

908 Rutherford St