No rating

Calvary Baptist Academy

Private | K-12 | 1056 students

Living in Shreveport

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $225,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $690.

Posted February 14, 2006

Both of my children began their education at CBA in kindergarten. When my daughter was ready for high school, CBA's highest grade was 8th, so she went to a local magnet high school and has done well. When my son was ready for high school, he chose to follow his sister to the high school that she was attending. During his 8th week at the public high school, he was 'pranked' by some neighborhood children in a locker room. We didn't feel like the public high school could provide the safety net that we had grown to know at CBA. We knew for a fact that the public school could and would not provide the Christ-like atmosphere that CBA can. We promptly removed our son from the public school and returned him to CBA (from where we intend him to graduate). We will never regret this move.

Posted December 7, 2005

My older daughter started Calvary in kindergarten and is now in the sixth grade. My younger daughter started in K-4 and is now in the fourth grade. As I am writing this review my sixth grader is explaining to me why I should use 'older' and 'younger' instead of 'oldest' and 'youngest'. When my older daughter was in the fourth grade I asked her to take the LEAP test even though it is not required in private schools. I simply wanted to know how Calvary was preparing her for the future. The school provides the test for all students who choose to take it. With only two days notice and no special studying (the public schools study for months for this test) she scored extremely high in all catagories. I have all confidence my younger daughter will do the same, thanks to Calvary.

Posted July 13, 2005

I would not have my son enrolled in any other school. Private school may costs financially, whereas public schools do not. But in the long run you will pay for it in education. It's something to think about. My son just graduated from Kindergarten and on his SAT Score is at a 2nd & 3rd Grade Level in most areas. His education backed with religious strengthening and discipline in his mannerisms is top priority to me and that is what Calvary Baptist Academy offers.

Posted April 18, 2005

Calvary does not require students to take the LEAP test. They only suggest that students going to public school for the next year take it. It would be hard to compare test scores to other schools that require students take the LEAP.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 15, 2005

My child attended CBA for 8 years. Good environment but weak in academics. Memory based curriculum did not allow for high level thinking skill and application of concepts. These are important tools for all standardized test in preparing for college. Would love to know how CBA students score on LEAP and ACT.

Posted March 4, 2005

When I drop my daughter off each morning, I can drive away from the school feeling comfortable knowing she is in good hands and cared for. My husband and I very pleased with CBA.

Posted November 28, 2004

The principal leadership at this school is the best i have ever seen. The principal is very involved in the school and the lives of the children. He is always visible and available to students and parents. He also has an extensive resume with much experience, that you can view on the website. The academics and teacher quality are excellent. There are many extracirricular activities offered with excellent coaching staff. Parental involvement is growing.

Posted October 23, 2004

Relocating to Shreveport from Baton Rouge I needed to find a school where my son could live up to his potential. Caddo public schools did not have the quality teachers or administration. Now in our second year I am so happy that my son will graduate from Calvary in 7 years. The sports and extra-curricular activities at Calvary are second to none. My wife,son,and I are thrilled to be a part of Calvary Church and school. Pastor Rick is wonderful. The school is run by Godly men and women who love each and every one of the students and staff. Thanks to Calvary and the staff for teaching Jon. I hope one person who may read this sends their child to calvary you won't be disappointed.

Posted May 7, 2004

My child started preschool at Calvary and has been there ever since. It is a wonderful christian school where your child can learn values and learn how to respect others. This was the best decision we ever made regarding our child. The whole staff at Calvary Baptist Academy are wonderful, God-loving people and they really care about the children that attend school there. We have had to make sacrifices to allow him to attend school at Calvary but it has been well worth it to see the type of person he has become over the past nine years. If you have the opportunity for your child to go to Calvary it would be the best thing for them.

Posted April 25, 2004

I have several children attending this wonderful school. I feel very blessed that my children are receiving a great christian education. If you are looking for a school that will challenge your children academically and spiritually, then you have found it!

Posted September 15, 2003

Curriculum is the program. The children are 'pushed' to acheive great goals along with biblical teaching and prair memorization. Goals are great but children grasp all the information. Example. In pre-K, they learn to read small words. Kindergarden they read bigger words and do math. 1st grade they learn cursive writing . Results are greatly noticed.

Posted September 9, 2003

my 16 year old went to calvary 1st thru 5th grade learned alot now my 6 year old is there,it's a good school and safe.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • SBACS
Fax number
  • (318) 687-4925

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious