Arthur Circle Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted August 5, 2013

My son has been in Arthur Circle from Pre-K to 1st grade and we have loved it! Ms. Crank in Pre-K is an Amazing Teacher, one of the Best. The Principle is always available, very supportive of the kids, and seen at every event. We have had no major issues, and I would not consider another school for my child. We are very happy there, and he is super excited to start school. When a child cant wait to go back to their school, you know you've picked the right one. :)

Posted August 2, 2013

Okay, we have a principal. Administrators: Please consider some steps that will help our school: 1. Have some extracurricular activities! I know the focus on learning is important, but activities can improve morale and increase families' investment in and support of the the school. Not all kids can make straight A's; let them celebrate other accomplishments! I can't believe that there's no one in the entire school willing to help with some type of activity; maybe someone would, if he/she had support from administrators and parents. If we can't have extracurriculars, at the very least, promote the activities in the community so that the kids at our school could participate together- SPAR, CABOSA, YMCA, Querbes Tennis, Scouts- talk to folks at other neighborhood schools in our area for ideas,or get on their websites! 2. Update and USE the website. This is 2013; let's make it functional and informative! 3. Invite us in on an oingoing basis, beyond the intiial paper that comes home the first week of school asking for room mothers, etc. I don't have much in the way of time or talent, but I'd be glad to help do something, if I felt that my participation was needed and wanted.

Posted July 10, 2013

The parents are eager to see who the next principal/leader will be. We are eager to get started working at Arthur Circle but there is no direction. The parents have not been contacted or asked about their input on the new leadership. We all are praying for a strong dedicated leader.

Posted June 17, 2013

AC was once a high performing neighborhood school. The current leadership has been poor at best. The parents want a new entire administrative team. Parents are eager to work but we don't feel welcome now. It takes parents to move the school in a positive direction. I am pleading to the Caddo School Board to bring in new leadership since the former principal has retired. We want to claim our wonderful school back so we can fully support our teachers. Please post comments and may be Caddo will listen to our plea and cries for help.

Posted November 3, 2011

We have been at Arthur Circle since the 2003-2004 school year. With one glaring exception (all schools have those), my children's teachers have been at least acceptable to good, and several have been outstanding. Positive trends that I have observed: 1. The current principal is more approachable and visible around the school compared to the former principal; 2. Improved technology thanks to the PTA's efforts. Negative trends: 1. Decline of extracurriculars. For example, running club is no more. After the former coordinators took a well-earned break, it appears that no other faculty/staff would take it on. 4H? gone. Cheerleading: Do-it-yourself. School "teams" through local sports organizations? Can't get them to even distribute information. 2. Standarized test scores are the very highest priority; I can't even name a close second. 3. Fewer hands-on learning activities overall, especially in science (probably related to #2). 4. Increase in pot-stirring, griping parents (does not apply to all you wonderful ones), or maybe I'm just getting older and less tolerant.

Posted May 20, 2011

Not a good School. I have two kids that were "A" students befor they came to Auther Circle. The Teachers Do Not Care about their Students learnings and Progress! My kids are very detached from their teachers & school. Vey disappointed...

Posted April 18, 2011

This school has lost too much since the creation of magnets which caused busing of too many out-of-neighborhood children. The test scores and scores on all levels have gone down considerably because of this action. Do not even know the legality of such a move that lowes a first class school to such a level no one would want to send their child there unless they had to. Also devaluates the surrounding homes in the neighborhood because of the quality of schooling.

Posted March 21, 2011

It is very sad that the prinicipal let's the lunch lady run over him like that. I feel like if we had a good principal who would stand up to her and her cronies that this would be a better school. I wish I had a choice of another school, I complained last year and the office people have been mean to me ever since. My son is in tutoring because the teacher's won't help him learn, they just teach for the leap test.

Posted March 18, 2011

This school is in its fourth year of declining test score numbers. The school administration is lackluster at best.The school has been on the decline for various reasons, primarily the lack of strong leadership on the part of the principal and the instructional coordinators. Parental involvement is at an all-time low due to the staff's ineffectual attitude. There are a few standout teachers in the school, but the prevalence of the aforementioned 'middle-school cliques' prevents them from making headway. The lunchroom monitor carouses about as if she is the vice principal. Our 4th and 3rd graders will not attend this school next year; we are moving OUT of this school attendance zone, so poor is the performance of this school. Follow the other posters' advice: buy a home within Riverside, University, or AC Steere district boundaries if you want a halfway decent education for your children and are concerned for their safety and upbringing.

Posted February 28, 2011

Arthur Circle is quickly becoming a no-way-is-my-kid-going-there school among Shreveporters. If you are new to the area buy a house in AC Steer or Riverside, the only two non-magnet Shreveport public schools that are decent. Principal is too weak to properly reign in the insane cliches. Teachers and staff behave as if they were middle school girls, gossiping and talking behind parents back. There are some decent teachers, but there are also some horrible ones, don't take your chance, just go somewhere else.

Posted January 7, 2011

Avoid Arthur Circle if possible. The quality has declined. Teachers and administrators are unresponsive to parent concerns.

Posted June 4, 2010

I have had two children attend Arthur Circle and I think the teachers are wonderful and caring, especially the lower elementary teachers. I just wish they had more playground equipment.

Posted May 9, 2010

We have a son who is about to finish his first year at A.C.. We moved from out of state and have appreciated the efforts that teachers and staff have made to make our son feel welcome. The teachers are warm and supportive, and it provides the encouraging learning atmosphere that all elementary kids need. We give this school two thumbs up for learning culture, quality of teaching, and overall experience provided to our son.

Posted April 12, 2010

I am the parent of a 3rd grader, and we recently moved to Shreveport to get away from the Bossier school system. Our welcoming into Arthur Circle has been warm and caring, and we transitioned seamlessly.

Posted March 16, 2009

I love the warm friendly atmosphere. The classrooms are small, the teachers are warm, sincere and very attentive to the indiviual needs of each child.

Posted August 25, 2008

I have had a child at AC now for 3 years. I think the lower elem. is great... I have no experence with the upper, so I can not comment on that, but the ECE program and the kindergarden has been wonderful.. AC has a lot to offer. Bottom line, as with any school parent support and involvement makes all the difference.

Posted August 17, 2008

We are so disappointed in the school. We had high expectations and have not found any thing to base them on. Teachers are not interested in the children and the principal and counselor are only interested in their careers. We will not return but borrow and beg to go to private schools.

Posted April 15, 2007

There are a few GREAT teachers still at this school but the overall administration, beginning with the School Board will be the downfall of Arthur Circle. We have loved our teacher this year but will be looking to go elsewhere next year. I feel that the focus is no longer on students and learning but on the 'test'. It is really sad that these kids are the future, yet Arthur Circle has taken all the fun out of learning. Teachers have so much paperwork that they are told to just shut the door to get it done. I think that the average rating was a little to high for this deteriorating school.

Posted June 13, 2006

I find it odd that the person whose grandchild has been out of the school for two years can have a place to comment on the Arthur circle of today. As of now this school is failing students across the board. I have three students in different grades and each grade has the same problem- a cold indifferent principle, unprepared and unmotivated teachers, sporadic academic motivativation. The school failed all of my children in different areas. This will result in us doing everything in our power to go to another school. And as for the comment on extra activities, that is a complete joke. Parents had to start their own because the school had none and did not want them. We are so disappointed with this school. They cannot even do the basics- like keep track of the students. We will go to another school in self defense.

Posted June 8, 2006

I have two children that attend Arthur Circle Elementary. My son attended Arthur Circle starting in ECE and has just completed 5th Grade. The education that he received at Arthur Circle was outstanding. He will now attend Middle Magnet in the Fall. He had caring teachers throughout his elementary career. My daughter attended ECE and will be in K-5 this fall. She loves Arthur Circle. I know that the next 6 years at Arthur Circle will be great!!!!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 66%N/A67%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

261 Arthur Avenue