C.E. Byrd High School

Public | 9-12 | 1884 students

Posted March 11, 2014

I'm a junior here at the hive and I can honestly say I'm glad I didn't go to a different school. This school is amazing and fun. We have amazing school spirit that other schools, parents, and students notice. The teachers are very nice and understanding with the exception of one or two. But that's every school. There are cliques but they don't only socialize with their group of friends, they talk to everyone. My first day of freshman year, the top jackets were extremely helpful in helping me get to class. The school is humongous and all of shreveport knows our name. It feels great to be apart of an awesome school like C.E.Byrd.

Posted March 2, 2014

I've been at Byrd for about three months and I absolutely hate it. Most of the office staff are unnecessarily rude and they act like adult bullies. The building is ninety years old and you can't go one day without smelling mold or seeing a roach. On Friday I saw an actual rat. Some students fight regularly and others just don't care about school and come without even a pencil. Some teachers are literally just there for a paycheck or to find something wrong with you so that you can get a detention. The magnet program is... Better but even some of the students there don't care at all.

Posted July 30, 2013

It's really a great school! I'm a student by the way. Yeah cliques are pretty well acknowledged at our school but there is a perfect clique for everyone! And I don't agree with the idea that the administration treats the 'great' athletes with more respect or that they have more perks because of their athletic abilities. That's nonsense. I'm on the freaking bowling team and I'm treated as well as the captain of the football team. The teachers are not biased in that department whatsoever. The teachers are very focused on the academic success of their students and I truly believe they wish the best of us in every way. There are clubs that meet nearly everyone's interests, from nature club to chess club! I have to say my favorite part about Byrd is simply the school pride. There isn't another school for miles that can compare to our school pride and the other schools will agree. It's simply amazing.

Posted April 18, 2012

I'm the parent of a child at this school and was wondering if anyone has had trouble with any of the office staff. I have nothing but praise for most everyone at the school, from teachers to custodians but I wonder if anyone gets a glimpse of the attitude problem of a few of the office staff as I do.

Posted November 10, 2011

Academics: Great Athletics: Great Arts: Okay. Extracurriculars: Wide variety. Classes: Wide variety. People: Depends. Byrd is a great high school, however, if you are in anyway different from everyone else at that school. You are not accepted. The school is very snobby, the school has many cliques and many rich people who focus on image and material possessions more than anything. People there are very judgmental. The athletic people are favored by the principal, the teachers, the students, etc. The artistic people are given a pat on the back. The richer you are, and nicer you dress, the more friends you will have. If you're a highstepper or football player, you are greatly favored. Not to point fingers, but a few of the highsteppers are completely inconsiderate of others. They think we should treat them like gods, it is ridiculous. If I could get along with some of the people there, I would not be transferring. However, the school feels like a social contest, and it is terrible. If you are interested in the arts, want lots of classes, don't particularly care for most sports, and dislike cliques, I suggest you should go to CMH.

Posted August 2, 2011

This school has a ton of excellent academic background and a great many years of hard work and success by students. Byrd has the most successful students coming out of it than the other schools in Shreveport. It focuses on medical sciences and math and gives a great high school experience to the students. Many generations of my family has attended C.E. Byrd and it has an amazing amount of tradition in Shreveport.

Posted June 28, 2011

C.E. Byrd has given me a great sense of High School and a great many friends. Having the best teachers is a great thing too. I hope my little brother has the same experience that i have had

Posted January 9, 2011

C.E. Byrd has changed my life. I'm a student there at the City (Which we commonly call it because it is the biggest high school in North Louisiana) and I love it. It makes me so proud to see a "Jacket Pride City Wide" bumper sticker on a car. It makes my day when someone talks about the C.E. Byrd Yellow Jackets. We are the best. That may sound really conceited, but the teachers build us to believe that we can do anything. And we can. Byrd is VERY traditional. Pride, tradition and spirit is our motto. We inspire pride in every student. As a magnet student, I'm very prepared for college. I received a 34 on my ACT. This school is the most balanced in Shreveport because not only do we have more magnet students and better test scores than the so called "best" high school Caddo Parish Magnet High School, we have AWESOME athletics. Including Football, Lacrosse (boys and girls), Soccer (boys and girls), Baseball, Softball, Basketball (boys and girls), Three cheerleading teams, and an award winning danceline. And since Byrd is so big, there is something for EVERYONE. With over 80 clubs, C.E. Byrd has a place where every student can fit in. C.E. Byrdddddd!

Posted March 6, 2010

The administration at this school focuses on mainly the 'great' athletes, and gives them the most attention. I feel there are 'favorites' at this school, and not everyone is treated the same. I don't feel as important. Most of the teachers are great, and the school offers a lot of classes. That is the only thing I really like about this school. There are a lot of snobby people at Byrd too. I wish everyone was treated the same.

Posted November 11, 2009

Byrd focuses well on academics and athletics with a halfhearted nod towards the arts. Lots of wasted money on ineffectual repair work to dilapidated buildings and little or no concern for bathroom hygiene. Lot's of sagging, violence and 'touching'. Seniority trumps talent and the lack of support for the arts limits the potential for a true classical education. Principal with poor people skills quashes original thought and initiative among students and teachers. Long on hype, short on substance. Lots of spirit from kids who don't know any better. Bad neighborhood influence unchecked by administration. Wouldn't rate well at all in more progressive states.

Posted February 23, 2009

I am a 2005 graduate of Byrd's magnet program, and there's a very large sense of tradition and pride in the 80+ year old school and you feel proud to have attended it. However, the school is lacking in a lot of non-academic areas that are just as important. The music and arts department has been on a major decline for the last several years, and the highly decorated JROTC program is only a shadow of its former self. Also, I could feel the sense of pride and the great atmosphere fading from my freshman year to my senior year; a lot of that I think had to do with the administration. So overall, great school for academics and tradition, but not much else. If your child plays a musical instrument, dances or is an artist of any kind, Byrd might not be the best choice.

Posted February 22, 2009

C.E. Byrd is an amazing school! There are so many extracurricular activities and they take education very seriously. The school also has a magnet program for kids who would like to take honors classes. This school is definitely recommended for your child to go to.

Posted January 7, 2009

I loved this school. It has great extracurricular activities and great people. Going to Byrd knowing nobody their, I very quickly made friends and loved the school within my first month. Byrd is a grat school with an awesome magnet program.

Posted December 11, 2008

The addition of the magnet program has improved the schools athletic, but it still appears that half of the school is still behind in academics.

Posted October 18, 2008

I graduate BYRD in 2009 and i have to say the past three years that i have been a Yellow Jacket have been absolutely great..Being in the hive at football games, especally against our rival Captain Shrev is probably the most fun you could ever have. You scream your head off until you cannot talk. You will make friends that you will always remember.. The teachers are also teh best to. With having the largest alumi in teh country, the school is well kept and is safe.. I am glad that I chose to go to BYRD and no where else.. This has been the best high school to go to, and after i graduate i will really miss all of the fun!!!!

Posted October 8, 2008

I graduated from byrd. Class of 2004 and i don't think that any other school would have given me as much pleasure and joy as byrd. Go jackets!

Posted October 8, 2008

I have only been at Byrd for a little less than two months, but I'm already loving it. The school spirit is amazing. Also, the academics are incredible. Teachers and the whole student body are great. So far, I have no complaints. After I graduate in 2012, I will come back to this site and post about how much I enjoyed my four years there. If two months have been this great, I am looking forward to the rest of my life there.

Posted August 19, 2008

I graduated from Byrd in May 2008. I loved Byrd and I'm really glad I made the decision to go there. Byrd has the best school spirit in town along with the greatest teachers! If I could do those years over again I most definately would! Byrd prepared me for college. The school spirit is like no other in Shreveport. I am so proud to have graduated for there. Byrd is by far the best ever!

Posted June 15, 2008

Byrd has it all! Outstanding academics, amazing school spirit, opportunities and encouragement for community service, 22 sports, huge alumni and parent support, and an administration that supports the school 24/7. Both my sons have attended Byrd. One is an undergraduate student in Texas, doing research in Alzheimer's. The other son is still at Byrd, and plans a career in Science. The 'City of Byrd' has prepared them well both academically and socially to be great citizens.

Posted April 21, 2008

I am a parent whose 4 children have attended Byrd. I have been extremely satisfied with the entire experience here starting with the administration, teacher quality, tradition and student body. Gateway English and Math classes have 5-10 students per teacher. No other school in La. has as many AP classes. This is the benefit you get when there is a large student body. 8th graders from small private schools end up adjusting very well--2 recently have become student body president. If you want to take correspondance PE to become Valedictorian, wear green hair to get noticed, or you can't get into the magnet program, this is probably not the school for you. If you are an active parent, welcome to the City of Byrd.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

608 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

611 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 36%N/A67%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

• Gerald Badgley
Fax number
  • (318) 869-2253

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options