Fair Park College Prep High School

Public | 7-12 | 1074 students

Posted August 12, 2014

Parent involvement is a joke. The students are disrespectful and wanna be thugs. I understand that the community around this school is poor, but shouldn't you want better for your kids? Shouldn't you want to get out of the neighborhood? The teachers can't handle their classes because of all the rules in place . This school needs to be taken over and handled military style. Act up, and you get punished, none of this time out stuff. The teachers aren't miracle workers. If parents can't teach respect at home, then there is no hope for the teachers being able to teach them anything.

Posted September 5, 2013

This school makes Detroit school's look like 5 star schools. You have teachers swearing at students, uniforms are a must but they cover them up and look like dealers, no one has control over the kids, and those that want to learn can't because of the other students. My favorite is the teachers texting and playing on their phones.

Posted August 1, 2013

This is a good school. There are tremendous changes going on! Good things! The school has a bad reputation of student behavior. I did see this when I first came to this school, but by the end of the year I saw good changes. Things are looking up for FPH!

Posted March 23, 2012

I GRADUATED FROM FAIR PARK BACK IN 1994, AND I HAVE A DAUGTER ENROLLED THERE NOW, I STATED THIS TO SAY WHEN I WALKED INTO FAIR PARK IT DID NOT EVEN LOOK LIKE THE SCHOOL I HAD GRADUATED FROM. SCHOOL PRIDE IS NO LONGER THERE,DISCIPLINE IS OUT THE WINDOW AND CARING TEACHERS ARE VERY FEW IN NUMBERS. I WANTED TO SCEAM WHAT HAPPENED!!!!!!! NOW THEY ARE NOT EVEN ALOUD TO BRING BOOKS HOME SO HOW IN THE WORLD ARE THE KIDS SUPPOSE TO STUDY AND HOW ARE THE PARENTS SUPPOSE TO PICTH IN WITH THEIR STUDIES. WHEN I WENT TO THE SCHOOL BECAUSE MY DAUGHTER HAD A PROBLEM BECAUSE WITH THE LOCK OUT THING THEY NOW DO. I WENT TO THE SCHOOL THE VERY NEXT DAY TO EXCUSE HER BECUSE WE WERE RUNNING LATE THAT DAY THE FIRST THING THE SO- CALLED ASSISANT PRINCIPAL DIDI WAS PULL UP HER DISCIPLINARY REPORT I KNOW THAT ALREADY SHE HAS NEVER GOTTEN INTO ANY TROUBLE THROUGH OUT HER SCHOOL CAREER. FIRST OF ALL I SAT IN THE OFFICE AN HOUR AND A HALF BEFORE HE EVEN RESPONDED TO THE FACT I WAS THERE TO SEE HIM AND THEN HE WAS NO HELP AT ALL. WHEN THE JOB BELONGED TO MR. COOPER IT WAS A DIFFERENT BALL GAME. PARENTS WE NEED TO BUKLE DOWN AND DO SOMETHING OUR KIDS LIVES DEPEND ON IT.

Posted May 19, 2011

Fair Park is one of the worst school in the nation that I have had the opportunity to be around and view for myself. The main problem is the administrative assistant, Kaylan Washington, who is not good for students at all. He support and take up for the students when they are wrong. He creates problems for the teachers, and he disrespects the teachers in front of the students. The principal, Jerry Davis, only supports Kaylan Washington because they are long time friends. Kaylan Washing can not discipline the students because he is a long time acoholic that is often seen by the students in the boot legger house. Jerry Davis has absolutely no discipline. He ran Huntington High School down to the lowest academics possible. Now he is given the opportunity to do the same to Fair Park High School. They are not working for the best interest of the students.

Posted April 29, 2008

Well since I have had the pleasure to vist this school a lot. I think the staff is doing a very good job. And its been a good school for my two sons to attend.

Posted June 26, 2007

I attended Fair Park going on four years now. I believe that Fair Park is a good school. I know everyone thinking Fair Park is a bad school but, it not. The kids can make the school look bad how they act. Some Fair Park students graduated top of the class the pass year, Fair Park came a long way then they was before. We have the best basketball and band in the state better then the other high schools. We have good programs for all grades to prepare for college. The teachers show me leadership and quality. I am president of student council about 4yrs,National Honor Society about 3yrs.and top of my class. People can't judge us about our test scores .Teachers try their best to help them the best they can but, students have to try and learn too. mm, student

Posted April 27, 2007

I attended Fair Park High School and while I was there, I saw that the teachers really do care about the students. They help as much as they can and they help us prepare for the real world. This is a great school to be at especially if you are struggling because the teachers help you learn the academics.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 8, 2007

I'm am an student at Fairpark and I have to say this is an great school to be at. All the teachers I have had here do there best to make sure we become something good in life. And because I also play in the band it helps more people see what good is coming from Fair Park. In May of 2007 this will be may last year of high school. And I can say Fair Park has help me a lot.

Posted May 16, 2006

My daughter attended fair park's medical career magnet program for 4 years. She never had any problems with students or any safey issues. I was apprehensive in the beginning, but soon realized that my daughter was being challeged in the areas of math and science. Considering limited resources and funding, the teachers went the extra mile in preparing my daughter for college. She is now a junior biology major with a minor in chemistry. She's been on the dean's list since being in college. People can say what they want about fair park, but there are many positives there. I think the medical career magnet program fails to receive the recognition it deserves.

Posted October 12, 2005

The quality of the academic programs at Fair Park are good; not the best, but good since this school has been through a lot mainly from its position in area. Students who come here do not always come from quality schools and homes. I am a recent graduate from this school and it was an amasing esperience and I would not have changed it for the word. I was not only on honor roll but also the pricipals list. At this school I believe their is a great need for parent involvement. The parents and outside supporters show up for the games more than they show up for needed educational and financial support. The parents and outside 'supporters' are so winny they complain about everything but never do anything to help( what's up with that).

Posted June 20, 2005

Some teachers are really good teachers, however we are currently losing them due to student count drops. However, extra curriculum activities such as the band, ROTC department, and basketball team are highly supported by the student body, staff, and surrounding community. The leadership of the principal, staff, and security gaurds are also highly up-lifted among the students. Despite the schools lack of students the learning process still takes place and everyday I've been there has been interesting and nothing less then great.

Posted March 7, 2005

I'm a student at Fair Park and I feel that the experience I've gained by attending Fair Park is just as good as I could get at Byrd or Captain Shreve. I'm an intelligent young lady and I feel that 75% of the students at Fair Park don't put foward an effort to help the teachers help them. We have tutoring every Tueaday and Thursday no one shows up, yet everyone complains. There is no reason for the student to blame the teacher and say she/he isin't teaching them this or that, it is the fact that you're not learning, ask not what Fair Park can do for you, what can you do for Fair Park. I say if you don't try and help us, why complain about our academic performances. There are plenty solutions, just think about it. Become a part of a new beginning, I know I have.

Posted February 28, 2005

I am not a parent but, a teacher here at Fair Park High School. Our school is not perfect but we strive to give our students the best education possible. With more support from PARENTS, ALUMNI, and COMMUNITY LEADERS, we can make a difference with our students. Please don't count the whole school as a disgrace becasue of some bad experiences you may have had with a teacher or student. Remember, if you are not a part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Posted December 9, 2004

My child is enrolled at fair park high school and what i found out was that it isn't all what people said that it would be like. The school has a great enviroment of staff members, it is just these parents sending their children to school without any discipline. Like i wa saying, fair park high school is a great school and my daughter makes the honor roll and is an active member of fair park's jrotc. Thank you for the time of giving you the feedback about this school. God bless, from a very concerned parent.

Posted August 12, 2004

While I believe that Fair Park High School is not the best school, I will not publicly denounce it ! It is my belief that the source of the problems lie within the students. So,maybe we should try to engage our young in education and teach them that who and what they see on television will not help them reach their destiny in life. In a nutshell, Fair Park needs work-but they are moving forward and furthermore; the administration is excellent ! The principal, Eddie Cooper, Jr. works himself to death, and I can say with much confidence that he truly loves the school and will do whatever he feels appropiate at the moment to advance his students and his school ! In conclusion, it really is within the student, because every school has its problems-but I stress,indiviualism and non-conformity is an effective plan for sucess !

Posted August 4, 2004

I have a son in the eleventh grade at Fair Park. I regret that I put my son in such an enviorment. The teachers dont teach any thing they just grade for completion. Their test scores has been down for over 12 years. I recommend Captain Shreve, Caddo Magnet or Byrd High schools. The principal doesnt carry his responsibilities correctly in a proper manner. The teachers also use profane languages in the classrooms. This school is a big disgrace!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

194 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

193 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 87%N/A67%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Gym

• Donna Marshall
Fax number
  • (318) 631-1982

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College preparatory

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options