Southwood High School

Public | 9-12

Posted August 12, 2014

If u enjoy waiting for a schedual you already signed up for wait for 7 hours !!! This school is all about waiting!!

Posted May 21, 2014

I graduated from Southwood in 2001. I have a daughter who is currently a freshman there. I just wanted to point out that, while some of the students' reviews below are embarrassing with grammatical errors (please, proof-read and spell check when writing a positive review for your SCHOOL), I received a quality education at SHS. That was several years ago and a lot has changed, but the new principal has them on the right track. My daughter has had a good experience so far, and I'm proud that she's attending my alma mater.

Posted July 31, 2013

This school had did a change around my first year was fun in i enjoy it techers at the school are good at what they do best sports are getting back like football this year we going to the playoffs their are some fights but not a lot if u think this is not a bad school if cause you get kick out if you fight no unfroms now so is a good school to go to

Posted July 19, 2013

I am now a senior at Southwood highschool. Being a freshman at Southwood highschool was not the best experience for me. The students were very disrespectful, and the teachers got ran over. When the school switched to the new principal, Mr.Roberts, everything changed. Southwood now gives you a quality education, which is very good, and a very big improvement. I am not the smartest, but Southwood has helped shaped me into who I am today, a well-educated aspiring neonatal nurse. My friends always compliment my knowledge, and they also compliment my writing, and my widespread vocabulary, which I would also like to thank Walnut Hill Elementary Middle School for. I'm proud to be a cowboy, and I love to tell people, that this year, IM A GRADUATED SOUTHWOOD STUDENT AND IM PRPUD!

Posted September 27, 2010

Im am a student at southwood highschool im a freshman so that means this is my first year here and i have to say i love the classes but the students just usually run over the teachers and speak to them as if they were children. i was suppose to ateend byrd and i still want to. the kids are to into there own clicks and arnt into making new friends. the staff are very nice and i have to admit when i first started the school with the new principal i thought he was a bit strict but then again what i heard from the upper classman we need strict at shs the principals are very nice people but i would not send a child there because of the influence of the kids!

Posted June 24, 2010

Teacher quality was wildly variable; some were superb, but some were barely literate. Some rules didn't make a great deal of sense, like forcing students to leave the building immediately after their last class, rather than studying in the library. This school was essentially adequate, but could be much better if you had the right teachers.

Posted October 6, 2008

I am a 2008 graduate from southwood and i must say that it is a good school depending on what you make of it. My freshman year i went to Byrd and hated it and once I came to Southwood everything changed. Yes there are fights and problems as every school has but I am proud to say I went there. Upon me graduating I saw many changes and improvements with the school. EVERY school always has problems but this school is definitely improving!!

Posted October 2, 2008

Many changes have taken place at Southwood High School. A 9th grade academy, a new assistant principal, Mr. Jeff Roberts and uniforms are few to mention. The staff along with the administration are working very hard to improve the quality of education for each student. Ihave a daughter that is a junior at Southwood and I can see the changes that have taken place. Southwood is a great school to attend and it offers a wide varity of after school activities along with many clubs.

Posted August 19, 2008

I went to southwood for one year and let me tell you i hated everything about this school. This school has no school spirit! i didn't learn anything useful. All we ever did in that school was so word searches and color sheets it was like kindergarten. The teachers are crazy and they don't know how to teach! i could not wait to leave that school. I would never recommend this school to anyone!there were fights everyday! and maze would be sprayed all over the place. Also i recall missing 3 days straight because there we're bomb threats! it was horrible! after southwood i went on to byrd and graduated and thank god i did because byrd was by far the best school both in academics and in school spirit i loved it and i'm glad i got out of southwood.

Posted July 6, 2007

I believe Southwood is a good school. I graduated from there and my step daughter currently attends. As far as safety, it's very difficult to just walk in off the streets like you could do back when I attended. Even the attendance requirements are much more strict. I think the progress they have made since I attended have exceeded my expectations. I also, however, think that the parents should be more involved than they appear to be nowadays. Some parents on here make it sound like some 'urban battle ground' or 'social-survivor'. Kids will be kids, bullies and all, but that's anywhere and if you are highly involved in your child's life, it wouldn't be too big a problem. I think it's a good school with good teachers and it's the best one in the South Shreveport area. The teachers genuinly care about what happens to your kids. Thats a plus.

Posted October 3, 2006

I am a graduating student from SHS in 2002, and it is not a bad school. You have to want to learn in any school in order to succeed. It isn't something you can blame on the the teachers or parents.... it is something that the students need to blame on themselves. I graduated with a 3.5 GPA and I never had any problems, and I am not the smartest of kids, but ANYONE can excel at SHS

Posted March 26, 2006

My two sons and five nephews all excelled at SHS and since have moved on to college with the youngest graduating this year from Johns Hopkins University in Biological Engineering applying for Medical School this summer. To get the better education though, students have to take the enriched, honors, or AP courses to excel, nobody can blame the students or teachers because the responsibility relies in the parent.

Posted December 25, 2005

I am currently a student at SHS and i must say that I am disappointed with the school. Kids are aloud to do whatever they want and they talk to the teachers however they want and I dont find that very approprite! They should sit there in the class and try to learn! The teachers and staff really do need to get this together or the school is going to fall apart!

Posted December 22, 2005

As a parent of a child who attend SHS, I am greatly disappointed in what I see happening to the school.The school board is the one I blame for the down fall of SHS. The principals are working extremely hard to improve the school and turn it around.

Posted December 7, 2005

As a 2005 graduate of this school, I must say, it is not that bad. The only bad thing about Southwood are the students. I found the classes and many of the teachers to be very helpful. The only problem with Southwood is the students that are smart mouthed and feel they can do whatever they please.

Posted September 25, 2005

I am a current student at Southwood, and I would just like to respond to some of those people out their who think Southwood is a bad school. I am sick and tired of hearing about how bad and stupid Southwood is by people from other school, and even some from my own. Given, Sothwood is not at the top of the list of best schools, but our school is not that bad. Everybody thinks we are so stupid, but being on four-by-four block schedule means that we go twice as fast as all the other schools, so we can't be that dumb. I think Southwood is a good school, and I am tired of always hearing people talk about how terrible our school is when we are really not that bad of a school.

Posted August 27, 2005

As a new student to the campus of Southwood High, I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed by the conduct and educational progress that is exhibited throughout the school's designated area. Although this is my first year of high school,and I really don't know what to expect, I do believe Southwood will provide a nice learning environment for me to be a partof over the course of the next four years.

Posted May 25, 2005

I have 2 children who graduated from Southwood and 1 who will enter as a Freshman next year. All three of my children were smart, two were considered gifted. Southwood does offer classes for those students, and is continuously exploring ways to better the academic progress of the school. The upcoming magnet status, EastLab, and the ties to the evolving BioMedical curriculum are proof that Southwood is on the rise. The current principal is interested and concerned about the future of the school. At some point the responsibility of academic failures/successes needs to shift from the schools/teachers to the students/parents. The education one receives is determined in large part by the effort that is extended. Secondly, the athletic programs should not be considered a hinderance to the school. Sports can play a large role in the social aspect and confidence level of a child.

Posted March 20, 2005

disagreement with message posted on 02/18/05. They are not racist, it doesn't matter what color the kids are, and they do not pass them to get them out of there, if anything from my view they are more lenient towards Af. Am. children; yes mine is White, but the Af. Am. Teachers (not all) are just as prejudice towards the white kids. Mine can do his or her work, turn the paper in, make decent test score, and will fail the class while his Af.Am. peers pass. To all the one hollering discrimination remember it is not just your race affected but all kids in general. Parents wake up! Do you know where your child is? Look in the mirror first before casting stones. The sports program is trying; Maybe not fairly, but what School program is. Yes the parents have to be involved!

Posted March 14, 2005

If you are involved with sports, you have it easy. Those athletes are typically treated differently by many teachers. I think Southwood puts too much into their sports and competitveness and too little into their academics. Recently, the girl's b-ball team made it to state. Good job to them. Before, during, and even after they made it student were encouraged to support them and even miss school to go to the state game. Buut not once have I heard, 'Support the students who are going to the Literary Rally.' Point Made.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

343 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

345 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

• (318) 687-7588

Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Sports

Girls sports
  • Cheerleading

Arts & music

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

9000 Walker Road