Youree Dr. Middle Advanced Placement Magnet School

Public | 6-8

Posted April 9, 2014

this is not a good school and i went here it a bad transition from elementary to middle i will let my child got to Donnie Bickham Middle School.

Posted June 11, 2012

In 5th grade, my daughter had her heart set on going to CMM. When she learned she was not accepted, I was afraid she would not like YDMS. I did no know much about Youree Drive and had always heard that CMM was THE middle school to attend. Much to my surprise, my daughter has done fantastic at YDMS both socially and academically. The school had and AP Magnet program in Math and Science that is fantastic. The staff is friendly and helpful. I wish there was a little more communication with parents, but maybe I'm just used to the elementary school environment.

Posted July 23, 2011

All in all it is a good school. But I found that my son, for some reason or another just got left behind by the teachers. I think they made the class room environment a little unsettling for valid questions for answers, he was too afraid to ask, for the responses that he would get. Time was an issue for one class, before he could write the question she was erasing it. And with his grades they never raised concern. This past year, I was very disappointed with the teachers. I know they are preping they for High School, but they are still in Middle School. I think teachers loose sight of their students, by default.

Posted April 28, 2010

Very happy after 2 yrs and expecting more of the same during the last yr in 2010-2011 school year.

Posted September 16, 2009

This is my son's first year at Youree Drive Middle and he says he really likes it and so do I. The teacher have been helpful with the transition from elementary to middle.

Posted September 15, 2009

i love youree drive.it's awesome..we have so much fun and some of the teachers are nice and mean.

Posted July 1, 2009

When I first came to this school, I was very upset. But after only a few months this school became a part of me, and a place I liked to be. A place where I could learn and have fun at the same time. The teachers are great. And the students are even better! When I first transferd in during the middle of the first nine weeks as a 6th grader, I took one look around at the place and was ready to run home back to M.A. with all I had with me. I'd never worn a uniform before, and I wasn't about to now. But being in this school has changed me. Leavng that school only two years later was somthing I never thought I could go through. But now, in a diffrent middle school, I wonder why I ever hated that school. GO SPARTANS!! For ever and always!!!

Posted March 22, 2008

Great School ! I have had a great education being an AP magnet student at Youree Drive Middle School. I am involved with Varsity Cheerleading and Broadcast Jounalism at YDMS and the staff and faculty are amazing. From a middle-schoolers point of view, Youree Drive is where I would like to be.

Posted January 26, 2008

I love the school I hope you go to

Posted January 21, 2008

The school is a great school for new comers. 6th graders can't do everything the upperclassmen can do but they work theor way up! Homework is completed in an hour and reading is done every night for about 20 minutes. The projects are never difficult and there is really never any projects! The only thing I have to complain about is the discipline. So far I've heard of over 5 fights! But overall, YDMS is a grear school! Go Spartans!

Posted October 30, 2007

My son has been attending Youree since Sept 2007. I am very displeased with the school. He is only in 6th grade, and the teachers/staff seem to treat the kids as if they are high school students. They are coming from elementary schools,and the teachers expect them to adjust very quickly to changing 8 classes, being organized, keeping up with what has to be done daily, etc without any help from their teachers. There are so many kids in the classes that there is not good student to teacher ratios. My son's locker has been broken into. The Principals do seem to care, but there are so many kids, His teachers are good, but I'd like to change schools, but we are moving out of state in the summer and I will be glad!

Posted October 20, 2007

Youree is indeed a magnet school and it has provided my son with an excellent education. I am very pleased an proud of his education. The teachers are involved, supporting and challenging. He is safe, involved and getting better and better every year. I will and do recommend YMDS! Go Spartans!!

Posted March 25, 2007

The teachers my child had seemed to always state what they did not have time to do, nor were they very attentive in identifying his needs. They did not communicate very well with the parents. Maybe someone else will have a better experience with them. In my personal opinion they seemed to ride on reputation alone or we got the bottom of the barrel. The principal seemed to care even less than the teachers.

Posted July 17, 2006

Good School. Best of the non-magnet. Great Choir with a dedicated director trying to help the children experience competitive singing. School tries hard to help all children of all abilities.

Posted March 14, 2006

Youree drive is a good school academically, however the children are terrible. I have volunteered many hours at the school and have never met children that were so rude and obnoxious. I also find the staff to only be helpful towards some students while others seem to be left behind.

Posted September 4, 2005

Youree Drive Middle School is probably the best Non-Magnet school in Caddo Parish. They have Advanced Placement Classes and (Gateway Classes if you qualify). They have many electives including Beginning Guitar and this year even Intermediate Guitar. My son has had a very good education there. This year he scored a 98 on his Iowa test! The parental involvement is high and so is the security. There has been no incidence of violence since he's attended.

Posted October 7, 2004

My family has just moved here from New York, so I am sure some of you know how I was worried about the education my daughter would receive. Much to my familiy's surprise,in New York, my daughter has received an excellent education so far. I do not think I can descibe enough how happy I am with this school. She was in the academic honor roll back in New York and is in the enrich,so far,here and she seems to still have to try to get thoes A's! Youree Drive has put some rumors away for good!!!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 70% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 68% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 43%N/A67%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym

• Victor Mainiero
Fax number
  • (318) 861-5086

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options