Donnie Bickham Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted August 13, 2014

I posted this review before, but it was removed. Enjoy Donnie Bickham was the worst three years of my life. From day one- literally, my first day of sixth grade I was circled by a group of kids and beaten into the ground. Often in the presence of teachers and staff who would only intervene if I defended myself. I was the quiet kid who never spoke to anyone, shied away from most people and ignored most taunts. This was a direct result of my treatment after moving to the area. The only repercussions for anyone were often if one or two of the boys attacking me wound up injured. Then I alone would find myself suspended. Once, during "Life Sports" class I was punched repeatedly in the head before being thrown over the tennis net and my shorts were ripped off. I was left in the field half naked while the teacher made a half hearted attempt to bring the other boys back. My shorts were thrown in a tree and the teacher told me to just cover myself with my shirt. No one was punished. Anything I ever reported to the administration earned me detention or ISS. Any time I defended myself I was punished. I don't think the culture has changed.

Posted September 24, 2013

The teachers are very helpful. They send e-mails letting parents know what the assignments are in advance.

Posted August 23, 2013

The school listens to parents concerns and are very helpful in explaining what is going on with you child. They don't mind hold conferences with you at the drop of a hat. This is my child's first year and I think we have gotten off to a wonderful start.

Posted August 5, 2013

I love the school -- building, technology, faculty and students! Great vision for the future also.

Posted November 26, 2012

I have taught at Donnie Bickham for many years, and I have always believed in the teachers, administration, support personnel, and our students. Our school has been overlooked for many years, but finally we are getting the positive recognition that we deserve. I believe that we have the best middle school in Caddo Parish. My child attended Donnie Bickham, and she received an excellent education. We have the latest technology that the students use daily. Our students have so many opportunities at our school. If you are looking for an excellent middle school, I highly recommend Donnie Bickham!

Posted November 23, 2012

Being a teacher at Donnie Bickham Middle, and having taught for many years, I truly believe Donnie Bickham is the best middle school in Caddo Parish. It has the strongest leadership in Shannon Wall that a staff, students and parents could possible ask for in a middle school. The teachers truly care about the students and every teacher teaches all day long. I couldn't ask for anything more, and I'm proud to be a teacher at DBMS, and i love every single student I teach, with a passion. Simply put: We have the #1 Smart School in Caddo Parish, the best administrator, the best students, and the best teachers a school could ask for, and it just doesn't get any better than this. If any parent is looking for a great middle school and sister high school to send their child or children, look no further. We've got it all, hands down. I'm proud to ba a teacher and a DB Patriot.

Posted November 17, 2012

I recently took a tour of DBMS on a regular school day, and I was SHOCKED at what I saw. Not only is the campus beautiful, but the environment was extremely safe, organized, and conducive to learning. I saw more quality technology in a 45 minute tour than I've seen in all the other schools I've toured combined. Both the enriched and gateway classes were as impressive as any magnet school classroom anywhere. My mind has been made. Why would I send my kid 20 miles away from home to a magnet school when I've got an AWESOME school less than 5 miles from home? DId I mention that the principal stopped what he was doing to give me an impromptu tour? He even invited me to attend the next Patriot Booster Club meeting. Wow!

Posted November 17, 2012

I recently ran into a former student. He said, "You all taught us at Donnie Bickham. I learned more there than in high school. Middle school was the best time of my life." My favorite part of the conversation was that this young man enjoyed middle school. The teachers at DBMS are very diligent about student achievement in academics and athletics. The coaches instill good sportsmanship first, fundamentals second. I am a proud teacher and a proud Patriot.

Posted August 22, 2012

(2012-2013) MY SON IS AT NORTHWOOD THIS YEAR AND MY DAUGHTER IS AN 8TH GRADER AT DONNIE BICKHAM. BOTH OF MY CHILDREN LOVED THE SCHOOL AND THEIR STAFF. THEY BOTH NEED SPECIAL HELP IN READING/ENGLISH AND THEY HAVE RECEIVED IT AND THE STAFF AS KEPT IN TOUCH WITH ME ABOUT THEIR PROGRESS AND WHERE THEY MAY NEED EXTRA HELP. NO SCHOOL CAN DO THE JOB MY THEY SELVES THE NEED PARENTS INVOLVEMENT. THERE IS SMART BOARDS IN EVERY CLASS ROOM. AND THEY ARE ON TOP OF THE LASTEST IN EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY. THE STAFF HAS ALWAYS BEEN VERY HELPFUL AND POLITE. THANK YOU ALL FOR BEING THERE FOR MY CHILDREN.

Posted October 27, 2011

I'm certainly glad DON posted his cooment (oldest one) a LONG time ago. DON, you don't understand how special ed works at all. Parents begin the process of identifying a child for special ed. There is only so much the school or school system can do. My second child is attending DBMS this year, and I must say that BOTH Mr. Windham AND Mr. Wall have been huge part or my child's success, as well as the teachers that were there then AND now. We love DBMS and we LOVE Blanchard and Blanchard Elementary School! VERY BEST schools anywhere!!!

Posted September 28, 2011

I'm just curious as to how you come up with the ratings for each posting. I noticed that the postings that spoke negatively about DBMS were rated very low yet the postings which spoke highly of the school or it's staff rated very high. Seems to me this site may be biased. Therefore my question are...Who rates the postings and if it's done by the site itself, how do they determine the rating? Can we, as parents, rate a comment and if so how do we do it?

Posted February 10, 2009

Donnie Bickham is an asset to the community in north Shreveport as well as the entire city. The administration, faculty and staff have been strong providers for a well rounded, world-class education since it's inception. Both my children attended Donnie Bickham and were quite successful in high school because of the strong academic foundation they received. Thanks to the guidance and forward thinking of the principal and his support staff for the academic discipline and high expectations of our future leaders.

Posted February 3, 2009

I have one child currently attending DBMS and one that is now in high school and attended DBMS. I would recommend DBMS to anyone. The administration, teachers, and staff are the best. The technology is great and getting better every day. There are clubs, sports, music, and just about anything else you could ask for. If you haven't seen DBMS lately, you need to check it out. It's the best.

Posted February 2, 2009

I am a parent of a 6th grader currently attending Donnie Bickham and a 10th grader who attended Donnie Bickham in grades 6-8. I am very pleased with the quality of education my child has received while attending Donnie Bickham. The Principal, faculty, and staff have been incredibly kind and have made the transition from elementary to middle school a very positive experience. The new administration, advances in the use of technology, and changes in the way that the school communicates with parents have all been steps in the right direction, making Donnie Bickham, in my opinion, the best middle school in Shreveport.

Posted February 1, 2009

I am a currently a teacher at Donnie Bickham. I have been there for almost 5 years and my experience has been excellent. Donnie Bickham has a very safe and structured environment. The faculty always the best interest of the students at heart, and the administration is very strong and fair. Also, Bickham is one of the only true neighborhood schools left. There are new and exciting things coming to Donnie Bickham everyday! For example, we have state of the art technology in EVERY classroom. There will be a gifted program at Bickham for the 2009-2010 school year, and we will soon be the home of a brand new athletic complex!

Posted December 11, 2008

I attended Donnie Bickham and then transitioned to a more challenging high school in Shreveport. At Donnie Bickham, I was arguably the best in my class, but in comparison to other college-bound students, I was behind in all subjects, had no foreign language preparation, was not well-informed about the requirements to earn admission to colleges outside of Louisiana, and I had to work exceptionally hard to catch up to my peers. In addition, the school transitioned to having school uniforms, which actually distracted students and teachers in the classroom...because they were trying to enforce ridiculous regulations about the way in which we dressed. However, these rules may be enforced more smoothly now. My experience with extracurricular activities was extremely positive, I will say this for the school, and I always felt safe.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 13, 2007

You should know that parents, not schools, put their children in special ed. Bickham is an excellent school, with a plethora of outstanding educators, all the way from the principal to the paraprofessionals. My children got an outstanding education at DBMS, because I ensured that what was taught at school was reinforced at home. The problems many students face are that they don't come to school with the social skills needed to interact properly with others and many don't get reinforcement on the lessons learned once they leave school every day. Those parents whom are very involved in their children's school life have been consistently pleased with Donnie Bickham Middle School. Thanks!

Posted September 19, 2006

The '06-'07 school year will be my son's last at DBMS and we have both enjoyed the school. As a mother, I appreciate the concern and willingness to work on an individual basis regarding issues which have concerned either my child or myself. We have dealt with everything from first year intimidation (others may call it 'bullying') to questions involving teaching methods. In sixth grade, we addressed a not-so-obvious self-esteem dilemma my son had developed being a 'new kid in a new school', as well as the usual and ongoing minor problems in the area of homework. The counselors were helpful in offering suggestions and they were gracious enough to listen to my input as well. Everyone involved was eager to lend an ear and provide feedback which helped us all to find mutually effective solutions. Overall, our experience at DBMS has been a great success. Get involved and get results!

Posted May 17, 2006

I stepped in to assist with my nephew s education after his father was deployed. My dealings were with only a few of the teachers; so that is what my opinion is based upon. With that being stated; Don is not too far from the truth. Allow me to give you an example: 1. The weekly spelling test consisted of a worksheet with four possible spellings of each word. The Student was to circle the correct spelling. Here comes the problem. When the words were handed out on Monday the students were not required to define or enunciate the words. Sink or Swim on test day. It seems to me that the school s main concern is teaching the LEAP and other standardized test instead of simply educating the students.

Posted February 1, 2005

My daughter is in 6th grade here. The principal Mr. Windham is wonderful. The school is just great. My daughter absolutely loves it. I think the way they handle bullying is outstanding. I couldnt ask for a better school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 70% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 68% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 62% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 64%N/A67%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Gym

• Shannon Wall
Fax number
  • (318) 929-2416

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Music
  • Band
  • Choir / Chorus
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

7240 Old Mooringsport Road