Pope John Paul II Catholic High School

Private | 9-12 | 300 students

Living in Slidell

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $159,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,060.

Sweep tile

Posted August 30, 2012

As a recent graduate of PJP I could not be more thankful for the education I have received there. Yes the work is challenging, but should it be anything less? Yes rules are strictly enforced, but again should they not? I'm an alumni, class of 2011, one sister is there now, and another is anxiously waiting to enter those JP doors. I will forever sing the praises of this school from the mountain tops! Upon entering my first year of college I would understand the information before the professor would even explain it. And what do I have to thank for that? The GREAT education I received at PJP. Students are constantly being challenged by faculty who only want to see improvement and confidence building among their students. More importantly, PJP offers THE best faith-based development in the area, and the Christ-centered atmosphere makes you PROUD to be a man or woman of God! PJP also offers activities for EVERYONE to participate in and make their school and community great. My parents made many sacrifices to send me here, and I will never be able to thank them enough for choosing to give me the excellent faith-based education that PJP offers. Thank God Almighty, I'm a JAGUAR!

Posted August 23, 2012

I am a faculty member but also the parent of a PJP graduate. Pope did a great job preparing her for college.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 23, 2012

Pope John Paul is a great family oriented school. Good college prep with lots of sports and extracurricular activities. They definitely prepared me for the world.

Posted August 20, 2012

PJP is the finest school on the Northshore. My wife and I both graduated from there. They provided a Catholic foundation for us that has sustained us through many trials. They provide so much more than just superior academics. They gave me skills to deal with true life issues. I love the new principal Martha Mundine. She has shown a commitment to Catholic values and this is truly what sets the school apart from surrounding high schools. They have daily adoration, monthly mass, and a campus ministry program that ranks among the strongest in the region. Their athletics is also impressive with football winning district last year and powerlifting with another state championship.

Posted August 19, 2012

PJP is on the move.....with a new principal (Martha Mundine), updated campus, a competitive athletic program, advanced technology, a zero tolerance drug policy, and lots of new, dynamic faculty on board (along with highly qualified veteran teachers). Well worth the sacrifice necessary to send my kids there. For that matter, the school will work with you on tuition if you are struggling and want still desire the quality education they provide. They have shown genuine concern for a child that needs accommodating in the classroom, too. I am highly impressed. Opportunites are endless to get involved (plenty extra-curricular organizations & sports teams) and become a leader.

Posted August 19, 2012

Excellence all around at PJP. I am completely satisfied with the education, faith development and morals this outstanding & close-knit Catholic school has offered my children. They develop strong, productive leaders who excel into the collegiate level and beyond. Don't be fooled by the stats, either - comparing "apples to oranges". Area public schools DO NOT administer the ACT test to all of their students. PJP encourages every student to take the ACT and their average score (which remains consistently above local, state & national averages) reflects such academic excellence. 99% of their graduates go on to higher learning and succeed. Wow! Their new prinicipal, Martha Mundine, is an excellent, refreshing & dynamic new leader! The Parents are actively involved and the faculty and staff are dedicated and receptive!!

Posted August 19, 2012

I is an honor and pleasure to be a part of the staff, but I would send my kids here regardless of working at PJP. They are all caring and honest people. We are a family at PJP. Personally, I have received support in many ways whenever I've needed it. They have prayed with me and for me & my family and helped us through a very difficult time. I am also a parent of an alum, who is far exceeding any expectations we had for him in college!! My children who currently attend are very happy in this safe and Christian environment. It is challenging curriculum, but one that prepares you for college & life !!! Thank God Almighty, we are Jaguars!!!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 19, 2012

My first child graduated from PJP and my "baby" just began as a freshman. We live in what is considered the better public school district and have the financial means to choose any school in the New Orleans area for our children. We chose PJP for varying reasons. Our children have opportunities to participate in many activities, many sports, many leadership roles, etc. to develop their talents, strengths, self-esteem and Chrisitan character. There is prayer before football games as well as in school. The ACT/SAT scores are the highest in this area with graduates on full scholarships to universities such as Harvard, Duke, Yale, Vanderbilt, the Air Force & Naval Academies in addition to our own loved LSU & other SEC universities. Parents are encouraged to be involved in many aspects of their children's academic lives, as are siblings & grandparents. The children are respectful and the parents know where their kids are on the weekends & the families of their child's classmates. Student leaders of the school focus on organizing alcohol free parties for their classmates and team mates. PJP was the best imaginable HS experience for our son. So far, our "freshie" rates it a 10 out of 10!

Posted August 19, 2012

Pope John Paul represents traditional Christian family values with a superior academic performance rating. When our children enter the doors of PJP, they enter into the presence of a Christ-centered academic environment. That is priceless! The instructors know the names, goals, dreams, and talents of each individual student. The leadership invites parents to share their talents, ideas, and concerns with a genuine, kind, and welcoming spirit. Teaching utilizes innovative technology & fresh methods pertinent to the learning styles of today's student. There is a perfect balance of structure and creativity in the school's curriculum and discipline to create responsible, talented, and academically outstanding graduates year after year. The new principle brings proven experience, enthusiasm, & excellence to the school. When interviewing & searching both the North Shore & South Shore for the perfect school, we were looking for a blend of Christian values, Christ's Spirit in both the faculty & students, and proven ACT/SAT scores in the 30's for many graduates year after year. PJP offered just what we were seeking. Our children LOVE this school. We would not consider any other school.

Posted August 19, 2012

The following are attributes of PJP and hallmarks of a fine, faith-based education: Academic challenge, spiritual growth, and a tight-knit community. Graduates leave PJP with the feeling that they can make a difference in the world. They also leave with scholarships to the finest universities in the country. The majority of the graduates have fully paid scholarships not only to in-state universities, but to the university of their choice. Christian educators at PJP strive to challenge student's minds, foster their spirits and prepare them socially and professionally for life in the real world. While all schools stress intellectual development, PJP strives to give students an education that goes beyond textbooks: They also emphasize spiritual formation and the virtue of leading a responsible, ethical life. PJP offers an integration of faith and learning not present at public schools, all while stressing the importance of social responsibility and service. In reality, the students and parents need to do their part at home to enhance what instructors can do in the classroom. At PJP, the commitment to academic excellence is evident. Walk through the doors & see the difference.

Posted August 19, 2012

Pope John Paull II Catholic High School has been a secret for way too long!!! With a new principal, excellent teachers, and a student body small enough for everyone (faculty, staff, students, and parents) to get to know each other, we wouldn't think of sending our children any place but PJP. Our first PJP graduate is on the move in college and owes an abundance of thanks to PJP teachers who prepared him well. Our second child attends PJP now and is already benefitting from the quality education and environment. The youngest is raring to go and can't wait to be a Jaguar!! It's worth every sacrifice we make to send our children to THE Catholic high school in Slidell.

Posted August 19, 2012

I chose other because I am not only a parent but an Alumni as well. My parents sacrifices a great deal to pu myself and my two brothers to PJP. It was worth all the sacrifices. It not only prepared us academically, but spiritually and atheletically as well. It was verbalized that if you wanted an athletic scholarship it would not happen going to PJP. Myself and both brothers proved this statement wrong as well as countless others through the years. Academically, you could not ask for better, PJP prepares its students for college and 99% of them further their education in college. We historically recieve more academic scholarships than any school in town, especially when you factor in the percentages. But it is so much more than the best education in town. The school is faith based and these young students care a great deal about each other and what God has given them as an opportunity. I could not as for a better enviornment for my son and soon to be my daughter. They are challanged academically, spiritually, and athletically. We routinely send graduates to the top universities in the country, and they excel when they get there. Bleed Scarlet, Blue and Gold.

Posted August 19, 2012

My oldest son graduated from Pope John Paul II High School in 1993. Another son graduated in 2010. I look forward to my youngest daughter's graduation in 2013. I have seen many changes and improvements at PJP over the last twenty years. Each of my three children received not only an excellent college prep education, along with scholarship opportunities at their college choices - but were also prepared to become moral and responsible adults. My children each have their own unique personalities, but the academic leaders and teachers have provided each with a solid base for a successful college experience. Each student, whether academically or athletically, are recognized for their own strengths, and are given opportunities in this close knit school community not available to their peers in public school. The ability to open each day with prayer, regardless of what denomination Christian faith you practice, to freely and openly practice and verbalize your beliefs, coupled with a strong technology based education is worth every penny of tuition costs. This is a great investment in your child's future.

Posted September 10, 2011

Northshore public schools may offer great academics, but the teacher do not have time necessary for those that need it. Pope teachers have the time to offer the help needed so that no student is left behind. As an alumni of Pope that started at Northshore I would not trust my children with any Public school. The new leadership recently brought in is making the school soar even further.

Posted September 1, 2009

As an alum, and a member of the PJP community, I could not imagine sending my children anywhere else. PJP is a strong school academically. PJP is a small school that allows for a family environment. The faculty and staff know all of the students and work everyday to help all of those students succeed.

Posted August 26, 2009

I attend this high school and did not feel it prepared me for my college career. This school is a huge waste of your money and i beg you to not send your children here.

Posted September 8, 2008

Unless you're a truly devout Catholic, there is no sense in sending your child to Pope. The public schools on the Northshore are much better. Save your money and give your child a better education. Trust me, Pope is not a good place.

Posted July 3, 2008

I expected more from a private school. The lack of leadership, few extracurricular activities, lack of teacher involvement, poor teacher quality and high tuition costs make PJP one of the most expensive and overated schools I've ever had the displeasure of being associated with. The attitude of the teachers and administration show just how little they care about the students or the concerns of the parents. At over $6,000 per year, I thought that the quality of education would have been better. PJP needs to clean up their act, pay more attention to the concerns of the parents and help those students that need extra attention.

Posted November 16, 2007

Excellent School, I am very impressed.

Posted December 17, 2006

My child, like many others, was affected by Hurricane Katrina. She attended Archbishop Hannan in Meraux and loved it. She couldn't imagine being at any other school. But, Katrina changed all that. She was very upset to learn her school had been destroyed. In Sept 2005, she began PJPII. At first, she was nervous, but soon felt comfortable because of the counselors, teachers and students. They all made her feel like a part of the PJPII family. She has done well and continues to do well academically. She was also invited to participate on the volleyball team and truly enjoys her teammates. She still misses Hannan, but now loves PJPII. She has made many new friends. We recommend PJPII.

Asian 2% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Students typically attend these schools prior to attending this school St. Margaret Mary Catholic School
Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic School
Lake Castle North
Percentage of students going to 2-year college 2% (2012)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 97% (2012)
Percentage of students going to the military 1% (2012)
Colleges most students attend after graduation Louisiana State University
Southeastern Louisiana Univers
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Foreign language and culture club

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • SADD

• 7:30 am
School end time
  • 2:45 pm
  • Martha M. Mundine
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Advanced placement courses
  • Honors track
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Archdiocese of New Orleans

• Drama
Media arts
  • Technical design and production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

Students typically come from these schools
St. Margaret Mary Catholic School

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Louisiana State University
Southeastern Louisiana Univers
College preparation / awareness offered
College prep programs/courses during the year
College presentations or information sessions
SAT/ACT prep classes