Slidell, LA
Students enrolled: 1,008

Posted May 04, 2013
Little Oak is surprisingly a very large school. I've heard their enrollment is always over 1000, yet I do not feel like my 2 students are lost in a mass. For a middle school, the teacher-parent communication is awesome. I can check my daughters' grades online at any time and we get a weekly communicator from their teachers. I can also access the teachers' web site and download homework if they forget to bring it home. Their band program is huge and unbelievable for a middle school. The secretary, Miss Linda, is so sweet and patient. "The assistant principal loves the students" according to my daughters. They say she is so sweet to them and treats they with respect, but if anyone acts up, "she can be mean." My family has the upmost respect for her, too. The principal is always visible and runs a tight ship. I am so glad my girls are there.

Little Oak Middle School 4

Posted December 05, 2012
I was always a strong supporter of little oak considering I went there as a child but its not the same school it was 20 years ago. Still a great school but children are so snobby and i notice bullying going on and no interference from teachers etc. Besides that acedemically its a wonderful school, with teachers who really care. But my son started here midway through forth grade after being at Bonnye Ecole from T-1 through the first half of forth. The transition was very hard for him and the homework load is so much more than hes accustomed to. Great school though. Mrs Morris is still the best teacher even since I was in school there. Unfortunately my son didnt get her.

Posted July 21, 2012
I attended this school some years ago and loved every minute of it. My teachers were always caring and helpful. I know the principal now and she is amazing. Great school!

Posted April 07, 2012
Great school. We should know, as a military family, we have been to a number of schools in a few states with great schools and this school is good for pushing the kids the rigtht way, with a great deal of homework and expecting a lot from them. That's just how I want it...Life is just the same, work hard and do good work. I appreciate that this school is treating them as bigger kids, is not making excuses for them and is making them work hard for their grades. The teachers and principal will listen to you and will work with you. Parent of a 5th grader.

Posted November 18, 2011
I am a parent of a fifth grader at Little Oak Middle. This is his second year at this school and I can't say enough about what this school has done and is continuing to do for my child. Before entering Little Oak, he was very quiet and reserved. He is a child that needs to be challenged CONSTANTLY. Although his previous schools were "O.K.", I never expected to see such dedicated teachers and administrators when I walked into Little Oak for the first time! I decided to try and volunteer to stay connected to his educational experiences and give back to the school. The teachers work so hard for the students. They keep them challenged and motivated by letting them work in groups and by doing research on computers. They actually teach each child to his or her own ability...these teachers are very talented! My child actually loves to go to school and he has grown so much socially. You will never see a teacher or one of the administrators sitting behind a desk! When I am volunteering, I notice that the principal always sticks her head in the door to say hello and check on everyone. Although I know she is probably very busy, she always puts her students first! AWESOME school!

Posted October 21, 2011
My daughter just completed her 1st nine weeks at Little Oak, and I am very impressed with the education she is receiving. I knew it would be a big adjustment from Honey Island, but she is really blossoming as a student and young girl. Her organizational skills have greatly improved, and she is more responsible regarding homework. I feel she is maturing academically and developing positive character traits because more is expected of her as a 4th grade student and citizen. Her teachers have been incredibly supportive and helpful, and the weekly memos are informative, keeping me apprised of the tasks for the week. I really love the student planner! I have volunteered in the classroom, and I find her teachers have a geniune compassion and desire to educate each child so they can be successful learners. The front office staff is truly wonderful at Little Oak. The ladies are so courteous and helpful whatever questions or concerns I have. I know the adminstrators are busy, but when I've passed them in the hall or seen them at the office, they've always taken time to stop and ask how we are doing and to let me know they're their to help. I am so happy that my child is there.

Posted October 20, 2011
I love this school. My teachers are very helpful and nice. I like it that I have 2 teachers this year. I have more homework to do, but my teachers go over it in class and that really helps.

Little Oak Middle School 1

Posted October 10, 2011
If you truly want an education for yoru child, look elsewhere. They have teachers that do not feel they need to grade assignments because they have too many students and they also give grade A for work that is not to that standard. My daughter missed 5 words on a 20 word spelling test and still received a 100%. I was told by her teacher that spelling isnt a priority and I need to teach her to spell, however, it is a grade on her report card. When contacting the vice principal, I was told this is okay and my daughter would have stay in this class although she is not being taught. I am so disgusted with this school that we will be paying for private school next year. The teachers and the faculty have no interest in the kids, only in the state tests. Very sad to see how little educators care.

Little Oak Middle School 3

Posted February 25, 2011
The school is just okay. I think it was a rude awakening coming from Honey Island, where the children are treated as children. At Litlle Oak, so much more is expected of them. The teachers my daughter has don't seem to care like the teachers at Honey Island did. The class size is much larger, but that's no excuse for teachers to come across so disinterested. I expected much more after Honey Island, and we're considering private for next year.

Little Oak Middle School 0

Posted May 01, 2010
My daughter is in 5th grade. You remember, this is the year that school becomes hard.My daughter is learning to take the initiative and pull her grades up if the slip.She studies on her own.No prodding necesary.Her teachers are wonderful.Her friends are as hard working as her.

Little Oak Middle School
59241 Rebel Drive, Slidell, LA  70461
Last modified Little Oak Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 4-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Little Oak Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top