Lucille Cherbonnier Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted July 17, 2013

I don't even know where to begin with this school. The secretaries were rude, and because of them my daughter missed her initial placement test for kindergarten. They could not hold a principal. School to parent communication was virtually zero. To this day, after a full school year, we still do not know if every Friday was dress down day. My daughter was bullied, came home with a black eye, and slap marks, and had small personal items stolen from older kids on the bus, and the school did nothing about it. Meanwhile, she was placed in school counseling for her behavior. There were school drivers that smoked cigarettes on the bus. When we mentioned this to the school board, we were told it would be taken care of, or we could take it up with the principal, even though for the last six months of the school year they didn't even have a principal. Although the teacher wasn't too bad, she seemed constantly overwhelmed, although the specific teacher seemed to try. Maybe a good teacher in an awful school. I'm ashamed I let my daughter go to this school for an entire school year.

Posted January 8, 2013

My child is attending this school and I must say that I am so disappointed. I can't believe who they let in to teach. The teachers treat the children like dirt and are constantly raising their voices. It seems they don't even have the patience to be teachers or school staff. I have honestly never seen such behavior from teachers in my life. It is even to the point that the kids are cursed at and that I find totally unacceptable. The first opportunity I get to get my child out... I AM!

Posted April 9, 2010

This school does not have enough rewarding for the students who work hard. That can be little discouraging.

Posted April 2, 2010

My children have been with this school for two years. I have notice ..teachers come and go quickly. Just no stability! Overall....it's ok....needs a lot of improvement

Posted February 25, 2010

I believe the 5th graders at this school is amazing!They work so hard on thier reading.Mostly i should grag about the teachers that help them do so well.

Posted July 26, 2008

4 years and looking forward to another Great year!

Posted April 14, 2008

This might make me sound less educated, but this school absolutly SUCKS!!! They have been on acedemic probation with the school board since my son attended kindergarden there 4 years ago. The principle is USELESS! Also, the teacher turn over rate is the worst I have ever seen.

Posted March 28, 2008

We have attended for 3 years now, and have found the quality of the teachers to be very poor. We've had several different teachers in this last year and the majority did not seem qualified to teach. They are so overwhelmed with the class size I feel it hinders them from teaching. The last Teacher is very qualified but seems but very unorganized. The Teacher does not test weekly or provide a weekly homework sheet. I can't track my child's weekly progress. I've made several request for some type of schedule & have not received one. I've spoken with the Principal and Assistant Principal on several ocassions and the Principal's comments are 'I leave all classroom issues up to the Teacher, It's their decision'. Frankly, I'm very disturbed by this. It's suppose to be about the children, not the teachers. - disturbed in waggaman

Posted May 25, 2005

This is our second year attending here, and I have mixed reviews. I LOVED both the teachers he has had last year, and this. I didn't care for the principal last year, but she has really turned herself around. She has her work cut out for herself, but I think they need some 'uniformity'. That will get better with time.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 91%N/A67%

• Constance Groue
Fax number
  • (504) 431-1236

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

700 Dandelion Drive