Riser Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted August 20, 2009

I have a grandson going to riser and is a special needs child with downs. Last year was a good year for my grandson but this year the start has been a nightmare from day 1. The changes made is not good for the special needs and that is what they are special needs. At age 4 they do not need to be put in with regular students. Teachers that have no ideal about the special needs, need to educate there self. They need the one on one time not just child in the class room. My grandson can't talk so he cant defend himself. With downs kids they are all different but with the same needs and attention. My grandson with downs is 4 but his mind is age 2. And to have them sit in the hall till bell rings is fine for your regular students but not downs.

Posted June 12, 2009

my son has been going to riser for preschool and i can say that riser school is far one of the best schools that i have seen in along time the teacher are so wounderful and they are graet with the kids. my son and i are realy pleased with the school.

Posted October 13, 2008

My daughter attended Riser Elementary for kindergarten last year. She was a straight A, Principal's List student all year long. A product of Ms. Booker's wonderful teaching, of course! She really came out of her shell and became much more confident simply because of the enriching atmosphere Ms. Booker provided! I can't say enough about the teachers and staff at Riser Elementary! They are very dedicated educators and in my opinion, they exceed all expectations that I could imagine an educational institution SHOULD be! All I can say is 'Thank you!' to Ms. Booker, Ms. Zordan, and Ms. Trish! My family moved to Texas after my daughter's kindergarten graduation, and I have to say that I am having a hard time finding that 'great Texas education' you hear so much about. You ALL have set the bar quite high. We will always remember what you have done for her and us!

Posted August 3, 2008

My son went to Riser from Kindergarden thru the 8th. Never had any problems outside the norm. Now, my grandson starts Pre-K this month. I hope it's still a good school.

Posted July 21, 2008

I have had 3 children and 1 grandchild attend Riser and have been very happy with their experiences there. After my children attended a more 'popular' school, we chose to return to the Riser school district because the 'pier pressure' was not a problem compared to some of the other schools. My children also felt like they were at home, not just a number. If you were involved in the school at all, they knew your name and welcomed you. Thank you to all the teachers and staff for making my children's experience great!!!!

Posted May 27, 2008

My son started kindergarden this past year and I was nervous about not being with him throughout the day. His teacher, Ms. Booker is one of the most caring and compassionate person I've met. I didn't have to worry about him at all. The principal, Mrs. Zordan is wonderful. She goes beyond expectations to make Riser the best school ever. Teachers I met throughout the year are very friendly and down to earth. In my opinion, Riser Elm. is the best school for my son. Susan

Posted September 11, 2007

I think that Riser is a great school.The teachers are great and the principal is great,and they want the parent's to be involved to help out and to volunteer in the clasrooms.From my experience it is a great school for your children to be able to go to.

Posted July 17, 2005

I have two children in riser. I think riser is great. My son is ADHD they have worked with him and worried with him. That means a lot to a working parent that can't be there all of the time. I have had teachers bring my children home because I got off late and could not pick them up. Hats off to Riser Elm. Thanks to all.

Posted March 9, 2005

I do not agree that Riser is a great school. I feel the classes are too full and the students do not get enough, if any one on one time. The teachers don't seem to love the kids or their jobs. I myself am a former student of Riser and I know that the kids get away with alot. Mr. Whitten really could be a bit more aggressive. This will be the one and only year my child attends Riser.

Posted October 31, 2004

I am a former student of Riser Elementary. I attended from 1986 to 1995. I thoroughly enjoyed going to Riser. All the teachers I had were wonderful teachers. Mr. Whitten is a great principal. There was great parental involvement in school activities. I would highly recommend people send their children to Riser. My regards to all the great teachers I had when I was at Riser.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 12, 2004

I am a former student of Riser Elementary School. I attended Riser Elementary from Kindergarten through 8th grade and I would like to let you know that I believe Riser Elementary School to be not only the top educational institution in Louisiana but throughout the United States. Please send my regards to Ms. BoBo and Mr. Whitten.
—Submitted by a former student

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 68% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 65% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 72% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 72% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 66% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 71% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 70% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 83%N/A67%

• Nicole Zordan
Fax number
  • (318) 387-6801

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

100 Price Drive