West Monroe, LA
Students enrolled: 1,981

Posted April 17, 2014
I am very pleased with the education and social skills my children learned while attending WMHS. They were very well prepared to attend LSU in Baton Rouge, and scored above average on the ACT which is a reflection in the quality of the teachers instructing our children. They care about the students and make it fun to learn. I understand that athletics here are very important but when you think of the positive influence of striving to be and do your best, i believe it is a good thing. All in all, my family loved attending WMHS and it was fun and entertaining as well. They are doing well in college and the foundation they received in all areas of their lives here makes me give five stars. They are second to none and continue to improve.

Posted March 30, 2014
The focus of this school is not academics or even the well being of all students. My daughter was beat up and while I pressed charges on the child who did the actual beating, the school refused to do anything about the child who video'd the event! I was told she was a honors student who had never been in trouble! So that makes it okay to do something unethical? The theater program is lacking as well, it's run by the choir and unless your a member of that you can hang up getting the opportunity to be on stage. I'm glad it wasn't that way when I was a student there, I may not have learned how to speak in public and do the job I currently have.

Posted January 24, 2014
West Monroe High School continues to enhance the curriculum, extra-curricular programs and athletic programs and far exceeds the norm for public education. This elite school actually bears the evidence of world class educational standards. The faculty and administration set the pace with the highest caliber of instruction along with expectations for a strong work ethic for students. This school may not be for "every" student because slackers will not like the rigor of the academic program. My grandchild attends this school so my husband and I participate in some community events surrounding school activities. We recently toured the school and learned about the various academies within the high school. The new Science, Technology, Engineering and Math building was truly exceptional. In fact, the music programs are more than just impressive. These students tour the world; this summer the choir will be in Italy to sing at the Vatican. The band just returned from London. You have to see this school for your child's benefit.

Posted January 23, 2014
Great School, teachers and leadership. They are concerned and welcome parental involvement in ALL areas. Ask questions, go to teacher meetings, use Edline!!! The give us free tools to use. I emailed each teacher at the beginning of the year and NEVER had a problem. Both of my children graduated from WMHS and are proud alumni.

Posted March 11, 2013
West Monroe High School places football over everything, including academics. The students are not taught the skills necessary to succeed in college. My daughter never had to take a final because students with an A average are "exempt". She only had to write one paper but every student who actually completed the assignment received an "A", without regard to the quality of their work. How is that teaching the students anything? Well over half of the students didn't even complete the assignment... While not all teachers are terrible, there are some that are more interested in chatting on their cell phones during class time than actually teaching the students. The administration doesn't care. Unmotivated teachers cause students to be equally unmotivated.

Posted October 30, 2012
My student was demeaned and accosted daily there. Other kids ruined his textbooks and the school didnt lend a hand and blamed him.. Warm and caring environment must be for young men who can catch footballs and no one else. Beware!

Posted May 14, 2012
We moved here from out of state and I would not put my kids in this school again. The counselors do not help or know anything about the kids to going to college out of this state, or helping them find scholarships. They are not helpful in knowing what the child may be interested in so that he would take the appropriate class. My students that were there, they were in all honors classes and AP classes watching movies. Only 3 or 4 students in an AP class of 20 actually took the AP test. The kids are not prepared for college. No projects or papers to write, if so only a few. No finals to study for if made all A's which may sound great but not preparing you for college where you have to take the final. The focus is clearly football. All other sports must raise lots of money to participate in other activities. Lack of follow thru and communication from all administration.

Posted May 10, 2012
West Monroe has consistently placed more emphasis on football than academics. Many of the graduates in this community are semi-literate at best.

West Monroe High School 0

Posted April 20, 2010
It is a warm and caring school. The programs are set up to develop lifelong learners. The atmosphere is wonderful; all of the students are able to plug into a beneficial social group. The teachers are caring and will go the extra mile to assist in student success and the admistration is involved with the learning process. They do stay in their offices and delegate, they work in the school with the teachers, students and support staff. Wonderful place to go to school.

West Monroe High School 4

Posted October 09, 2009
I am a senior at West Monroe High School and I am very proud to say that it is a wonderful school with great staff and students.

West Monroe High School
201 Riggs Street, West Monroe, LA  71291
Last modified West Monroe High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
West Monroe High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top