Zachary High School

Public | 8-12 | 1435 students

Posted November 8, 2013

There is zero accountability within the Zachary Community School System. They care more about being #1 than the welfare of their students. Everything revolves around politics and the importance of the school's image. Their focus for the school year is prepping for the state test. Outside of that they are not taught much. Zachary students are not taught to use critical thinking skills and the admins have no desire to foster the spirit of the individual. They would prefer it if all students dressed alike, thought alike, and acted alike. Now that being said, there are good teachers who care within the school system. They do have an excellent program for gifted/talented students. The honors program could use some work and their selection of electives are decent. Zachary Schools are #1 and should be. They study for nothing but the test until around Mar./April and they are the only school within the system since they had themselves separated from East Baton Rouge Parish. Zachary is highly overrated. Claiming you're #1 in a state that ranks 49th nationally does not seem much of an achievement.

Posted October 14, 2009

Zachary is the best school. We have our ups and downs and that happens everywhere. They are helpful and keeps the kids out of trouble. This is almost like collage the way eveything is presented. There is no time wasting because once school starts you do work bell to bell. Yes the have a few crazy rules but other than that the school is really great you should think about inrolling your child

Posted May 27, 2009

I think the school is just average. I find the administration and the guidance counselors to be snooty and have an unhelpful attitude. The only reason they are '#1' in the state is because there is only one high school and they teach to the test. Any school district sould be number one if they only have one school...Jeez.

Posted May 2, 2008

I bellive Zachary High school is the best school your child could ever attend in the state of Louisiana. If you are wanting your child to suceed in the future they should come to Zachary High School because their district is number one in the state
—Submitted by a student

Posted April 17, 2008

I think that Zachary High is wonderful in academic and Football but they need more teachers who care about their students. Most teachers and the principal is more worried about being ranked # 1 in the district until they are putting students out of class and suspending them for just about anything. They say that they are there for the students but seems to me that they are thare just to keep a name for theselves.

Posted January 31, 2008

Im am a student of zachary high. And I think that the school is very overcrowded. There is always construction going on around the school. Dont get me wrong though, there are some teachers that care alot about there students and want there students to get out of school but others just dont care about the average student. The principal is so worried about dress infractions, and getting to class on time that he doesn't even know your Submitted by a student

Posted September 18, 2007

I would like to commend all of Zachary schools for their hard work to be a perfect school system.I recently moved to Zachary and have 4 kids in different schools, and the teachers are great,they works together and keep me very informed on everything my children do. They keep an open line of communication with me.I appreciate that. I have to say the only other thing they could offer at these schools is for the teachers to come home with you.(smile) They are wonderful and very concerned about your kids and mine. I must admit their grading system I may never understand,they grade very hard, about college level, but I know my children will make it, and be very well prepared for college. Thanks Teachers falculty for caring for my children.

Posted September 6, 2007

My daughter is new to Zachary High School this year and has been placed in honors programs for most of her classes. The discipline is strict, which for this age group of teenagers, I believe is necessary. There is a diverse group of electives and groups for the students to join, including both art and buisness. The teachers all seem to be very caring and interested in the students lives. I am glad we chose Zachary High for our daughter. Great Job and congratulations to the teachers and principle for such a well rounded school. Robin Sharpe

Posted June 28, 2007

I think that the're better teachers now that we have The Freshman acadimy. those teachers are so determinded to get you through the 9th grade. Zachary High is one of the best schools in louisiana...
—Submitted by a student

Posted June 1, 2007

My son had a great 9th grade year at ZHS. Yes, it was a more challenging year than middle school, but high school is more difficult in every aspect. I think the teachers knew my child well and did their best to keep me informed about his progress. I appreciated the JPAMS Parent Command Center because I could keep up with my son's academic progress. I also appreciated how all of his teachers kept up their daily homework pages. I knew what homework my son had and I could monitor his daily work. Some parents just let their kids go without supervision, but I think that it it my responsibility to make sure that he gets the daily help from me until he can prove that he is mature enough to do it all on his own.

Posted May 17, 2006

I am really not pleased with the 9th grade teachers at this school. I think that they need to be more like the middle school and be aware of what is going on with the kids that they are teaching. They need to be more informative with the parents. Extracurricular activities at this school are excellent. The football coach really cares and he is a wonderful man that has helped me with my child. The attendance office is also a big help.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 69% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 64% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 67% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the Louisiana Educational Assessment Program for the 21st Century (LEAP 21) to assess students in grades 4 and 8 in math, English language arts, science and social studies. The LEAP 21 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

In preparation for new assessments in 2014-15, Louisiana is including more common core aligned content in LEAP and iLEAP tests in 2012-13 and in 2013-14. The percent of students earning a proficient score is expected to be lower as a result of this change.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 64% in 2010.

343 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2010.

343 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the integrated Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (iLEAP) to assess students in grades 3, 5, 6, and 7 in math, English language arts, science, and social studies. The iLEAP is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana.

Source: Louisiana Department of Education

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 87% in 2013.

English II

The state average for English II was 93% in 2013.

English III

The state average for English III was 88% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 83% in 2013.

Scale: % basic or above

In 2012-2013 Louisiana used the End-Of-Course (EOC) tests to test grade high school students in English 2, English 3, biology 1, algebra 1 and geometry. The EOC is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Louisiana. The EOC is a high school graduation requirement. The goal is for all students to score at or above basic on the test.

Source: LA Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 37%N/A67%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

4100 School Street