Morse High School

Public | 9-12 | 650 students

Posted November 5, 2010

The level of bullying at MHS has increased alarmingly in the recent years and test scores are declining at a disturbing rate. The teachers and staff remain caring but leadership seems to be struggling. I attended MHS, as did my spouse, siblings, parents and children and the subtle drift from the spirit of the past is noteworthy.

Posted October 17, 2010

Chorus and drama club needs a little TLC

Posted June 29, 2009

amazing. amazing. so proud to have two children attending school at Morse High.

Posted June 10, 2009

I go to this school, this being my first FULL year at Morse. Compared to my old school nearby, Morse seems to be more of a family then of a school. Everyone is friends with each other, the drama happens much less, and everyone seems to enjoy it very much. Morse interacts with the town, and helps the town and the town offers jobs to students and trusts us enough to help them out. I have heard the drop out rate has decreased and the principal is MUCH better. Plus the assemblies are so much better than my old school. Morse is a family, my new family and I feel like I'm at home.

Posted April 29, 2009

I think this school is headed in the right direction. The principal is making a big difference, and over time I think the academics will improve. There are some very good teachers, and some really ineffective ones. The school could be doing more to figure out how to motivate the underachievers. Unfortunately the sports program continues to be the old school, good old boys network, with politics and who you know being the most important factor in some programs.

Posted February 10, 2009

Morse is my home. This is a school full of tradition. The teachers are top of the line and are set on one goal Produce the best possible education for the over 700-800 students. We take pride in our many extra curricular programs. Many Programs like Stage Crew, Drama, Mixed Choir, Jazz Band and combo, Amnesty International, Interact Club, All major Sports. We thrive off these activities placing over 50% of our students active. In the last 4 years the teachers here at Morse have taken the drop out rate down to very low figures. Thus helping students who are near failure turn their life around, and some even taking classes at community colleges. Morse does so much for their students and the communities surround. Morse is my home. My family.

Posted February 6, 2009

Morse High School has always been a good school, but it has become a great school with the most recent administration. The total climate of the school has changed. The new principal lives in Bath, and he is a very visible presence. He attends almost every sporting event; he visits classrooms; he walks the hallways and interacts with the students. Since his coming, Morse has added four AP classes and plans on adding three more next year. The students are happier, the teachers are great. Overall, I couldn't be happier with Morse. My freshman daughter is doing great, and her principal is her advisor as well!

Posted January 29, 2009

I am a graduate of Morse High School. I graduated in '06. I stumbled upon this website. True: Morse is lacking in some areas. For example, funds are poorly appropriated, and there are few AP classes (although recently this has begun to change). However, I survived the experience. I also had some of the best teachers during my 4 year stay at Morse who I have even contacted after graduation. For the most part, the teachers at this school are genuinely interested in the students well-being. Nevertheless, there seemed to be a high level of dropouts and I often felt that students who found school easy were not encouraged to push themselves further . Also, the sciences are not emphasized. My physics class was a joke! My teacher used to play the mandolin during class. Thankfully, this is not typical. In fact, the teachers are the reason this school deserves 4-stars.

Posted November 21, 2008

I just read the review from February 225 and now it's three years later and nothing has changed. Once your child makes a mistake it stays with them through their entire high school career. No forgiveness or innnocent until proven guilty. I think the A/D is very arrogant and does not communicate well with the community, he does of course communicate well with the teenage girls he's around all day. I do find Morse has many supportive teachers now but some of the tenured teachers don't seem to care. I think if you get into trouble during high school, they would rather see you drop out than attempt to help you succedd.

Posted April 3, 2008

Overall, Morse has seemed to put more effort into providing more challenging classes for intelligent students. Many AP classes have been added for next year. The Administration this year, although new, seems involved and willing to work with students and make the environment as postive as possible. Even though it has its fair share of uninvolved, or sometimes even lazy teachers, at Morse there is a group of exceptionally involved and encouraging teachers. There are teachers I can really talk to and respect not just as teachers but as people as well. With the right mix of teachers and the school pride we do have Morse can be a good experience.

Posted September 25, 2005

So, being a student, I've seen a lot of improvements this year so far. We have a new female principle, that loves being involved with the students, and we actually see her almost everyday, unlike our last principle. We have 10 new staff members, I haven't heard anyone complaining about them. Hopefully this year our Basketball team with do better, with their new coach, Mr. Nelson. We are all excited about Spirit week this year, and homecoming. The enviroment in school this year is a lot better.

Posted March 9, 2005

If your child is not at the top of the educational ladder or at the bottom; they are lost in this school system. Our daughter had a horrible freshman year at this school and I found that the teaching staff was not supportive. I tried to e-mail teachers to keep abreast of my child's progress, but no one would respond to my e-mails. I tried to set up a meeting with all of her teachers, but was told that the teachers were too busy. Believe me, my other children did not and will not attend this school. The principal provides poor leadership and is not aware of the issue within his own school.

Posted February 18, 2005

This School has high quanity of kids who have dropped out, or have left to go to a different school because of the schoolstaff doesn't treat the kids as they should be treated.If your son/daughter has done one thing wrong in there past they will not pay very good attention to you and they will come to you when there is a problem in or out of the school.They do not give any second chances, and if the athletic director knew how to treat the kids and pick the right coaching they would have a good set of sports teams, but the way he has everything going is not good at all, I am not impressed at all the way they have the basketball team run lately.

Grade level

Critical Reading

The state average for Critical Reading was 49% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 41% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 43% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or above

In 2012-2013 Maine used the Maine High School Assessment (MHSA) to test students in grade 11 in critical reading, math, writing and science. The results reported show how well students are mastering state standards, specific skills defined by the state of Maine. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Maine Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 3%N/A43%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

826 High St