No rating

George Stevens Academy

Private | 9-12 | 66 students

Living in Blue Hill

Situated in a rural neighborhood. The median home value is $243,400. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $735.

Posted February 19, 2014

GSA has a lot of flaws. I sent my first child here, and after the first semester took her out because I could see that there was a lot of bullying by the students, as well as the adults. My child wasn't feeling challenged in any of the classes. The high school seems to make money over a good education, all they seem to care about is asking for money. The the new head master seemed to care only about money. I'm sorry, but this school has a lot of things that need to be changed, starting with stepping up the learning program. My other three kids have since have attended other high schools in the area. Do yourself and your child a huge favor and send them to a high school in the surrounding area.

Posted January 22, 2014

I am a former student (graduated last year) and I absolutely loved GSA! It was a fantastic environment and the teachers did a fantastic job. The math department and social studies department were phenomenal! Of course there were things that needed to be improved (funding for women's sports in one) but even in the four years that I was there many things were changing and still are! But if you are not a driven, independent student, this may not be the best place for you. They lack special needs support, but we are in a small area with little funding. Overall my experience was fantastic! And I got great scholarships and I'm going to an excellent college!

Posted December 29, 2012

All four of my children have attended this school. All have been top performers athletically and academically and were rewarded with excellent college and scholarship opportunities. While GSA faces financial and physical plant challenges, these are being addressed. The most significant quality I see at GSA is the strong, supportive school/local community and unique setting. We have been very satisfied with our overall experience.

Posted November 6, 2012

The only positive things about this school are the social studies programs, and the pan program. Other than that, no thank you. I transferred to the other high school in this town about a month ago.

Posted October 16, 2012

I am a parent of student that went to GSA, but transferred three years ago. I would just like to say, that I expected better of this school. I had heard positive things about the school. But my daughter was treated terribly by some of the office administration. . But all in all, this school has some serious issues if you dig deeper in. Not a positive environment at all! As for the academics, I was very impressed by the english and art program. There is much work needed if this school wants to progress. Many people agree with me as well. Thank you.

Posted August 22, 2012

I was a student here for a while, and I did enjoy it. But this past winter I was bullied out of the school not only by the students, but by office administration themselves. I do not recommend this school by any means. Though some of the teachers are wonderful, the environment is extremely harsh. I say send your child to Ellsworth, or MDI. Not GSA!

Posted April 12, 2012

My daughter attended GSA for all four years and overall had a first rate education. She applied to 8 colleges and got into 7, including her first choice. Most of her teachers were smart, caring, dedicated people. The schools is small (300+ students) and open to all students in the surrounding community. It also has a small residential program that attracts mostly international students. As a results, GSA has a wonderful "real world" feel to it. The school's facilities are not top-notch, but they are making improvements every year. Bottom line: this school is a gem! If you live in one of the surrounding towns, you pay no tuition: by law, Maine towns without public high schools must pay tuition for their resident students. But even if you live where you must pay tuition, it's a bargain. We could have sent our daughter to a private "prep" school. I'm glad we did not.

Posted April 12, 2012

I have taught at GSA since 2003. It's an exceptionally good school: student-centered and mission-driven. The students are great. The school "looks like" the surrounding community because all local students can attend at no cost. The administration supports its teachers.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 4, 2012

This school was an immense disappointment to me. The environment as a whole had such negative energy. Thought, I do applaud some of the teachers for such great teaching. But overall, I do not recommend this school. GSA has been going downhill rapidly, and is still continuing. I hope this helped.

Posted March 15, 2006

Academic programs: first rate. A little weak in the math department, but very good hard sciences, English, computer science, and social sciences. In addition to a thriving sports program, the school also very successful music, art, drama, and extracuriculars.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 13, 2004

I am a Junior at George Stevens Academy AKA GSA and the best thing about this school is the faculty esp. the office ladys and men strive to get you into different clubs and extra curriculars so colleges will be more likely to accept you. Also it makes your experience more memorable!!

Posted October 17, 2004

As a graduate of GSA i found great changes. For one the athletic depatment needs some serious help. There are too many prejudice in this school. For instanse Boys teams such as basketball and baseball are well funded while the womans softball and basketball are less funded. According to the athletic department it is because of fundraising.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 12% 2%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

23 Union Street