Cumberland Center, ME

Posted May 21, 2013
Yes, it's a great school. That being said, as a parent, I feel that the school needs to be more accessible to parents. Right now, parents are only allowed in the school if they formally volunteer, or if there is a specific event taking place. Otherwise, access to the school is very controlled. I understand the need to provide security, and to protect the learning environment from undue distractions. I love to see what the children are working on in the classroom, or see my daughter in action in music class, or see the art work on the walls. Why are we not allowed to experience this? I can count the number of times we have been "allowed" into our daughters classroom on one hand. We have been asked to participate in countless fundraisers to benefit our children and the school, donated new books to our child's classroom, purchased items from the "foundation 51" group, and otherwise supported this school in everything it does. It's unfortunate that this school is not more welcoming to the children's most important teachers: their parents.

Posted November 26, 2012
This is an excellent school, however there is one thing I would change. My husband and I recently toured the school, and checked out some of the student writing samples and art works on the wall. We were a little put-off by the politically correctness that seems to be taught to our students. I understand that we as parents have to allow our children to be exposed to other opinions and ideas, however I expect that my son will be taught to think for himself, Some of the children were writing about how awful guns are and how they should be banned (my son's father is a registered Maine Guide - is Dad evil for hunting?). I can't stress enough how happy we are with this school - we feel that our son is safe, valued and cared for. I just hope that they are able to teach our children without trying to force values onto our children that may be hurtful to them. To the teacher who had her students write about the evils of firearms: please keep in mind that a lot of Mainers DO hunt and this does not make them bad people. My son was hurt by the idea that people who owns guns (his Dad) are "dangerous" or "bad." Just food for thought! :)

Posted September 19, 2008
Get a start on a great private school education at a public school price!

Mabel I Wilson School 3

Posted August 27, 2005
Too many expensive, experimental programs brought in, regrdless of any track record of effectiveness. Excessive emphasis on athletics. Unchecked spending.

Mabel I Wilson School
353 Tuttle Rd, Cumberland Center, ME  04021
Last modified Mabel I Wilson School is a Public school that serves grades K-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mabel I Wilson School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 4 reviews. Top