11-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers he had for art and life coaching especially were very helpful in connecting with our son where he was, with his various gifts and challenges, and bringing out the best in him!

Amount of homework: no rating

Because Chris did a post-grad year, he did not have homework, so I don't know how to evaluate this.

This school is a bit different. It is better described as a family. Our son spent 12 weeks in wilderness. We began to understand that he needed intensive care and love. The follow up program that we had decided for him would not accept him straight out of wilderness because he was too fragile. Our educational consultant suggested the Deck House. It did not quite seem right because our son had graduated high school. However, the close nit environment seemed right. So, he entered the school with low self-esteem. He felt alone. However, the school and staff were supportive of him and us. With time, he grew to love the people and the school. The school supported his interest in art. One faculty member is an artist, and they arranged for an MFA to visit weekly. He was producing art on a regular basis. His classmates grew to like and love him. The school's strength is its size and caring faculty. The school is flexible in meeting your son's individual needs. Does your son want to learn Chinese, to learn to weld, to learn to sail, to learn to ski, to take AP courses, or learn to cook? This place can meet your son's unique needs. Our son entered with low-self esteem and left a leader.

Our son came to the Deck House School right out of a therapeutic wilderness program. They were so accommodating to his needs and ours.. He did a post grad year and through the school he built self-confidence and life skills. The faculty and staff were very easy to work with and Chris was well cared for and grew significantly from the experience. We liked the connection into the community with service.

Amount of homework: Agree

The school is tailored to each student. No student is lost in the crowd. I think the largest class was four. There were lots of individual classes.

Develops character: Strongly agree

It teaches you that you not only need to be honest with the teachers but since you're living in such close community that you be honest with the other students as well

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

I can't begin on how amazing teachers are here if you want a certain type of teacher that's not normally make no mistake that we will find one, whether its teaching or spanish, or art

Amount of homework: Agree

Its a good amount of work, but not overwhelming I never felt over pressured, very pleased with all aspects.

I was a former student of The Deckhouse school, this school has given me more opportunities to thrive than any other program I've been in, the staff to student ratio is one that you can get no where else, I am confused and even profoundly hurt that this got a 1 star, I wish we had more people rating this place, I know my years here were nothing less than spectacular and well spent. I wish nothing more than to see this school thrive.

We were led to believe that this establishment would be an alternative type of high school setting when indeed it felt more like a warehouse until the students were old enough to leave. There was never proper, established instruction as some classes didn't take place, took months to organize, and sometimes even took place in the corridor while others strolled around. Some students didn't attend class even though the classes are held in the same building. Behavior and substances that are not legal were ignored and safety was not paramount. We were sold a bill of goods never delivered. We have tremendous regrets and guilt for entrusting the place.

Last modified The Deck House School is a Private school that serves grades 11-12