Bad
Good

These comments are outrageous I currently attend GNGHS and I do great in school and have never been bullied. The teachers are great and I have access to anything I need to further my education. I have gone to GNG schools since kindergarten and the teachers have been wonderful every single year. At the middle and high schools there are many clubs and sports teams available for all students. All those parents talking about the bully problem have no clue what they're saying teachers can only do so much about bullies at some point the student needs to take things into their own hands and confront them. I would highly recommend this school district for parents with kids that are any age.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

No school district would hire a teacher that they don't feel is qualified for the job. Some students don't like teachers due to conflicting teaching styles, but thats when a student needs to learn to adapt

Amount of homework: Agree

This is a matter of opinion and it depends on the class and teacher. When people complain about stress it's usually because of poor time management. I have never had too much homework people just need to learn to plan

Develops character: Strongly agree

The GNG school community always develops students in a way so they become good people. But honestly I don't think that there is a school in Maine that doesn't teach kids to become good people. If your child turns out to be a bad person like a druggy or something like that theres a good chance that its not the schools fault and the parents need to take the blame for their kid. Stop blaming schools for kids problems as an excuse for why you're a poor parent.

My oldest son had straight A's,but was bullied.When i went to the school for help we felt on trial.Teachers,counselors Beasley noone seemed to care.The school told him try harder to fit in.Really?I pulled him out of school and sent him to private where he thrived in every way,but can't afford to do it for all my kids.My son is a senior now and taking classes to be a lawyer.He wants to help other kids that are actually at school to learn and can be protected.My second oldest seems to handle the bullies but his grades suffer for it.Due to miss management over run classes he has been switched to another lunch and can no longer be with the friends he has made.The school is again uncooperative or supportive in understanding how hard it really is and how hard they make it.Parents don't let your kids be bullies and let's not bully each other.We need to set a good example.School/life is not about brand names or money.It's about your education,love,caring and working together to make this a better safer world to live in.My experience started in my own neighborhood Dunn middle now high school.Pathetic.I am surrounded by ignorance.Money is not everything.Jesus loves us all.

I used to go to GNG. I went here for 5 years. And most of it was terrible. The bullying policy's are terrible and I don't think/reccomend this school in my opinion..

The high school has recently added the IB program and is changing to a standards based system; this should greatly increase the academic challenges for the students and raise the expectation levels. I've seen a change in the overall attitude for the better in the last few years, for an example the Community Service Club has over 100 members and they have done some remarkable things. My only issue is that my son just graduated and will miss out on many of these positive changes.

Wow, if you are using this website to determine the excellence or failure of a school..you are crazy. Besides the latest entry being over 2 years old, it sincerely does NOT reflect what type of education your child will receive. I truly believe that all schools have their flaws and that some are better at hiding them than others, but a student and their parents are what make an education a positive experience, and a student's and their parents apathy are what make it a negative experience. My child is a sophomore at GNG and he is a successful student. Why? Because his father and I are parents that are partners with him and with the school to make sure his education is the best. There are great teachers and maybe some not so great..that is EVERY school in this country. It is a parents job to make sure that your child knows how important an education is and to make sure that your child is working hard in each and every class. In addition, his parents have participated as classroom helpers, coaches, board members etc. This school has made fantastic strides in the past few years and I believe it will continue to make even more! Making your decision by visiting the school.

I am a graduating senior, heading out into the world in two months. It's a great school that's made gargantuan strides recently in athletics, academics, and pride. The teachers are highly qualified, with almost all of them having graduate degrees (either M.S. or PhD). The recent implementation of the IB program gives parents something to look forward to if they have a student coming up through the system who seems qualified for such a challenging course of study. The new alternative education program also keeps students who may have served only as a distraction out of other classrooms and in an environment with councilors and constant attention for their individual needs. Beware that the lunch program is expensive, ouch! It's going great at GNG. Now if only the district's middle school can keep up the supply of articulate and flexible students. I, however, don't foresee that happening.

Not only is the office staff welcoming and helpful, but the teachers are dynamic and enthusiastic and will take the time to discuss issues one-on-one. They seem to truly care about the students. The guidance councilors make special efforts to assure that students are taking classes of the appropriate level - I have experienced this first-hand. This is a school where things are always improving. Soon, they will be offering the International Baccalaureate (IB) program! And since they renovated the building a few years ago, it is really a pleasant place to be. Also, the cross-country ski trails are INCREDIBLE!

Last modified Gray-New Gloucester High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.