No rating

Russell School

Public | K-2 | 271 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 1, 2014

This school does NOT handle kids with special needs or learning disabilities well. They claim they don't have the resources. Staff is pleasant but can be hard to communicate with. The transportation dept has been awful. Really hoping things will get better for my child.

Posted August 30, 2010

My son attended this school and I agree the lunch period is just too short. A lot of times he didn't have time to finish his lunch. I sometimes wonder how this might have affected his and others learning. This seems to be the same case with Dunn as I noticed they had only alloted 20 minutes for lunch this year. The teachers are hit or miss as some teachers personalities can be considered quite rigid while others are more easy going. My son and his 1st grade teacher did not get along well, which impacted his view of school, but K and 2nd grade he loved his teachers. He still remembers how much he disliked that 1st grade teacher. Don't be afraid to stand up for your son or daughter if you feel the teacher is unduly hard on them, as we did and this seemed to help.

Posted August 26, 2008

My son receives special services at Russell and I am extremely pleased with the Special Ed teacher as well as all of the ed techs. They really try to determine what's best for my son specifically and are not trying to use the same approach for all kids. They are willing to adjust plans based on his needs for a particular day. Some of the therapists are better than others but overall, a great experience.

Posted May 24, 2008

Great school... and many parents appreciate that this is a peanut-free zone. Keeps all kids safe. Hard to say that that's a bad thing. The teachers here are very caring.

Posted November 5, 2007

We are new to the area and my daughter is a kindergartener. I love the home town feel of the school. A couple of complaints: I don't like that it is a peanut free zone. I also don't like that the lunch periods are so short. So my only complaints are with the lunch period. The teachers, and the principal are great!

Posted June 13, 2006

This is a wonderful neighborhood type school. The teachers and staff are the best. They are finishing up their first year of all day kindergarden. What a difference this has made in the students. Much needed repairs to the building will begin this summer. I can't think of any other place I would rather send my daughter to school.

Posted June 20, 2005

My daughter just finished her first year in Kindergarten and I have been very happy with what I have experienced at Russell school. The teachers are great and the new principal is top notch. Mr. Joseph adds a lot to the school system and they are lucky to have him. The only thing I find dissapointing is the condition of the school. Its really a sad sight.

Posted September 25, 2004

Our first year here..My son is in kindergarten. The teacher's are wonderful. We have a new principal this year. He brings with him lots of ideas and energy which is ideal.

Asian 1% 1%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 28%N/A43%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

8 Gray Park