Jay, ME

Jay Elementary School 2

Posted January 24, 2014
Not a very good school. Consolidation has done nothing positive for the students. Confidentiality and leadership are solely lacking, with the school culture at odds with the external world. My child has learned nothing that I wasn't teaching, or able to teach, him. Children are labeled in order to get even the basics, with teachers constantly whining about frustrating, though age-appropriate, behaviors. The primary focus seems to be on obedience, a punishment model, with even Kindergarten children face suspensions for behaviors. Even when asked to focus on the positive, there's still a focus on what a child does wrong. Too much focus on testing and posturing by the school-board, with not enough progress regarding self-esteem, decreased bullying, and actual learning.

Jay Elementary School 1

Posted November 15, 2011
I was a student at Jay Elementary when it WAS a good school. It is not a good school anymore. If you like, you can certainly try and defend it by saying the consolidation with Livermore Falls complicated things, but I have had problems with the school since before the merger was considered. They have lost my son three times and not known where he was. There is little or no school to parent contact, I have to initiate and calls are almost never returned. The teachers gossip and neglect children based on past experiences of other teachers. The school is severely lacking in structure and organization. Policies only apply to certain students and is completely ignored for others. Once your child is in trouble once, they will be the rest of the year because they have been labeled a "problem child" and the teachers openly discuss it with anyone who will listen. Despite having lived in Jay for nearly 30 years and attending the school my entire childhood, I am moving OUT of the town to get my children away from this backwards, ill-run mess of a school. If you're considering moving to Jay, teach your children at home. Jay is a terrible institution.

Jay Elementary School 0

Posted April 07, 2010
I can't believe Great Schools only gave this school a 4. I had the privilege of working at this school for 2 years and I have to say this is the best school I have ever seen! The teachers are all wonderful and very caring, and the students really are the sweetest you could find!

Jay Elementary School 5

Posted May 24, 2005
We just moved here and the school really welcomed us. They were all ready to meet my little girl. She has special needs and they really have offered us more help and support then I expected. They keep me really involved in all aspects. Paige adores all the teachers and really enjoys going. Her home room teacher acts as an advocate for her, making sure she can join in with her class for any activities she would enjoy. And also to inform us on what is available for her. They have really made this a great start for all of us.

Jay Elementary School
12 Tiger Dr, Jay, ME  04239
Last modified Jay Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jay Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 4 reviews. Top