Bad
Good

I went to this school in the 3rd grade and I am a 7th grader this year. 2nd worst school I have other been to. Bullying is a huge problem, I got bullied a lot and so did my friends. For gods sakes one day on the playground there were other 3rd graders reenacting s*x on the playground! How could the teachers let that happen! When I was there I learned nothing at all. Waste of time. The teachers constantly labeled students and gossiped, I was a teachers pet because I didn't want to be known as the bad kid the rest of the year. Almost all the kids that go there are very rough and are a bad influence on kids, I wish I kept to myself and didn't make friends when I was there. The kids were very very very bad influences on me and my siblings. It is also very unclean too. I remember going there and the bathrooms were very very unclean and same for the classrooms. I remember when the teacher didn't have a lot of teaching plans she would take us to the computer lab and let us play on the computers like webkinz and buildabearville and stuff. In the end DO NOT let your children go here coming from a former student. Rather do homeschooling than go here.

Not a very good school. Consolidation has done nothing positive for the students. Confidentiality and leadership are solely lacking, with the school culture at odds with the external world. My child has learned nothing that I wasn't teaching, or able to teach, him. Children are labeled in order to get even the basics, with teachers constantly whining about frustrating, though age-appropriate, behaviors. The primary focus seems to be on obedience, a punishment model, with even Kindergarten children face suspensions for behaviors. Even when asked to focus on the positive, there's still a focus on what a child does wrong. Too much focus on testing and posturing by the school-board, with not enough progress regarding self-esteem, decreased bullying, and actual learning.

I was a student at Jay Elementary when it WAS a good school. It is not a good school anymore. If you like, you can certainly try and defend it by saying the consolidation with Livermore Falls complicated things, but I have had problems with the school since before the merger was considered. They have lost my son three times and not known where he was. There is little or no school to parent contact, I have to initiate and calls are almost never returned. The teachers gossip and neglect children based on past experiences of other teachers. The school is severely lacking in structure and organization. Policies only apply to certain students and is completely ignored for others. Once your child is in trouble once, they will be the rest of the year because they have been labeled a "problem child" and the teachers openly discuss it with anyone who will listen. Despite having lived in Jay for nearly 30 years and attending the school my entire childhood, I am moving OUT of the town to get my children away from this backwards, ill-run mess of a school. If you're considering moving to Jay, teach your children at home. Jay is a terrible institution.

I can't believe Great Schools only gave this school a 4. I had the privilege of working at this school for 2 years and I have to say this is the best school I have ever seen! The teachers are all wonderful and very caring, and the students really are the sweetest you could find!

Last modified Jay Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-3. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.