Kents Hill School

Private | 9-12 | 232 students

Living in Kents Hill

Situated in a rural neighborhood. The median home value is $149,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $679.

Sweep tile

Posted October 10, 2013

The quality of teachers and sense of community that students experience at Kents Hill is like no other place around. Students are nurtured while they grow to be more independent and find their true academic interest. I wouldn't be half the person I am today without Kents Hill and I know so many who feel the same way. It is way way more than just a school and is such a special place for so many people.

Posted September 6, 2013

I would be very careful about sending my child to KHS. I withdrew my son after attending the 10th grade after finding many operational issues within KHS. It was a educational based decision. I proactively informed head varsity hockey coach of my decision & that my son would be transferring to a new school. Coach tried to convince us to stay. After telling him this was a done deal, he became rude & disrespectful asking me "haven't I been fair w/ you people". He went further blocking my son from training at Alfond Ctr after ice sch was confirmed for summer workouts. We recieved email informing us that since my son wasn't returning to KHS he was no longer welcomed to skate at rink. Then we were told that we could use the KHS grounds in anyway as we were told to leave the football field while my son was doing off-ice training. Please note that all the facilities are open to the public. Everybody at KHS wished my son well, but the head coach who went out of his way to block a 16 yr old boy from trying to better himeself. Stopping a boy from working to improve. I'll add that the 2 schools don't even play each other. Again, I'd be very careful about sending my child to KHS.

Posted September 1, 2013

Our son is a 4 year graduate with honors from KHS 13'. He played many sports with the school primarily he was a 4 year varsity hockey player. He moved 1500 miles from home at 14 years old. That would never have happened w/o the family environment the school offers. He is currently talking with 4 Ivy League schools and a Hockey East school. This couldn't happen without the outstanding curriculum, staff and coaching KHS provided the last 4 years. This season he is playing in the USPHL Premier league and is looking forward to following his dream of playing division 1 hockey. Kents Hill is a great stepping stone for whatever your child's college ambitions are. We would not change a thing.

Posted August 31, 2013

My son attended the 10th grade at KHS, after graduating from The Rectory School in CT. The Rectory School is a great school that I can highly recommend. The same can NOT be said for KHS. This school is a complete mess. The Headmaster has been fired after just 2 years. The current Headmaster is there only on a temporary basis, 2 yrs max. Each & every marking period, my son's schedule was posted wrong online on KHS website. 2nd marking period KHS didn't have books for my son's class for 2 weeks, but held him accountable for work. In Chinese class, teacher went to seminar during finals oral presentation & had her husband! come to class & record presentations which she would review & grade when she returned. There are too many other schools out there that do not have any of these problems for you to waste your child's time & your money. My son has transferred to a new school. KHS needs time, perhaps up to 5 yrs to get their school back on track. A proud school that is living off its reputation. Almost no school spirit was evident & student life was lackluster with no real student activities planned regularly for each wkend. I feel you have many other choices of better schools.

Posted July 17, 2013

Kents Hill School has a wonderful sense of community. The school works hard with every student to bring out his/her best qualities and to empower each student to be responsible for his/her own future. Students with differences are clearly accepted by the other students in more mature atmosphere than many public schools. Kents Hill sets the bar very high for the students, and most of the students reach or exceed those standards. The financial sacrifice is well worth the education. High moral values and character are valued at the school both by staff and by fellow students. Peer pressure is strong to succeed. Even though the school is primarily a boarding school, I rated the school high on Parent involvement due to the rating criteria. The school certainly tries to partnership with the parents, whether they are local or from another state/country. It is truly up to the parent to jump on board.

Posted July 17, 2013

I am a student at Kents Hill going into my senior year in the fall of 2013. Kents Hill is a small college prep school in Readfield, Maine. I love this school. The teachers are always there to give you the extra help you need and the feel of the community is like a family. I am very happy in every aspect of the school and couldn't wish for anything more in my high school experience. Kents Hill has done a wonderful job making me confident in everything I do!

Posted May 26, 2013

Kents Hill provides a kind of "bubble" from the outside world. And within its spherical walls are a whole lot of folks who wish to help you. I found so much kindness from the faculty and my fellow classmates and I can only hope that I did the same. The sheer beauty of the place is breathtaking, especially in the fall. Just beware of the harsh Maine winters. And it's on a hill, so the wind factor is atrocious. Still, there are a couple of fireplaces about, and the one in the newly built Learning Center is wonderful to curl up in a chair next to. I wish that the quality of the food was better, or at least have better quality vegetables. One shouldn't have to resort to Lucky Charms and bagels to get through the day. And as far as academics go, I think that a course in philosophy and economics should be required! Still. I had an extraordinary four-year experience living there and I can't thank my parents enough for allowing me to attend. I tried things that I never had before, like fencing and softball, and fell in love with both. Thank you Kents Hill School!

Posted February 22, 2013

DON'T GO HERE!! I don't really know where these wonderful reviews come from... I went to this school for four years and I can tell you it is nothing like what has been described by others. I would say that around 90% of the students here are miserable constantly. There is absolutely nothing to do on campus and going into Augusta gets boring after the first 2 months or so. Since the newest headmaster began the school has taken a nose dive. They are trying to expand the amount of students going here, but by doing so are accepting kids with absolutely no intelligence. I kid you not there was a student who had no idea the president was part of the government. There is absolutely no school spirit aside from color week (don't even get me started on that...). The biggest problem of all is the fact that the Dean of Students has literally an unfathomable amount of power over everything. She takes out her anger and frustration on students by not allowing them to get points cleared and does not care if she puts the wrong people in detention and restriction. It has gotten to the point of being unbearable and I can say that the only thing keeping me going at this point is thoughts of college

Posted November 13, 2010

I highly recommend this school if you are looking for a sense of community and support for your student. There is a lot of collaboration--it is not an overly competive environment.

Posted August 3, 2010

My borther and I spent all four years at Kents Hill. KH was and is an amazing place and I hope that I can someday send my kids there. They have amazing faculty, wonderful staff, great programs, lots of diversity, and the headmaster (Bonnefond) has built the most wonderful community. I enjoy every moment I am back on the campus and I have high hopes for its future! Thank you KH for my education.

Posted March 31, 2010

It has been a sacrifice financially for us to send our son to Kents Hill, but it has been well worth it. He has blossomed in many ways, taking chances, like acting in plays, that he never would have in his old school. They have gotten to know him, shown him that they care about him and his future, and that they believe in his potential. He is has matured a great deal and has come to understand that the adults in his life aren't the enemy, but usually want to help him succeed. He had mixed feelings about leaving his old high school, but now is very glad he did. All in all, a very caring, supportive environment for young people.

Posted April 19, 2009

Kents Hill School provided me with 2 outstanding years of excellence in education and a spirit of collegiality. I really owe my positive metamorphysis to Kents Hill and wound up as a physician, now retired. Our youngest daughter derived similar benefits from her 2 year attendance there. A wonderful school for kids in need of the school's exemplary offerings. Don't overlook the opportunity for your child to attend a superb educational experience.

Posted July 26, 2008

My time as a student at Kents Hill was one of the most positively enriching experiences of my life. I owe much of who I've become today to the teachers who supported my personal development both as a student and a human being. I will always reflect fondly upon my 3 years at KH. It is with much support and gratitude that I write this shining review.

Posted May 9, 2008

We are indeed fortunate that our daughter is at Kents Hill. The warmth and diversity of the community, the commitment of the faculty and the superb academics have afforded her a wealth of opportunities and the confidence to sieze them. The faculty are a constant presence on the campus - morning, noon, night and weekends - and are responsive to questions and concerns. We are indeed fortunate that our daughter is at Kents hill.

Posted May 8, 2008

As a junior who has been at Kents Hill since freshman year, I have to say there has not been one day I haven't smiled here. The atmosphere is great - teachers are always available and other students are so friendly! There is always something to do and you never do the same thing twice. As a day student, there is no disconnection. As a proctor, I am in the dorms a lot. They are friendly and warm. Because they are small, you get to know other students very well. It is like a huge family. Classes are challenging, but there is always help. Being someone who came to Kents Hill in their siblings footsteps, there was no comparison of the two of us. Each person is an individual at Kents Hill, but we work together as a community to make a difference.

Posted May 8, 2008

As a four-year student approaching my graduation from Kents Hill I have nothing but high praises for Kents Hill School. I'm not going to say everyone should come to Kents Hill because there are different fits for everyone. However, if your student is someone willing to challenge themselves everyday, learn new skills from hands on classroom experiences and pursue leadership opportunities.... Kents Hill is the right place. I have no regrets about my past four years and I know that the encouragement and support I recieved at Kents Hill have led me to be the person I am today. Looking at graduation and the world beyond this place, I can safely say that I am ready to succeed in college and make a difference in the world. I give my experience at Kents Hill 5 stars and reccomend it anyone who desires to challenge themselves and work to their highest potential.

Posted August 17, 2007

all i can say about this school is WOW!! All seven of my childeren are alumni and 4 of them are now at ivy league universities studying law and medicine. The other two are at R.P.I studying bio-chemical engineering. My childeren and I owe this success to Kents Hill School. It would not have happend without them.

Posted May 18, 2007

After our son has attended one year (freshman) we are more than qualified to advise prospective students and parents to proceed very carefully with Kents Hill School. The school has serious administrative difficulties which translate into an unsafe living environment for the students. The school is generally unresponsive to parental concerns about academic programs and student safety.

Posted August 30, 2006

Our daughter had a wonderful experience at Kents Hill. On our first visit with the staff, and the students, she knew this was a great fit for her. We found her teachers were always available and extremely helpful. The advantage of her being at a boarding school was amazing.During our years at Kents Hill we never came across a concern with the supervision of our daughter.We found she was challenging herself to the next level. Her participation in many different school activities was very rewarding to her. This experience has prepared her for college,and she has become more well rounded in many areas. Kents Hill has been a very positive growth experience for our daughter.

Posted January 26, 2006

I disagree with the previosu parent. Of course Kents Hill is not in the elite prep school group but it does offer advantages. As a junior day student, my son is exposed to a much more diverse community than he would be in public school and is much more challenged academically. He is learning to work harder and take more responsibility for his work. I do agree about the lack of dorm supervision. Some of the academics are great, others not so hot. But without fail teachers and administrators have been very responsive any time I have raised a question or issue. I am confident he will be much better prepared for college and will receive much more college guidance than in the public school.

Asian 13% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab